Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > How can people sell software like this? (Backup4all)

How can people sell software like this? (Backup4all)

-=rjh=-

Has anyone else tried backup4all V1.5, that was featured on the latest
PC@uthority CDROM? Beware.

Looks OK but seems fundamentally flawed...

when creating backups it writes files into a .zip archive in a temporary
directory, then copies that across to the final destination.

If there isn't enough room in the temporary directory it doesn't write
copies of all files into the zip archive. But it doesn't tell you this -
it just carries on silently, no warnings, and copies the archive across
to the final destination. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

So if you use the default temp directory and over time your drive fills
up (or your backup source files grow to exceed the temp directory) your
backups are hosed, and you'll probably never know it until...

How can people sell software like this? I'm not even going to use it as
a freebie. There's no shortage of other backup software to choose from,
and it isn't exactly rocket science.

phstpok

-=rjh=- wrote:
> Has anyone else tried backup4all V1.5, that was featured on the latest
> PC@uthority CDROM? Beware.
>
> Looks OK but seems fundamentally flawed...
>
> when creating backups it writes files into a .zip archive in a temporary
> directory, then copies that across to the final destination.
>
> If there isn't enough room in the temporary directory it doesn't write
> copies of all files into the zip archive. But it doesn't tell you this -
> it just carries on silently, no warnings, and copies the archive across
> to the final destination. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
>
> So if you use the default temp directory and over time your drive fills
> up (or your backup source files grow to exceed the temp directory) your
> backups are hosed, and you'll probably never know it until...
>
> How can people sell software like this? I'm not even going to use it as
> a freebie. There's no shortage of other backup software to choose from,
> and it isn't exactly rocket science.

Tried it out, but didn't give much thought to the temp directory, as I
generally keep my drives pretty clean, with plenty of room (I d/l a lot
of s...).

Switched to WinPsf, does everything I need, set your own archive folders
etc. Comes with it's own cd writing software (workburner), which is very
basic, but handles rewrite fine.

Rob.

--

http://phstpok.blog.co.uk/main/

cowboyz

On Mon, 23 May 2005 10:40:40 +1200, -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> How can people sell software like this? I'm not even going to use it as
> a freebie. There's no shortage of other backup software to choose from,
> and it isn't exactly rocket science.

Answered your own question didn't you? They are not selling it. They are
giving it away!

--
Luck usually comes to those who do not include it in their plans.

JedMeister

"-=rjh=-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42910a42$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has anyone else tried backup4all V1.5, that was featured on the latest
> PC@uthority CDROM? Beware.
>
> Looks OK but seems fundamentally flawed...
>
> when creating backups it writes files into a .zip archive in a temporary
> directory, then copies that across to the final destination.
>
> If there isn't enough room in the temporary directory it doesn't write
> copies of all files into the zip archive. But it doesn't tell you this -
> it just carries on silently, no warnings, and copies the archive across to
> the final destination. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
>
> So if you use the default temp directory and over time your drive fills up
> (or your backup source files grow to exceed the temp directory) your
> backups are hosed, and you'll probably never know it until...
>
> How can people sell software like this? I'm not even going to use it as a
> freebie. There's no shortage of other backup software to choose from, and
> it isn't exactly rocket science.

Agreed... Interestingly, I wonder if someone experienced data loss from
using this software, would it be covered under the CGA in the consequential
losses section??