Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > woosh versus Jetstream

woosh versus Jetstream

peter

Hi

I view macromedia presentations.(video).Both at work (jetstream) and at home
(woosh). The presentations are great at work but **** at home.. Why is this
as both connections are meant to be broadband?

Cheers Peter

SNOman

peter wrote:
> Hi
>
> I view macromedia presentations.(video).Both at work (jetstream) and at home
> (woosh). The presentations are great at work but **** at home.. Why is this
> as both connections are meant to be broadband?
>

> Cheers Peter

Wouldn't there be a bigger latency on the wireless connection?

peter

I hate that word latency..

"SNOman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d6gt9j$8rg$(E-Mail Removed)...
> peter wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I view macromedia presentations.(video).Both at work (jetstream) and at
>> home (woosh). The presentations are great at work but **** at home.. Why
>> is this as both connections are meant to be broadband?
>>

>> Cheers Peter

> Wouldn't there be a bigger latency on the wireless connection?

Marek

Because woosh is terrible. It's barely a viable alternate to dial up.

"peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsrSie.1118$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> I view macromedia presentations.(video).Both at work (jetstream) and at

home
> (woosh). The presentations are great at work but **** at home.. Why is

this
> as both connections are meant to be broadband?
>

> Cheers Peter

CSE

On Thu, 19 May 2005 14:22:45 +1200, SNOman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>peter wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I view macromedia presentations.(video).Both at work (jetstream) and at home
>> (woosh). The presentations are great at work but **** at home.. Why is this
>> as both connections are meant to be broadband?
>>

>> Cheers Peter
>>

>Wouldn't there be a bigger latency on the wireless connection?

Woosh is a Bad name more like Sloosh..

Its a bit of a bad joke..

Shane

On Thu, 19 May 2005 14:31:40 +1200, peter wrote:

> I hate that word latency..
>
> "SNOman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d6gt9j$8rg$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> peter wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I view macromedia presentations.(video).Both at work (jetstream) and at
>>> home (woosh). The presentations are great at work but **** at home.. Why
>>> is this as both connections are meant to be broadband?
>>>

>>> Cheers Peter

>> Wouldn't there be a bigger latency on the wireless connection?

Ive learnt a new word a little while back that might be apt for this issue
Jitter
ie. not a smooth transfer of data, instead coming at all manner of speeds

Dave - Dave.net.nz

peter wrote:
> I hate that word latency..

would you prefer lag?

Alan

"peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsrSie.1118$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi
>
> I view macromedia presentations.(video).Both at work (jetstream) and
> at home (woosh). The presentations are great at work but **** at
> home.. Why is this as both connections are meant to be broadband?
>

> Cheers Peter

Hi Peter,

I have the same - Woosh at home and Xtra at work.

Transfer speeds on Woosh are good as far as I need - I get around 30
kb/sec average transfer rate.

However, the speed on woosh varies more than Xtra. If I am
downloading a file, that is a non issue, same for browsing / email
etc. However, if you are playing an online game or watching a
streaming video, I would imagine you'd have a problem.

FWIW I have, so far, been very pleased with Woosh. No capital
outlay for the modem ($200 for Xtra when I looked),
no re-wiring or filters required, $30 a month for the speed above,
seems fine to me, and I can put my laptop anywhere I like in the
house and it works (subject to having a power point close enough
since my Dell's battery life is now very short!)

HTH,

Alan.

peter

Woosh is certainly useful.... And it does work for me to have it as I have a
cell phone, woosh and no home phone line , so there is a saving..Im not
really complaining..But what I really need is a fiber optic connection to
the back bone

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:O9Wie.1221$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsrSie.1118$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I view macromedia presentations.(video).Both at work (jetstream) and
>> at home (woosh). The presentations are great at work but **** at
>> home.. Why is this as both connections are meant to be broadband?
>>

>> Cheers Peter
>>

> Hi Peter,
>
> I have the same - Woosh at home and Xtra at work.
>
> Transfer speeds on Woosh are good as far as I need - I get around 30
> kb/sec average transfer rate.
>
> However, the speed on woosh varies more than Xtra. If I am
> downloading a file, that is a non issue, same for browsing / email
> etc. However, if you are playing an online game or watching a
> streaming video, I would imagine you'd have a problem.
>
> FWIW I have, so far, been very pleased with Woosh. No capital
> outlay for the modem ($200 for Xtra when I looked),
> no re-wiring or filters required, $30 a month for the speed above,
> seems fine to me, and I can put my laptop anywhere I like in the
> house and it works (subject to having a power point close enough
> since my Dell's battery life is now very short!)
>
> HTH,
>
> Alan.

Richard

peter wrote:
> Woosh is certainly useful.... And it does work for me to have it as I have a
> cell phone, woosh and no home phone line , so there is a saving..Im not
> really complaining..But what I really need is a fiber optic connection to
> the back bone

Woosh have caps so low they are laughable, and pings so high they make GPRS look
good.

Roll on naked DSL, that will save $40 a month

Woosh to Woosh Toxickiwi NZ Computing 7 11-01-2004 08:55 AM
script versus code versus ? Russ ASP .Net 1 06-10-2004 03:06 AM