Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Mobile Celeron, Celeron M, Pentium M - Please explain

Mobile Celeron, Celeron M, Pentium M - Please explain

Nova

~misfit~ wrote:
> Impossible wrote:
>
>>"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>>>Nova wrote:
>>>*snip*

>>>only the later ones have 2Mbytes of cache... there is plenty of old
>>>stock sitting around in the shops with only 1MB... not that the 1MB
>>>one is slow, just that on some applications you may notice, some,
>>>not all by anymeans.

>>Along these lines, what you need to look for is a Pentium M 700 series
>>processor. There are two types here -- one newer, one older -- though
>>the performance difference between them is virtually nil, and the
>>older type may well be a little less expensive.
>>
>>Newer: Pentium M 730 runs at 1.6GHz, a 750 at 1.86Ghz, etc up to 770.

> Dothan. 90nm, 2MB L2 Cache.
>

>>Older: Pentium M 715 runs at 1.5Ghz, 725 at 1.6Ghz, etc, up to 755

> Banias. 130nm, 1MB L2 cache.

There must be later versions of the banias with 2 megs of L2..
As my cpu is a pentium m 725 1.6 and has 2 megs of L2..

>>Unbelievably confusing, I know, but there you go.

> http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/20040510/index.html
>
> "In a direct comparison between the old Pentium M 1.7 GHz and the new Dothan
> with 2.0 GHz, the newcomer clearly manages to gain the upper hand. In some
> of the benchmarks, the mobile CPU produced with 90-nm technology is up to
> 22% faster. Even if you only consider the difference in clock speed between
> the two CPUs, Dothan still offers a 5% advantage.
> The results of the battery life benchmarks show the benefits of 90-nm
> process technology. The two test systems were identical, except for the
> CPUs, and gave nearly the same results."
> --
> ~misfit~

Nova

Nova wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> Impossible wrote:
>>
>>> "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Along these lines, what you need to look for is a Pentium M 700 series
>>> processor. There are two types here -- one newer, one older -- though
>>> the performance difference between them is virtually nil, and the
>>> older type may well be a little less expensive.
>>>
>>> Newer: Pentium M 730 runs at 1.6GHz, a 750 at 1.86Ghz, etc up to 770.

>> Dothan. 90nm, 2MB L2 Cache.
>>

>>> Older: Pentium M 715 runs at 1.5Ghz, 725 at 1.6Ghz, etc, up to 755

>> Banias. 130nm, 1MB L2 cache.

> There must be later versions of the banias with 2 megs of L2..
> As my cpu is a pentium m 725 1.6 and has 2 megs of L2..

I take that back, i just ran sisoft and apparently i have a dothan..
the shop lists my cpu as a 725, i guess they got it wrong on their site.
now i am extra happy, got more than i bargained for!

>>> Unbelievably confusing, I know, but there you go.

>> http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/20040510/index.html
>>
>> "In a direct comparison between the old Pentium M 1.7 GHz and the new
>> Dothan
>> with 2.0 GHz, the newcomer clearly manages to gain the upper hand. In
>> some
>> of the benchmarks, the mobile CPU produced with 90-nm technology is up to
>> 22% faster. Even if you only consider the difference in clock speed
>> between
>> the two CPUs, Dothan still offers a 5% advantage.
>> The results of the battery life benchmarks show the benefits of 90-nm
>> process technology. The two test systems were identical, except for the
>> CPUs, and gave nearly the same results."
>> --
>> ~misfit~

~misfit~

Nova wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Impossible wrote:
>>
>>> "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Along these lines, what you need to look for is a Pentium M 700
>>> series processor. There are two types here -- one newer, one older
>>> -- though the performance difference between them is virtually nil,
>>> and the older type may well be a little less expensive.
>>>
>>> Newer: Pentium M 730 runs at 1.6GHz, a 750 at 1.86Ghz, etc up to
>>> 770.

>> Dothan. 90nm, 2MB L2 Cache.
>>

>>> Older: Pentium M 715 runs at 1.5Ghz, 725 at 1.6Ghz, etc, up to 755

>> Banias. 130nm, 1MB L2 cache.

> There must be later versions of the banias with 2 megs of L2..
> As my cpu is a pentium m 725 1.6 and has 2 megs of L2..

I didn't write the numbers above. Until you wrote that and I looked it up I
knew nothing about the new 7XX nomenclature, just the CPU architecture,
fabrication process and L2 sizes (and microcode changes).

Since then I've found this page:

http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/info.htm

Which seems to suggest that the only Banias CPU to be given a 7xx name was
the 1.5GHz 705.

Before then AFAIK they were just called Pentium M's. Clock speed and L2 size
were quoted and it was up to you to work out if you had a Banias or a
Dothan, if you were interested in knowing. Also AFAIK they didn't make
Banias faster than 1.7GHz but I could be wrong.

I assumed that Impossible was au fait with the nomenclature so appended his
list of old and new with the physical differences between the two CPUs
without checking the accuracy of his statements.

So it would seem you have a Dothan.

