Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Borg WiFi Internet Access

Borg WiFi Internet Access

Collector»NZ

Well I have and I am happy (latency is not an issue for me) the results are
good. Cost is a little higher than ADSL but for me a connection was the need
and I cant get ADSL, Woosh or anything else.

Speed Location Hosted By
246.0 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
242.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
235.9 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
234.2 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
227.3 k United States Nibble Information Systems
Summary
Average (New Zealand): 241.4 kbps
Average (Australia): kbps
Average (International): 230.8 kbps

Shane

On Sat, 21 May 2005 12:16:56 +1200, Collector»NZ wrote:

> Well I have and I am happy (latency is not an issue for me) the results are
> good. Cost is a little higher than ADSL but for me a connection was the need
> and I cant get ADSL, Woosh or anything else.
>
> Speed Location Hosted By
> 246.0 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
> 242.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
> 235.9 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
> 234.2 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
> 227.3 k United States Nibble Information Systems
> Summary
> Average (New Zealand): 241.4 kbps
> Average (Australia): kbps
> Average (International): 230.8 kbps

no chance you can show us some ping times?
thanks

Collector»NZ

Shane wrote:
> On Sat, 21 May 2005 12:16:56 +1200, Collector»NZ wrote:
>

>>Well I have and I am happy (latency is not an issue for me) the results are
>>good. Cost is a little higher than ADSL but for me a connection was the need
>>and I cant get ADSL, Woosh or anything else.
>>
>> Speed Location Hosted By
>> 246.0 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
>> 242.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
>> 235.9 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
>> 234.2 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
>> 227.3 k United States Nibble Information Systems
>>Summary
>>Average (New Zealand): 241.4 kbps
>>Average (Australia): kbps
>>Average (International): 230.8 kbps

> no chance you can show us some ping times?
> thanks

Pinging ns1.orcon.net.nz [210.55.12.1] with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 210.55.12.1:

Pinging ihug.co.nz [203.109.252.75] with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 203.109.252.75:

Pinging stuff.co.nz [202.135.111.130] with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 202.135.111.130:

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
*Slow day Posts Blog*

Shane

*snip*
thats bloody good isnt it?
low latency and didnt appear to be a lot of jitter

Collector»NZ

Shane wrote:
> *snip*
> thats bloody good isnt it?
> low latency and didnt appear to be a lot of jitter

Yeah, but there are down sides to it. Inactivity times out your
authentication, which is done by redirecting you to a login page before
delivering the requested page. This means that you have to open a
browser to get connected. There may be other authentication available, I
just havnt found out about it yet.
The AP is a bitch to re connect and lock up with the transmitter but
again that may just be the way I am handling it.
I am using a Dlink Airplus G+ AP in client mode with a std stick antenna
and while it is sensitive to being moved it stays connected quite well.

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
*Slow day Posts Blog*

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <428fa83b$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Collector»NZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Inactivity times out your
>authentication, which is done by redirecting you to a login page before
>delivering the requested page. This means that you have to open a
>browser to get connected.

What does that do to protocols other than HTTP? For instance, a ping
can't redirect you to a login page before it is passed on, can it?

Collector»NZ

Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
> In article <428fa83b$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Collector»NZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Inactivity times out your
>>authentication, which is done by redirecting you to a login page before
>>delivering the requested page. This means that you have to open a
>>browser to get connected.

> What does that do to protocols other than HTTP? For instance, a ping
> can't redirect you to a login page before it is passed on, can it?

No and that is an issue because I can not keep the connection alive with
anything other than HTTP. That means mail dosnt keep it alive and I have
to open an http page to get connected to collect mail.
It may be the quick hack that was done to get me online on friday night
that has created this, it may be that there is a better authentication
process once they have fully signed me up which hasnt happened yet

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
*Slow day Posts Blog*

Malcolm

On Sun, 22 May 2005 11:01:45 +1200, Collector»NZ wrote:

> Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
>> In article <428fa83b$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Collector»NZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>Inactivity times out your
>>>authentication, which is done by redirecting you to a login page before
>>>delivering the requested page. This means that you have to open a
>>>browser to get connected.

>> What does that do to protocols other than HTTP? For instance, a ping
>> can't redirect you to a login page before it is passed on, can it?

> No and that is an issue because I can not keep the connection alive with
> anything other than HTTP. That means mail dosnt keep it alive and I have
> to open an http page to get connected to collect mail.
> It may be the quick hack that was done to get me online on friday night
> that has created this, it may be that there is a better authentication
> process once they have fully signed me up which hasnt happened yet

Try using wget to grab a web page.

--
Cheers
Malcolm °ż°

Mark C

Collector»NZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:428fbd6e$(E-Mail Removed):

> ... I can not keep the connection alive with anything other than
> HTTP.

FYI, http://www.directupdate.net/ (Dynamic DNS client) has a
"Persistent internet connection" option that allows an http request
every n minutes.

That may be overkill, but you *could* use that, and ignore the dyndns
thing.

Mark

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Collector»NZ wrote:
> Well I have and I am happy (latency is not an issue for me) the results are
> good. Cost is a little higher than ADSL but for me a connection was the need
> and I cant get ADSL, Woosh or anything else.

not to mention the hardware that they make/stick together... the guy
really knows what he's doing.