Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > W98 PC's Dropping Drive Mappings.

W98 PC's Dropping Drive Mappings.

oh ee

We have a Christchurch office which has several PC's running either XP or
W98. They all have drive mappings to a 2003 server in Auckland.

The W98 PC's seem to drop the drive mappings from time to time and when they
do, they cannot be remapped until the PC is rebooted. The XP PC's have no
such problem. I am unsure of the way they are connected but as the XP PC's
are OK, I am going to presume that the fault is either a speciific setting
on the server for non NT type OS or something specific to W98.

Any idea where I should start looking?

TIA

Nathan Mercer

oh ee wrote:
> We have a Christchurch office which has several PC's running either XP or
> W98. They all have drive mappings to a 2003 server in Auckland.
>
> The W98 PC's seem to drop the drive mappings from time to time and when they
> do, they cannot be remapped until the PC is rebooted. The XP PC's have no
> such problem. I am unsure of the way they are connected but as the XP PC's
> are OK, I am going to presume that the fault is either a speciific setting
> on the server for non NT type OS or something specific to W98.
>
> Any idea where I should start looking?

A good start would be to install the Directory Services Client Update
for Windows 98

THat will get your NTLM up to v2

oh ee

"Nathan Mercer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> oh ee wrote:
> > We have a Christchurch office which has several PC's running either XP

or
> > W98. They all have drive mappings to a 2003 server in Auckland.
> >
> > The W98 PC's seem to drop the drive mappings from time to time and when

they
> > do, they cannot be remapped until the PC is rebooted. The XP PC's have

no
> > such problem. I am unsure of the way they are connected but as the XP

PC's
> > are OK, I am going to presume that the fault is either a speciific

setting
> > on the server for non NT type OS or something specific to W98.
> >
> > Any idea where I should start looking?

> A good start would be to install the Directory Services Client Update
> for Windows 98

> THat will get your NTLM up to v2

Forgot to mention the 2003 server is running on a peer to peer network.
Would this update still be worth trying?

Thanks.