Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Slingshot UBS

Slingshot UBS

mattlock

Hey all,
We've been thinking about switching over to the Slingshot 2mbit UBS plan.
Before we take the plunge though, is it inferior to the telecom plans?
Are the pings higher? the connection less stable? etc etc

Cheers,
Matt

~misfit~

mattlock wrote:
> Hey all,
> We've been thinking about switching over to the Slingshot 2mbit UBS
> plan. Before we take the plunge though, is it inferior to the telecom
> plans? Are the pings higher? the connection less stable? etc etc

It is my understanding that *all* UBS plans have worse pings than Telecom
'X'stream plans and suffer very badly from jitter. (Intermittant lag-spikes)
This is deliberately introduced by Telecom to combat VoIP. Cringely's been
talking about it a bit and so has NZ PC World.

Also, UBS plans are severely under-provisioned. If you're an on-line gamer
then it's virtually impossible to play between the hours of 3pm and
midnight. Lag is horrendous at those times, merely really bad at other
times.

Time for the Commerce Commision to step in. Anyone know if they have an
email addy?
--
~misfit~

steve

~misfit~ wrote:

> Time for the Commerce Commision to step in. Anyone know if they have an
> email addy?

Write them a letter and make a complaint. The more people who do, the
better.

Copy the Telecommunications Commissioner and the responsible Ministers.

~misfit~

steve wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> Time for the Commerce Commision to step in. Anyone know if they have
>> an email addy?

> Write them a letter and make a complaint. The more people who do, the
> better.
>
> Copy the Telecommunications Commissioner and the responsible
> Ministers.

Just found this site:

http://www.comcom.govt.nz/Inquiries/contactus.aspx

Will fill it in and maybe write as well.
--
~misfit~

Brett

it's an election year, so I'm looking forward to the
Telecommunications Commissioner public kanning telecom over the ubs,
even if it's just 4 votes. maybe telecom has though of this, and make
there network like it is, so, when they change, they just go back to a
level they r happy with.

It's like they grew an extra finger, just for it to be cut off and
apear normal.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

~misfit~ wrote:
> Time for the Commerce Commision to step in. Anyone know if they have an
> email addy?

anyone can explain to me about UBS and non-UBS? AT NZ Computing 9 12-15-2004 01:46 AM
UBS upgrades... Telecom screwing us again? The Other Guy NZ Computing 60 10-11-2004 02:03 AM
UBS back on track EMB NZ Computing 17 08-29-2004 04:24 AM
UBS 1 or 2? Bozo Computer Support 5 08-21-2004 11:48 PM
UBS news. Dave - Dave.net.nz NZ Computing 13 08-20-2004 03:22 AM

Advertisments