BTW, the same relationship between L2 size and Banias/Dothan core seems to
hold true for the Celeron M. 310-340's (1.2GHz - 1.5GHz) have 512kb L2 and
are made with the 130nm process whereas 350-370 (1.3GHZ - 1.5GHz) have 1MB
L2 and are 90nm. Therefore 1.3, 1.4 and 1.5GHz Celeron M's could be either.

Also, something I got from that page, the Pentium M's that with numbers that
end in zero (7x0) are 533MHz FSB, the ones that end in five (7x5) are
400MHz. (All the Celeron M's are 400MHz, even though they all end in zero).

I wouldn't touch a Celeron D (or mobile Celeron) with a barge-pole. A dog of
a CPU. Sucks twice the power of a Celeron M and does half the work.

Phew!
--
~misfit~

~misfit~

Nova wrote:
> Nova wrote:
>> ~misfit~ wrote:

>>> Dothan. 90nm, 2MB L2 Cache.

>>> Banias. 130nm, 1MB L2 cache.

>> There must be later versions of the banias with 2 megs of L2..
>> As my cpu is a pentium m 725 1.6 and has 2 megs of L2..

> I take that back, i just ran sisoft and apparently i have a dothan..
> the shop lists my cpu as a 725, i guess they got it wrong on their
> site. now i am extra happy, got more than i bargained for!

I just replied to your other post before reading this. I think Impossible
got it wrong. Intel list the 725 as a Dothan.
--
~misfit~

Impossible

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Impossible wrote:
>>
>> Along these lines, what you need to look for is a Pentium M 700
>> series
>> processor. There are two types here -- one newer, one older --
>> though
>> the performance difference between them is virtually nil, and the
>> older type may well be a little less expensive.
>>
>> Newer: Pentium M 730 runs at 1.6GHz, a 750 at 1.86Ghz, etc up to
>> 770.

> Dothan. 90nm, 2MB L2 Cache.
>
>> Older: Pentium M 715 runs at 1.5Ghz, 725 at 1.6Ghz, etc, up to 755

> Banias. 130nm, 1MB L2 cache.

No. All the 700 series chips are Dothans.

Impossible

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nova wrote:
>> Nova wrote:

>>> There must be later versions of the banias with 2 megs of L2..
>>> As my cpu is a pentium m 725 1.6 and has 2 megs of L2..

>> I take that back, i just ran sisoft and apparently i have a
>> dothan..
>> the shop lists my cpu as a 725, i guess they got it wrong on their
>> site. now i am extra happy, got more than i bargained for!

> I just replied to your other post before reading this. I think
> Impossible
> got it wrong. Intel list the 725 as a Dothan.

I wasn't talking about Banias chips at all, only the Dothans -- Banias
chips are the ones I was suggesting the OP avoid, because they're
obsolete. All the Intel 700 series chips are Dothans.

~misfit~

Impossible wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Impossible wrote:
>>>
>>> Along these lines, what you need to look for is a Pentium M 700
>>> series
>>> processor. There are two types here -- one newer, one older --
>>> though
>>> the performance difference between them is virtually nil, and the
>>> older type may well be a little less expensive.
>>>
>>> Newer: Pentium M 730 runs at 1.6GHz, a 750 at 1.86Ghz, etc up to
>>> 770.

>> Dothan. 90nm, 2MB L2 Cache.
>>
>>> Older: Pentium M 715 runs at 1.5Ghz, 725 at 1.6Ghz, etc, up to 755

>> Banias. 130nm, 1MB L2 cache.

> No. All the 700 series chips are Dothans.

Then there is nothing 'old' and 'new' about your lists above. The ones you
list as 'new' run on a faster FSB is all. They are all same generation, same
stepping, same fabrication process, same size L2 cache and are all still in
production.
--
~misfit~

~misfit~

Impossible wrote:

> I wasn't talking about Banias chips at all, only the Dothans -- Banias
> chips are the ones I was suggesting the OP avoid, because they're
> obsolete. All the Intel 700 series chips are Dothans.

Bzzzt! Wrong! The 705 is a Banias.
--
~misfit~

Impossible

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Impossible wrote:
>> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Dothan. 90nm, 2MB L2 Cache.

>>> Banias. 130nm, 1MB L2 cache.

>> No. All the 700 series chips are Dothans.

> Then there is nothing 'old' and 'new' about your lists above. The
> ones you
> list as 'new' run on a faster FSB is all. They are all same
> generation, same
> stepping, same fabrication process, same size L2 cache and are all
> still in
> production.
> --

Don't confuse things more than they already are. The PM-730-770 chips,
which run on a 533Mhx FSB, are "new" compared to the 715-755 chips,
which run on a 400 Mhz FSB. The DDR2 ram they can use is also
correspondingly faster. If you want to split hairs beyond that, be my
guest, but anyone in the market for a Pentium-M should know the
difference.

Impossible

news:42941e05$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Impossible wrote:
>>
>> I wasn't talking about Banias chips at all, only the Dothans --
>> Banias
>> chips are the ones I was suggesting the OP avoid, because they're
>> obsolete. All the Intel 700 series chips are Dothans.

> Bzzzt! Wrong! The 705 is a Banias.
> --
> ~misfit~

Congratulations -- you win the trivia prize! But as I said, the Banias
chips are obsolete now -- Intel doesn't even list the 705 on their
site.