Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Firefox taking over the world :)

Firefox taking over the world :)

DoggNZ

thing

DoggNZ wrote:
> http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...25700B0016777C

IBMs' anything but MS mantra....

Then the security issues,

http://www.internetnews.com/commenta...le.php/3506666

So jumping because its safer and not MS are not really good reasons.

regards

thing

Matthew Poole

On Wed, 25 May 2005 09:52:15 +1200, someone purporting to be thing doth
scrawl:

> DoggNZ wrote:
>> http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...25700B0016777C

> IBMs' anything but MS mantra....
>
> Then the security issues,
>
> http://www.internetnews.com/commenta...le.php/3506666
>
> So jumping because its safer and not MS are not really good reasons.

It's still safer than IE. Do some vulnerability counts between IE and FF,
and see how many are of the varying security levels. IE is considerably
more vulnerable than FF, even with the latest FF bugs - also, a lot of the
vulnerabilities released for FF are concept vulnerabilities that apply to
IE, or would if IE was as standards-compliant as FF is, such as the
unicode domain names exploit, which will become a problem for IE when it
catches up to FF and support it.

Moving because FF is standards-compliant is as good a reason as any. The
more people who switch, the greater the impetus for developers to code to
the W3C standards rather than for the IE "standard".

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thing <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>DoggNZ wrote:
>> http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...25700B0016777C

>IBMs' anything but MS mantra....
>
>Then the security issues,
>
>http://www.internetnews.com/commenta...le.php/3506666

Quote:

The fact is, Firefox isn't impervious to malicious code, and it's not
perfectly safe. But ''not perfectly safe'' hardly is another way of
saying ''just as bad as IE''. And as someone who believes genuine
competition is better for technology users, I'm worried that IE users
who might have been tempted to switch to Firefox may back off because
they think the open-source browser is no better than Microsoft's
enabler of malware mayhem.

PAM.

"Matthew Poole" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> It's still safer than IE. Do some vulnerability counts between IE and FF

I prefer to use Windows Explorer and Outlook to do my browsing on my work
PC.

"Holes!" They cried. "They're full of holes."

hole-fan PAM.

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thing <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>DoggNZ wrote:
>>
>>>http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...25700B0016777C

>>IBMs' anything but MS mantra....
>>
>>Then the security issues,
>>
>>http://www.internetnews.com/commenta...le.php/3506666

> Quote:
>
> The fact is, Firefox isn't impervious to malicious code, and it's not
> perfectly safe. But ''not perfectly safe'' hardly is another way of
> saying ''just as bad as IE''. And as someone who believes genuine
> competition is better for technology users, I'm worried that IE users
> who might have been tempted to switch to Firefox may back off because
> they think the open-source browser is no better than Microsoft's
> enabler of malware mayhem.

MS no doubt will have some 'facts' somewhere on the web that show IE is
safer than competing browsers. 'Average Joes' are far too gullible, and
thats why MS succeed with their FUD campaign...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.