Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Working with 2 computer monitors

Working with 2 computer monitors

Peter

Hi

Has anyone got any comments about using two monitors.

Does it help you be more productive?

Slow your computer down too much (I have a Pentium4 1.5 GHz)

What card would you recommend?

Cheers Peter...

Adam Cameron

> Has anyone got any comments about using two monitors.
> Does it help you be more productive?

I laughed at the first few people I saw doing this as being a bit precious,
but then I had a chance to try it, and would never go back to using only
one monitor ever again (he says, working on just one monitor

Same experience from everyone else in our team.

> Slow your computer down too much (I have a Pentium4 1.5 GHz)

I do it on a P3 1000Mhz no worries.

> What card would you recommend?

I'm not the right person to ask that, as I don't keep track of what's
good/bad/indifferent in hardware.

I think I've got a Radeon 9600 or something like that: works fine. But
I've had much lesser cards than that, and it was also fine. Indeed when I
first started running two monitors, I had one crappy AGP onboard card and a
crappy PCI card (ie: cheapest I could get) for the second one. And that
was fine too. I don't think you need to break the bank.

--

Adam

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Adam Cameron wrote:
>>Has anyone got any comments about using two monitors.
>>Does it help you be more productive?

> I laughed at the first few people I saw doing this as being a bit precious,
> but then I had a chance to try it, and would never go back to using only
> one monitor ever again (he says, working on just one monitor
>
> Same experience from everyone else in our team.
>

>>Slow your computer down too much (I have a Pentium4 1.5 GHz)

> I do it on a P3 1000Mhz no worries.
>

>>What card would you recommend?

> I'm not the right person to ask that, as I don't keep track of what's
> good/bad/indifferent in hardware.

I use a Matrox Millenium 16MB at home, they are the best for this sort
of thing, but still fairly expensive to get hold of, and the newer
Matrox cards are the same, in both way, good and expensive.

The Radeon and Geforce both do dual monitor, even some of the entry
level ones($150).

cowboyz

On Wed, 25 May 2005 02:37:22 +1200, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Has anyone got any comments about using two monitors.
> Does it help you be more productive?
>
> Slow your computer down too much (I have a Pentium4 1.5 GHz)
>
> What card would you recommend?
>

> Cheers Peter...

I've been using dual monitors for a few years now. Every time I work on
another workstation I find myself wishing for more room. I use 2 17 inch
at 1024 each on a 9800pro and it works a treat. Before this Ihad a
GF4MX460,GF4 mx440 GF2MX + PCI S3trio2meg and all combinations worked
great. Pretty much any card has a model that does dual monitor these
days. As for performance, I only use dual monitor in 2d mode so it is not
a strain on anything really. In fact, I have tried to get 3d working over
2 monitors but the game needs to support it and I haven't had very much
luck with the little time I have put in to it. The main advantages come
from when you are actually working though.
Productive. For sure. More space to lay everything out in front of you.
I wouldn't recommend getting a flash 3d card unless that was part of a
planned upgrade anyway. If you have a spare PCI slot at the moment I
would look around for a very cheap s3 trio card to see if you like it
first. Whatever you do get a app called UltraMon. It is brillant for
managing multi monitors. Single click to turn one off if you want to play
a game. (Some games you don't need to turn the monitor off but some don't
detect the edge of the screen (like traffic Giant so you can't scroll left
with mouse cause the mouse just goes to the other screen)

--
Luck usually comes to those who do not include it in their plans.

Hoot

Peter wrote:
> Hi
>
> Has anyone got any comments about using two monitors.
>
> Does it help you be more productive?
>
> Slow your computer down too much (I have a Pentium4 1.5 GHz)
>
> What card would you recommend?
>

> Cheers Peter...

Dual monitors are absolutely brilliant for graphics work. Have your
image on the primary display,uncluttered, all your Photoshop or
Paintshop tools on the secondary. Also very good for web design. I have
a Matrox Millenium - wouldn't be without it.

thing

Peter wrote:
> Hi
>
> Has anyone got any comments about using two monitors.
>
> Does it help you be more productive?
>
> Slow your computer down too much (I have a Pentium4 1.5 GHz)
>
> What card would you recommend?
>

> Cheers Peter...

My box is a dual p3-1000 and a Matrox 400max. For normal use I dont
think it achieves a lot, also I have found that my neck movements start
to get large as my head pans across both monitors, so is an extra
noticable strain.

For some things though like music recording where I use lots of various
open windows some very wide but short, 2 x 21 inch monitors makes life a
lot easier.

regards

Thing

Dave - Dave.net.nz

thing wrote:
> My box is a dual p3-1000 and a Matrox 400max. For normal use I dont
> think it achieves a lot, also I have found that my neck movements start
> to get large as my head pans across both monitors, so is an extra
> noticable strain.

heh, move them further away for you.
you shouldn't need to move your neck much if at all, it should be eye
movement only.

Richard

Peter wrote:
> Hi
>
> Has anyone got any comments about using two monitors.
>
> Does it help you be more productive?
>
> Slow your computer down too much (I have a Pentium4 1.5 GHz)
>
> What card would you recommend?

I prefer one decent screen then 2 smaller low res ones.

I have 2 ATI raedons in here from when I needed 2 DVIs during my TFT phase, the
PCI one was the cheapest there was with TV and DVI out on it, did the job fine,
but not a match on the old geforce 2 mx for overlay support. My main card in
here is a raedon 9000 cheapie (was $120 for a 64 meg card when I got it) - does
2048x1536 fine, and I dont have a problem with 60Hz so not a worry for me.

Dave Taylor

"Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Does it help you be more productive?
>
> Slow your computer down too much (I have a Pentium4 1.5 GHz)

I don't, but I don't write code. My friend who writes code has 3 monitors.
He said 4 was too many but 3 is just right. He sees raw code on one
monitor, the work in another, and the third for browsing help, surfing or
whatever.
It does not slow down your PC.
It does make you more productive.

--
Ciao, Dave

GJ

Peter wrote:
> Hi
>
> Has anyone got any comments about using two monitors.
>
> Does it help you be more productive?
>
> Slow your computer down too much (I have a Pentium4 1.5 GHz)
>
> What card would you recommend?
>

> Cheers Peter...

I just started a contract with a bank and have seen the dealing floor.
Each dealer has 4 monitors. I on the other hand now have 2 monitors for
the first time ever. I am finding it really useful when writing
documentation. It is nice to have more space to refer to information
when working. I am doing a lot less alt-tabs. Overall I find some things
a easier to do with 2 monitors b ut it will take a while until I am
totally used to it.

As to PC specs, I found out on Monday my PC is a HP Xeon with 2 2.8Ghz
processors sp speed is not currently an issue.

GJ