Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > supressing referer info in firefox

supressing referer info in firefox

Chris Hope

How do you suppress the referer info in firefox?

I need to test something and I know it can be done but I can't seem to
create the right query for Google to give me the answer, and I can't
seem to find an option for it in the prefs. Is it an option or do you
need to install a plugin?

I know there's a way of showing all the firefox prefs on a form but
can't remember how to do that.

Chris Hope

Chris Hope wrote:

> How do you suppress the referer info in firefox?
>
> I need to test something and I know it can be done but I can't seem to
> create the right query for Google to give me the answer, and I can't
> seem to find an option for it in the prefs. Is it an option or do you
> need to install a plugin?
>
> I know there's a way of showing all the firefox prefs on a form but
> can't remember how to do that.

OK so I found out how to find all the preferences. You type
"about:config" into the address bar.

There's a setting there called network.http.sendRefererHeader which
defaults to 2. I tried setting it to 1 and then it stopped sending the
referer info.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <d6hbha$5bk$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Chris Hope <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>There's a setting there called network.http.sendRefererHeader which
>defaults to 2. I tried setting it to 1 and then it stopped sending the
>referer info.

The very first credit card payment company I worked with used the
refer(r)er info as part of their "security" to ensure that the customer
was being directed to their site from our shop site.

Funnily enough, that company is no longer in business...

Chris Hope

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In article <d6hbha$5bk$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Chris Hope <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>There's a setting there called network.http.sendRefererHeader which
>>defaults to 2. I tried setting it to 1 and then it stopped sending the
>>referer info.

> The very first credit card payment company I worked with used the
> refer(r)er info as part of their "security" to ensure that the
> customer was being directed to their site from our shop site.

I wonder if that was actually a typo (ie referer vs referrer) that made
it into the HTTP spec or if they decided to spell it that way on
purpose?

> Funnily enough, that company is no longer in business...

Yes, you can never *ever* trust the referer header.

I had a friend try to catch me out one day by passing all sorts of silly
referers and user agents to my site. I was being particularly nosy
about visitors at the time so he had a good chuckle.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <d6hdg8$92r$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Chris Hope <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I wonder if that was actually a typo (ie referer vs referrer) that made
>it into the HTTP spec or if they decided to spell it that way on
>purpose?

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by
stupidity."

I think it was a typo. Technical types often seem to have a
lower-than-average standard of spelling.

document.referer or visitor info radiox Javascript 2 04-25-2006 07:20 PM
Supressing sign extension Dave C++ 4 10-10-2004 04:36 AM
Supressing Unused Parameter Warnings Michael B Allen C Programming 11 05-08-2004 08:21 AM
Supressing Menu and Toolbars on Webpage Herb Stull ASP .Net 3 02-25-2004 06:32 PM
Supressing PyChecker warnings Jp Calderone Python 1 01-16-2004 09:07 PM

Advertisments