Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > in game screenshots? ps3

Reply
Thread Tools

in game screenshots? ps3

 
 
cowboyz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-19-2005
I was looking at this

http://news.com.com/Images+Sony+offe...ml?tag=st.next


and I can't help but think that these are just startup sequences or cut
scenes rather than actual gameplay. We see it all the time when
companies are trying to show us how great their systems are. Personally,
I couldn't give a crap if the startup sequence looks like a video.. They
may have well used a video. What about in the game. What are we going
to see when we are playing the game.

I guess time will tell.



--
Luck usually comes to those who do not include it in their plans.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Daniel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-19-2005
cowboyz wrote:
> I was looking at this
>
> http://news.com.com/Images+Sony+offe...ml?tag=st.next
>
>
> and I can't help but think that these are just startup sequences or cut
> scenes rather than actual gameplay. We see it all the time when
> companies are trying to show us how great their systems are.
> Personally, I couldn't give a crap if the startup sequence looks like a
> video.. They may have well used a video. What about in the game.
> What are we going to see when we are playing the game.
>
> I guess time will tell.
>
>


Well, I've downloaded both the Unreal Tournament 2007 movies from
Gamespot. In one of them they demonstrate the PS3 actually rendering the
graphics in realtime.

All, I can say is that those graphics were **A M A Z I N G**.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jedmeister
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-19-2005
"Daniel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:428c4b57$(E-Mail Removed)...
> cowboyz wrote:
>> I was looking at this
>>
>> http://news.com.com/Images+Sony+offe...ml?tag=st.next
>> and I can't help but think that these are just startup sequences or cut
>> scenes rather than actual gameplay. We see it all the time when
>> companies are trying to show us how great their systems are. Personally,
>> I couldn't give a crap if the startup sequence looks like a video..
>> They may have well used a video. What about in the game. What are we
>> going to see when we are playing the game.
>>
>> I guess time will tell.
>>
>>

>
> Well, I've downloaded both the Unreal Tournament 2007 movies from
> Gamespot. In one of them they demonstrate the PS3 actually rendering the
> graphics in realtime.
>
> All, I can say is that those graphics were **A M A Z I N G**.


Hope it is true, and will believe only when i see it. The next step in
graphics will be to go from the 'cartoon' to the 'reality' look. Will the
PS3 accomplish this? eg, gt4 on the ps2 looks quite real from some angles,
but largely the textures in the look blocky.


 
Reply With Quote
 
cowboyz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-19-2005
On Thu, 19 May 2005 21:59:35 +1200, Jedmeister <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Hope it is true, and will believe only when i see it. The next step in
> graphics will be to go from the 'cartoon' to the 'reality' look. Will
> the
> PS3 accomplish this? eg, gt4 on the ps2 looks quite real from some
> angles,
> but largely the textures in the look blocky.



I find the best games are ones like beyond good and evil where they don't
try to make things look real but try to make things look great in a game
atmosphere.

I played BGAE and splinter cell 2 at the same time and found myself more
impressed with the gfx in BGAE even though SC2 was great. (oh yeah,
playing on a 9800pro before someone says the standard.. "well you should
play it on a good gfx card and see all the special effects.. blah blah
blah")


--
Luck usually comes to those who do not include it in their plans.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Wilkinson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-19-2005
Hi there,

cowboyz wrote:
> On Thu, 19 May 2005 21:59:35 +1200, Jedmeister <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Hope it is true, and will believe only when i see it. The next step in
>> graphics will be to go from the 'cartoon' to the 'reality' look.
>> Will the
>> PS3 accomplish this? eg, gt4 on the ps2 looks quite real from some
>> angles,
>> but largely the textures in the look blocky.

>
>
>
> I find the best games are ones like beyond good and evil where they
> don't try to make things look real but try to make things look great in
> a game atmosphere.
>
> I played BGAE and splinter cell 2 at the same time and found myself
> more impressed with the gfx in BGAE even though SC2 was great. (oh
> yeah, playing on a 9800pro before someone says the standard.. "well you
> should play it on a good gfx card and see all the special effects..


RealStorm looks to be an interesting concept. Ray rendering is
usually minutes or hours per frame, but these guys have somehow
optimised the rendering to allow 'realtime' frame rates. Its not
the same quality as full raytraced rendering, but hey! I ran
the latest benchmark from them, and got 12-14 fps at 1024x768.
Before you laugh remember thats scanline ray-rendered, with
no use of the GPU at all, just CPU (Athlon64 3000+ in my case).

I'd be interested to see what the speed would be like with a
good linux cluster, since the demo I ran was a Windows app run
under wine emulator on my 64-bit Linux...

My hope is that someone clever can design a PCI-E card that has
2-4 powerful RISC FPU's on it, for massive bandwidth rendering of
raytrace data, similar to what multinode SGI's can do...

