Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Dedicated Servers

Dedicated Servers

Peter

Hi

Can I buy space on a Dedicated Server and rent that space to others. I ask
this because I have many small clients who I create website for. If I could
point all their URLs to my dedicated server I could have them some $$ and
make a little as well..

An example of what I mean is in this add I found on the FreeParking site

http://hosting.freeparking.co.nz/dedicated/

Any advice please

cheers Peter..

EMB

Peter wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can I buy space on a Dedicated Server and rent that space to others. I ask
> this because I have many small clients who I create website for. If I could
> point all their URLs to my dedicated server I could have them some $$ and
> make a little as well..
>
> An example of what I mean is in this add I found on the FreeParking site
>
> http://hosting.freeparking.co.nz/dedicated/
>
> Any advice please

Buy a server, set it up yourself and get it telehoused somewhere (ihug,
Maxnet, etc, etc)

--
EMB

-=rjh=-

Peter wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can I buy space on a Dedicated Server and rent that space to others. I ask
> this because I have many small clients who I create website for. If I could
> point all their URLs to my dedicated server I could have them some $$ and
> make a little as well..
>
> An example of what I mean is in this add I found on the FreeParking site
>
> http://hosting.freeparking.co.nz/dedicated/
>
> Any advice please

Why not get a reseller account with someone who offers them? They are
designed for the sort of thing you are offering, but with lower entry
cost and more flexibility.

http://iserve.co.nz/enhancedplan.php is one example, there are others
available.

thing

Peter wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can I buy space on a Dedicated Server and rent that space to others. I ask
> this because I have many small clients who I create website for. If I could
> point all their URLs to my dedicated server I could have them some $$ and
> make a little as well..

Yes.

> An example of what I mean is in this add I found on the FreeParking site
>
> http://hosting.freeparking.co.nz/dedicated/
>
> Any advice please
>

> cheers Peter..

Your options are (at least),

1) Rent space and sub-rent it.
2) Rent a dedicated server and sub rent it.
3) Get your own server co-locate it (ie host it in ihug's server room
and sub rent it.
4) Get your own server and keep it in-house and sub-rent it.

It really depends on your comfort zone.

1) & 2) have advantages, if based in the US then probably minimal
bandwidth charges and lowest rent cost. Dis-advantages are what happens
if the provider disappears, can you guarantee data backups? and the
server is kept patched? Network should be more available.

3) Means hosted in NZ, the network backbone looks a bit shoddy, and data
charges are higher...

4) Has the advantage you have the comfort knowing you look after it so
know its patched, know its backed up. If you are ruuning it on a cable
modem though data charges might be an issue.

It is up to you to think through what your priorities are and what the
costs are to get what you want.

regards

thing