Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > secure my wireless connection? (newbie)

secure my wireless connection? (newbie)

Broons Bane

hi there.

I'm a newbie to this stuff.

I have an existing belkin wireless internet connection and have discovered
to my horror that it is unsecured. I'm not sure I still have the original
Belkin CD's.

what do I have to do to secure my network?

Thanks

Jack

Hi
May be this can Help.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Broons Bane" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:19rXf.998$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi there.
>
> I'm a newbie to this stuff.
>
> I have an existing belkin wireless internet connection and have discovered
> to my horror that it is unsecured. I'm not sure I still have the original
> Belkin CD's.
>
> what do I have to do to secure my network?
>
> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?RVRMQ1M=?=

Go to Control Panel-->Network connections-->Network connection. Right click
that one you use, and click the "Wireless Networks" tab, choose "properties.
Click the DATA ENCRPTION, and choose one of the types.

COMMON ONES (LEAST SECURE {homes} TO MORE SECURE {offices, laptops, public
places})

DISABLED
WEB
AES

ALSO: TO GET MORE SECURITY CLICK THE "NETWORK AUTHENTICATION" and click one
(Open {LEAST secure, more function} --> WPA-PSK {more secure, LEAST
function}).
"Broons Bane" wrote:

> hi there.
>
> I'm a newbie to this stuff.
>
> I have an existing belkin wireless internet connection and have discovered
> to my horror that it is unsecured. I'm not sure I still have the original
> Belkin CD's.
>
> what do I have to do to secure my network?
>
> Thanks

Broons Bane

"ETLCS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Go to Control Panel-->Network connections-->Network connection. Right
> click
> that one you use, and click the "Wireless Networks" tab, choose
> "properties.
> Click the DATA ENCRPTION, and choose one of the types.
>
> COMMON ONES (LEAST SECURE {homes} TO MORE SECURE {offices, laptops, public
> places})
>
> DISABLED
> WEB
> AES
>
> ALSO: TO GET MORE SECURITY CLICK THE "NETWORK AUTHENTICATION" and click
> one
> (Open {LEAST secure, more function} --> WPA-PSK {more secure, LEAST
> function}).
> "Broons Bane" wrote:
>
>> hi there.
>>
>> I'm a newbie to this stuff.
>>
>> I have an existing belkin wireless internet connection and have
>> discovered
>> to my horror that it is unsecured. I'm not sure I still have the original
>> Belkin CD's.
>>
>> what do I have to do to secure my network?
>>
>> Thanks

cheers that's the but I don't get.

surely if I'm using a new laptop on an unsecured wireless connect, then that
laptop shouldn't have the power to configure the router remotely so that all
future laptops need to type in a password?

Jack

Hi

While the connection is Not secure (on both Router and laptop) you can log
to the Router and configure the Routerís security. Ones the Router security
is implemented your Laptop would be cut Off the connection because it does
not match (yet) the new security setting of the Router.

So, you configure the Laptop security and if it done correctly it would be
able to log back to the Router. If you made a mistake you are out of luck
since your Laptop would not talk to a secured wireless. You would have to
Hard Reset the Router disable the security on the Laptop, and start from
scratch.

Therefore it is Highly recommended that is initial configuration would be
done through a Wire connection. Almost all Laptops has Wired network card
too.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Broons Bane" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:19rXf.998$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi there.
>
> I'm a newbie to this stuff.
>
> I have an existing belkin wireless internet connection and have discovered
> to my horror that it is unsecured. I'm not sure I still have the original
> Belkin CD's.
>
> what do I have to do to secure my network?
>
> Thanks

Lem

Broons Bane wrote:
> "ETLCS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Go to Control Panel-->Network connections-->Network connection. Right
>>click
>>that one you use, and click the "Wireless Networks" tab, choose
>>"properties.
>>Click the DATA ENCRPTION, and choose one of the types.
>>
>>COMMON ONES (LEAST SECURE {homes} TO MORE SECURE {offices, laptops, public
>>places})
>>
>>DISABLED
>>WEB
>>AES
>>
>>ALSO: TO GET MORE SECURITY CLICK THE "NETWORK AUTHENTICATION" and click
>>one
>>(Open {LEAST secure, more function} --> WPA-PSK {more secure, LEAST
>>function}).
>>"Broons Bane" wrote:
>>

>>>hi there.
>>>
>>>I'm a newbie to this stuff.
>>>
>>>I have an existing belkin wireless internet connection and have
>>>discovered
>>>to my horror that it is unsecured. I'm not sure I still have the original
>>>Belkin CD's.
>>>
>>>what do I have to do to secure my network?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>

> cheers that's the but I don't get.
>
> surely if I'm using a new laptop on an unsecured wireless connect, then that
> laptop shouldn't have the power to configure the router remotely so that all
> future laptops need to type in a password?

Unfortunately, that's exactly the case.

One of the very first things that anyone installing a wireless router
should do is to change the userid and password needed to access the
router's configuration utility. In this respect, Belkin's documentation
seems to be sadly inadequate.

Belkin wireless routers, from what I can tell from a brief view of their
site, require no userid at all and a blank password. And their "Quick
Setup" doesn't bother to tell you to change that.

This means that anyone within radio range of an unsecured Belkin
wireless router can simply type 192.168.2.1 (the default IP address for
Belkin routers). This takes them to the "Login" page where, if the
default blank password hasn't been changed, they can login to the router
and change anything they want.

I suggest that you immediately get out the manual for your Belkin
router, find the directions for "setting or changing the administrator
password" and change it. Note that if you forget the password, you can
always reset the router to its factory default (blank password) by
pressing the "reset" button).

Also, contrary to what you might expect, if you're forced to use WEP
encryption (rather than WPA or WPA2) because one or more of your devices
only supports WEP, use "OPEN" authentication. See, e.g.,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884787/en-us