Here is a screenshot from the RealStorm site...

http://www.realstorm.com/realstorm/data/SSN_01.jpg

This is a raytraced shot by Gilles Tran, a french POV-ray maestro.
If game graphics could look like that one day.. <sigh!>

http://www.oyonale.com/ldc/images/vendre_1200x1600.jpg

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
Anyone wishing to email me directly can remove the obvious
spamblocker, and replace it with t p g <dot> c o m <dot> a u

Software patents are killing YOUR freedom, STOP THEM NOW!
http://swpat.ffii.org/ http://nosoftwarepatents.com/

 
Reply With Quote
 
cowboyz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-20-2005
On Fri, 20 May 2005 11:39:25 +1200, Chris Wilkinson <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> RealStorm looks to be an interesting concept. Ray rendering is
> usually minutes or hours per frame, but these guys have somehow
> optimised the rendering to allow 'realtime' frame rates. Its not
> the same quality as full raytraced rendering, but hey! I ran
> the latest benchmark from them, and got 12-14 fps at 1024x768.
> Before you laugh remember thats scanline ray-rendered, with
> no use of the GPU at all, just CPU (Athlon64 3000+ in my case).
> I'd be interested to see what the speed would be like with a
> good linux cluster, since the demo I ran was a Windows app run
> under wine emulator on my 64-bit Linux... My hope is that someone
> clever can design a PCI-E card that has
> 2-4 powerful RISC FPU's on it, for massive bandwidth rendering of
> raytrace data, similar to what multinode SGI's can do...



looks good at 1024x unforuntately on my lowly xp2100+ and 700 meg ram I
get 0.14fps (yes that is a point in there) At the lowest settings I get
25fps.

I see my machine as a midrange gaming machine where I believe game makers
are targetting for their games to play smoothly. This raytracing does
look good but it either needs some more optimizing or waiting till
hardware catches up a bit.

--
Luck usually comes to those who do not include it in their plans.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave - Dave.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-20-2005
Chris Wilkinson wrote:
> My hope is that someone clever can design a PCI-E card that has
> 2-4 powerful RISC FPU's on it, for massive bandwidth rendering of
> raytrace data, similar to what multinode SGI's can do...


a Physics Processing Unit(PPU) maybe?
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21648
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22592

http://www.ageia.com/
Look for more news in the next couple of days.

Apparently there was a wicked game that although simple, was great
simply because it was fun to do hard turns and the charactor would damn
near fall over... ahhh, simple amusment.

> Here is a screenshot from the RealStorm site...
> http://www.realstorm.com/realstorm/data/SSN_01.jpg
> This is a raytraced shot by Gilles Tran, a french POV-ray maestro.
> If game graphics could look like that one day.. <sigh!>
> http://www.oyonale.com/ldc/images/vendre_1200x1600.jpg


This may sound odd, but real life doesnt look that clean, and that clear
cut, it seems to me that the games need to get dirtyer, and more mundane
to get more like real life... but then again, would we play them if it
were that real?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave - Dave.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-20-2005
cowboyz wrote:
> looks good at 1024x unforuntately on my lowly xp2100+ and 700 meg ram
> I get 0.14fps (yes that is a point in there) At the lowest settings
> I get 25fps.


Indeed it does look good, however at 0.08fps for me it was almost
unbearable... 10 seconds for a frame, wow.

> I see my machine as a midrange gaming machine where I believe game
> makers are targetting for their games to play smoothly. This
> raytracing does look good but it either needs some more optimizing or
> waiting till hardware catches up a bit.


This was just on my work machine, P4 2.8, 512MB ram, the rest is rubbish.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave - Dave.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-20-2005
Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> cowboyz wrote:
>
>> looks good at 1024x unforuntately on my lowly xp2100+ and 700 meg
>> ram I get 0.14fps (yes that is a point in there) At the lowest
>> settings I get 25fps.

>
>
> Indeed it does look good, however at 0.08fps for me it was almost
> unbearable... 10 seconds for a frame, wow.
>
>> I see my machine as a midrange gaming machine where I believe game
>> makers are targetting for their games to play smoothly. This
>> raytracing does look good but it either needs some more optimizing or
>> waiting till hardware catches up a bit.

>
>
> This was just on my work machine, P4 2.8, 512MB ram, the rest is rubbish.


Can someone with an Athlon 64/FX/Opteron run this, I'm just interested
in seeing what they're like.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave - Dave.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-20-2005
Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>>> looks good at 1024x unforuntately on my lowly xp2100+ and 700 meg
>>> ram I get 0.14fps (yes that is a point in there) At the lowest
>>> settings I get 25fps.


>> Indeed it does look good, however at 0.08fps for me it was almost
>> unbearable... 10 seconds for a frame, wow.


>> This was just on my work machine, P4 2.8, 512MB ram, the rest is rubbish.


> Can someone with an Athlon 64/FX/Opteron run this, I'm just interested
> in seeing what they're like.


This was a request, not a question... man, I'm losing it.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HiDef.com PS3 Challenge - Holiday Giveaway - PS3 60GB, 360 HD-DVD Drive and 360 Wireless Force Feedback Wheel HiDef.com DVD Video 0 12-24-2006 04:32 AM
First PS3 game shown - Gundam Silverstrand Gaming 18 08-22-2005 05:31 AM
First PS3 game shown - Gundam Silverstrand Front Page News 0 07-24-2005 03:10 PM



Advertisments