Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > lazy

Shane

Ok as the title goes,
Im being lazy, I have looked over the man page for apt-get (Debian woody)
and am looking for a way to run apt-get upgrade via cron
The problem being apt-get upgrade requires input (its asking if you want
to download and install **** etc etc etc)
is this behaviour killed off with apt-get -m upgrade?
My system is already uptodate so I cant be sure

TIA
(ps I take back all those nasty things I said about debian people<G>)

thing

Shane wrote:
> Ok as the title goes,
> Im being lazy, I have looked over the man page for apt-get (Debian woody)
> and am looking for a way to run apt-get upgrade via cron
> The problem being apt-get upgrade requires input (its asking if you want
> to download and install **** etc etc etc)
> is this behaviour killed off with apt-get -m upgrade?
> My system is already uptodate so I cant be sure
>
> TIA
> (ps I take back all those nasty things I said about debian people<G>)

you are being lazy.......

;]

crontab -e

00 2 * * * /usr/bin/apt-get -q update
00 4 * * * /usr/bin/apt-get -s dist-upgrade | /bin/grep Inst

At 2 am all my machines update, I allow 2 hours at 4am I ask each one to
email on what is in need of patching.

You could then add

20 4 * * * /usr/bin/apt-get -y dist-upgrade

To automatically patch if you want at 420am (or something).

I often run this line to update and patch as a one liner,

usr/bin/apt-get update ; /usr/bin/apt-get -y dist-upgrade

regards

thing

Shane

On Mon, 23 May 2005 14:07:14 +1200, thing wrote:

> Shane wrote:
>> Ok as the title goes,
>> Im being lazy, I have looked over the man page for apt-get (Debian woody)
>> and am looking for a way to run apt-get upgrade via cron
>> The problem being apt-get upgrade requires input (its asking if you want
>> to download and install **** etc etc etc)
>> is this behaviour killed off with apt-get -m upgrade?
>> My system is already uptodate so I cant be sure
>>
>> TIA
>> (ps I take back all those nasty things I said about debian people<G>)
>>

> you are being lazy.......
>
> ;]
>
> crontab -e
>
> 00 2 * * * /usr/bin/apt-get -q update
> 00 4 * * * /usr/bin/apt-get -s dist-upgrade | /bin/grep Inst
>
> At 2 am all my machines update, I allow 2 hours at 4am I ask each one to
> email on what is in need of patching.
>
> You could then add
>
> 20 4 * * * /usr/bin/apt-get -y dist-upgrade
>
> To automatically patch if you want at 420am (or something).
>
> I often run this line to update and patch as a one liner,
>
> usr/bin/apt-get update ; /usr/bin/apt-get -y dist-upgrade
>
> regards
>
> thing

ohhh its the -y option
ta muchly

Gordon Smith

Shane wrote:
> Ok as the title goes,
> Im being lazy, I have looked over the man page for apt-get (Debian woody)
> and am looking for a way to run apt-get upgrade via cron
> The problem being apt-get upgrade requires input (its asking if you want
> to download and install **** etc etc etc)
> is this behaviour killed off with apt-get -m upgrade?
> My system is already uptodate so I cant be sure
>
> TIA
> (ps I take back all those nasty things I said about debian people<G>)

man apt-get
it is in there -> -y option

Shane

On Mon, 23 May 2005 14:46:33 +1200, Gordon Smith wrote:

> Shane wrote:
>> Ok as the title goes,
>> Im being lazy, I have looked over the man page for apt-get (Debian woody)
>> and am looking for a way to run apt-get upgrade via cron
>> The problem being apt-get upgrade requires input (its asking if you want
>> to download and install **** etc etc etc)
>> is this behaviour killed off with apt-get -m upgrade?
>> My system is already uptodate so I cant be sure
>>
>> TIA
>> (ps I take back all those nasty things I said about debian people<G>)
>>

> man apt-get
> it is in there -> -y option

heh.. straight after I get told, the damn thing is glaring at me in the
man page
/me is not very impressed with myself

(Thanking you)