Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Unlimited internet access

Unlimited internet access

Dave - Dave.net.nz

~misfit~ wrote:
> I rang them a year or so ago and asked what their connection speed was like.
> They gave me a temporary username and password and said to try it for 48
> hours free. At the time I was on dial-up with Xtra at twice the price.
> Slingshot I was getting connects between 28 and 36kbs, Xtra 48 and better. I
> stayed with Xtra.

funnily enough initial connection speed is usually handled by Telecoms
equipment, so it sounds like something was mis-congured.

michael

Cowboy Bill wrote:
> What is the going rate for unlimited internet access.I am paying $28.95
> a month for a dial up access.I see some providers are offering unlimited
> internet access for $9.95 a month ?
> Thanks

wave is good at 9.95 a month.
wave.co.nz

PAM.

"Cowboy Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> What is the going rate for unlimited internet access.I am paying $28.95
> a month for a dial up access.I see some providers are offering unlimited
> internet access for $9.95 a month ?

It could have something to do with quality or support or the like.
I asked Paradise if they could match unlimited for even $15 a month. They
said that people aren't interested in unlimited they want service and
support. I guess they couldn't.
My paradise account ends in 4 days. I am now with slingshot and I cannot see
any difference. Support seems to be fine too.

PAM.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

PAM. wrote:
>>What is the going rate for unlimited internet access.I am paying $28.95
>>a month for a dial up access.I see some providers are offering unlimited
>>internet access for $9.95 a month ?

> It could have something to do with quality or support or the like.
> I asked Paradise if they could match unlimited for even $15 a month. They
> said that people aren't interested in unlimited they want service and
> support. I guess they couldn't.

It depends on the users that they are trying to attract... simply
because you use usenet implies that you have a bit more of a clue than most.

Users like you are both valuable and worthless at the same time.
Valuable, because you will probably not call them anywhere near as often
as the users who are clueless.
Worthless, because you can happily leave them for another provider
without batting an eyelid.

E. Scrooge

"R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) hug.co.nz...
> In message <1116498636.133743@ftpsrv1>, "E. Scrooge"
> <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote:
>
>>It seems that KOL has improved a lot going by someone that has tried them
>>compared to when they first started. At $16 Slingshot is surprisingly
>>good.

> My (second-hand) experience of KOL is not good. Someone I know signed
> up to pay by cheque - no payment information ever arrived. Of course
> the account isn't activated until payment received, so I don't know
> how good they are once you're actually up and running.
>
> Slingshot seem pretty solid as an access point, provided you don't
> want to do anything at all technical. Their free web-hosting is
> decidedly unflexible. I have no idea what their news service is like.
>
> --
> R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh.
> Timaru, New Zealand.

Slingshot gets it's news service from ihug.
They just added free virus protection and spam filtering to their $16 dial
up service.

KOL changed their their number and servers. A friend on Paradise said there
was a big improvement from the crap service KOL started out with.

E. Scrooge

E. Scrooge

news:428c9f61$(E-Mail Removed)...
> E. Scrooge wrote:
>> "Chris Hope" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:d6hneo$vor$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I don't know what they are like now, but I did try Slingshot for a
>>> three month period about three years ago and they were *crap*. You
>>> had to sign up for a minimum of three months but it was cheap so I
>>> thought may as well give it a go. I stopped using them after about a
>>> week and went back to my Clear Net connection.

>> LOL
>> A week? You were well prepared for the long haul then. Probably at
>> the time of a month of connection problems to Slingshot over a year
>> ago.

> I rang them a year or so ago and asked what their connection speed was
> like.
> They gave me a temporary username and password and said to try it for 48
> hours free. At the time I was on dial-up with Xtra at twice the price.
> Slingshot I was getting connects between 28 and 36kbs, Xtra 48 and better.
> stayed with Xtra.
> --
> ~misfit~

That's strange. I help someone who is on Xtra from time to time, and my
Slingshot account on their computer is slightly faster. I've seen their
Xtra connection at 49kbs, but usually it's 50kbs. Before Slingshot went to
0873, it was mostly 53.2kbs and other times 52kbs. Now it's 52kbs hardly
ever getting 53.2kbs on 0873, the few times it connects at 50kbs I just try
again and get 52kbs. ihug is usually a steady 52kbs.
I've been on Slingshot well over a year now, for everything except the news
service it's slightly better than ihug, and went right through Christmas
without a fault unlike ihug going by the complaints of slow speeds.

Try Slingshot properly for a few months and you'd probably be surprised, it
should be faster that what you were getting on that previous setup.

E. Scrooge

E. Scrooge

"michael" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Jo7je.1413$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Cowboy Bill wrote:
>> What is the going rate for unlimited internet access.I am paying $28.95
>> a month for a dial up access.I see some providers are offering unlimited
>> internet access for $9.95 a month ?
>> Thanks

> wave is good at 9.95 a month.
> wave.co.nz

Not according to it's website it isn't, not for flat rate anyway. 10 bucks
only gets 15 hours.
$19.95 (20 bucks) flat rate with tolls - no tolls and it's $27.95 (28 bucks
same as ihug of course since ihug owns Wave).

E. Scrooge

Gordon

On Fri, 20 May 2005 12:03:39 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Users like you are both valuable and worthless at the same time.
> Valuable, because you will probably not call them anywhere near as often
> as the users who are clueless.
> Worthless, because you can happily leave them for another provider
> without batting an eyelid.

No customer is worthless, the problem is to hold onto them.

Gordon

On Thu, 19 May 2005 21:30:25 +1200, wrote:

> you pay for what you get

There are exceptions, that is why the search goes on.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Gordon wrote:
>>Users like you are both valuable and worthless at the same time.
>>Valuable, because you will probably not call them anywhere near as often
>>as the users who are clueless.
>>Worthless, because you can happily leave them for another provider
>>without batting an eyelid.

> No customer is worthless, the problem is to hold onto them.

yeah, I know, worthless wasn't the word I was looking for, and i still
can't think of it.