Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > How do I know if I have USB 2??

How do I know if I have USB 2??

Bruce Sinclair

In article <udVie.1168$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>Andrew wrote:
>
>> Ada wrote:
>>
>>> Been looking to see if I have USB 2 on my computer. How do I find this
>>> out? I have had a look around in DEVICE MANAGER / SYSTEM in CONTROL
>>> PANEL. And whilst my USB devices are show they do not indicate as to
>>> what USB mode they are. I am looking at hooking up a USB Video Capture
>>> devce and need USB2 to make it worth while
>>> Thanks

>> If you know what make/model motherboard you have you can look up the
>> specifications on the manufacturers site
>>
>> Or if you still have the motherboard manual it will tell you in there

>AND
>without crawling under my desk, ripping out all the cables etc LOL..
>taking off the lid, and trying to find MO-BOARD details.. is there an
>easier way to find the Mo-Board info out??

Idle aside ... if you plug in a USB2 compliant device (eg one of those USB2
flash drives) doesn't it tell you if it's USB 2 or not ?

Bruce

-------------------------------------
- George Bernard Shaw
- Ambrose Bierce

(if there were any)

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Chris Wilkinson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)
>> Idle aside ... if you plug in a USB2 compliant device (eg one of those USB2
>> flash drives) doesn't it tell you if it's USB 2 or not ?

>It may, but more likely the device will step-down to USB 1.1, and
>continue on (more slowly) as if nothing had happened...

... thus proving (if you knew it was USB2) that the puter didn't have it I
would have thought ... or am I missing something ?

Bruce

-------------------------------------
- George Bernard Shaw
- Ambrose Bierce

(if there were any)

Bruce Sinclair

In article <428c2af4$(E-Mail Removed)>, Chris Wilkinson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hi there,
>Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Chris Wilkinson

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> (snip)

>>>It may, but more likely the device will step-down to USB 1.1, and
>>>continue on (more slowly) as if nothing had happened...

>> .. thus proving (if you knew it was USB2) that the puter didn't have it I
>> would have thought ... or am I missing something ?

>That would only prove that USB was working. I think *all* USB2 devices
>and controllers are downwards compatible with USB 1.1 ones, so if you
>plug a USB2-able key into a USB1.1 controller it will just work at the
>slower speed...

Yeah ... but doesn't the windows pop up tell you whether it's a USB or a USB
2 device ? I thought I had seen this behaviour.

>As to finding out how fast the USB controller is, without pulling apart
>the PC, I'm paketewhaino...

I thought that was buckettewhanao ?

You live and learn ... well some of us do

Bruce

-------------------------------------
- George Bernard Shaw
- Ambrose Bierce

(if there were any)

Ada

Been looking to see if I have USB 2 on my computer. How do I find this
out? I have had a look around in DEVICE MANAGER / SYSTEM in CONTROL
PANEL. And whilst my USB devices are show they do not indicate as to
what USB mode they are. I am looking at hooking up a USB Video Capture
devce and need USB2 to make it worth while
Thanks

Andrew

Ada wrote:
> Andrew wrote:
>
>> Ada wrote:
>>
>>> Been looking to see if I have USB 2 on my computer. How do I find
>>> this out? I have had a look around in DEVICE MANAGER / SYSTEM in
>>> CONTROL PANEL. And whilst my USB devices are show they do not
>>> indicate as to what USB mode they are. I am looking at hooking up a
>>> USB Video Capture devce and need USB2 to make it worth while
>>> Thanks

>> If you know what make/model motherboard you have you can look up the
>> specifications on the manufacturers site
>>
>> Or if you still have the motherboard manual it will tell you in there

> AND
> without crawling under my desk, ripping out all the cables etc LOL..
> taking off the lid, and trying to find MO-BOARD details.. is there an
> easier way to find the Mo-Board info out??

try this:

http://www.hwinfo.com/

Ada

Andrew wrote:

> Ada wrote:
>
>> Andrew wrote:

>>> If you know what make/model motherboard you have you can look up the
>>> specifications on the manufacturers site
>>>
>>> Or if you still have the motherboard manual it will tell you in there

>> AND
>> without crawling under my desk, ripping out all the cables etc LOL..
>> taking off the lid, and trying to find MO-BOARD details.. is there an
>> easier way to find the Mo-Board info out??

> try this:
>
> http://www.hwinfo.com/

Thanks.. all sorted

Chris Wilkinson