Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > External harddrive enclosure

Reply
Thread Tools

External harddrive enclosure

 
 
shannon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-21-2005
CSE wrote:

>
>
>
>
> YES THERE IS YOU KNOW F ALL, so but out..
>
> SCSI is a Terminated BUSS IDE IS NOT and does have a length limit.
>
>
> Time me thinks for you to stop making a utter Fool of yourself as it shows you
> know nothing about this subject..
>
>
>
>


Calm down and read this
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/unstd_IDE.htm

Laurence D'oh is exploiting the confusion between the generic term "IDE"
(which could possibly also be applied to "integrated drive electronics"
of the SCSI standard) and the specific term "ATA" to play the clever
dick and wind you up.

He's being a jerk, don't take the bait.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lawrence D¹Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-21-2005
In article <428e908a$(E-Mail Removed)>, shannon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>CSE wrote:
>>
>> YES THERE IS YOU KNOW F ALL, so but out..
>>
>> SCSI is a Terminated BUSS IDE IS NOT and does have a length limit.
>>
>>
>> Time me thinks for you to stop making a utter Fool of yourself as it shows
>> you
>> know nothing about this subject..

>
>Calm down and read this
>http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/unstd_IDE.htm
>
>Laurence D'oh is exploiting the confusion between the generic term "IDE"
>(which could possibly also be applied to "integrated drive electronics"
>of the SCSI standard) and the specific term "ATA" to play the clever
>dick and wind you up.
>
>He's being a jerk, don't take the bait.


Since when does being right make you a jerk?

Lawrence "Yes, I can out-Woger Woger" D'Oliveiro
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
shannon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-21-2005
Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <428e908a$(E-Mail Removed)>, shannon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>>CSE wrote:
>>
>>>YES THERE IS YOU KNOW F ALL, so but out..
>>>
>>>SCSI is a Terminated BUSS IDE IS NOT and does have a length limit.
>>>
>>>
>>>Time me thinks for you to stop making a utter Fool of yourself as it shows
>>>you
>>>know nothing about this subject..

>>
>>Calm down and read this
>>http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/unstd_IDE.htm
>>
>>Laurence D'oh is exploiting the confusion between the generic term "IDE"
>>(which could possibly also be applied to "integrated drive electronics"
>>of the SCSI standard) and the specific term "ATA" to play the clever
>>dick and wind you up.
>>
>>He's being a jerk, don't take the bait.

>
>
> Since when does being right make you a jerk?
>
> Lawrence "Yes, I can out-Woger Woger" D'Oliveiro


OK, you're special too
 
Reply With Quote
 
Brendan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-21-2005
On Fri, 20 May 2005 23:16:00 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> The question was about IDE. SCSI is a form of IDE, and so is SATA.
> Neither of them has the cable length limitation you mentioned.


SCSI is NOT a form of IDE. Never has been. SCSI is a more capable protocol,
although SATA is closing the distance.

SCSI, SATA, ATA, IDE, ATA-33, ATA-66, and ATA-100 all have set cable length
limits, beyond which you are likely to have data corruption problems.

For that matter, USB, Parallel (printer etc), RS-232 serial, Firewire, VGA,
DVI, ethernet, etc all have limits too. Some are pretty strict, some are
estimates, but all increase the liklyhood of problems the longer they get
over the limit.

--

.... Brendan

416857 +(3496)- [X]

<born1986> why the **** isn't my disc drive working
<born1986> i ****ing worked on that essay for three friggin' hours in
school
<born1986> i now i cant finish it 'cos my ****in drive ain't working
<Z00ass> you got the right drivers?
<born1986> hell yes
<born1986> it was working fine yesterday
<born1986> why does this **** always happen to me?
<Z00ass> maybe that little clip on the side is i nthe wrong position
<born1986> i havent touched it since school
<born1986> i'm growing impatient
<born1986> ANGRY even
<Z00ass> throw that **** out tha window

.. . .

<born1986> OMG i ****in did it!!!
<born1986> ****!!!!!
<Z00ass> it works?
<born1986> no, i threw it out the window
<Z00ass> the disk?
<born1986> NO the whole drive
<born1986> i live on the 6th floor, made a nice *smash*
<Z00ass>
<born1986> **** **** ****
<born1986> THE DISK WAS STILL INSIDE
<born1986> brb

.. . .

<born1986> ****
<Z00ass> what? did ya break it?
<born1986> well i couldn't open the drive
<born1986> so i had to pound it against a rock
<Z00ass>
<born1986> quite HARD
<born1986> and you know what?
<born1986> that ****ing disk wasnt even there
<Z00ass> ???
<born1986> i got so mad i threw the remaiders of the drive on to the
freeway
<born1986> and when i got back upstairs i foud the disk inside my bag
<Z00ass> lol
<born1986> I NEVER EVEN PUT IT IN THE DRIVE
<born1986> i'm actually cryin right now

.. . .

<born1986> wonder if i could make that drive work again
<born1986> brb


Note: All my comments are copyright 20/05/2005 11:44:41 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Brendan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-21-2005
On Thu, 19 May 2005 22:24:41 +1200, Malcolm wrote:

> "BAD TRAP occurred in module "woger" due to an illegal question from a
> poster."


lol

--

.... Brendan

5775 +(8003)- [X]

* ab is away - gone, if anyone talks in the next 25 minutes as me it's bm
being an asshole -
<ab> HAHAHA DISREGARD THAT, I SUCK COCKS


Note: All my comments are copyright 20/05/2005 9:55:49 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tim Tam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-21-2005
ofn01 wrote:
> JedMeister wrote:
>
>> I just ordered a seagate 400gb ide harddrive.
>>
>> Rather than install this into the PC internally, I think it would be
>> useful to purchase a harddrive enclosure.
>>
>> Any recommendations? I noticed some enclosures only support up to
>> 300gb (in the small print) but I don't know if this is true in general
>> of all enclosures.
>>

>
> Try to get one with external power.
> I have a notebook IDE drive in a USB enclosure that is all powered off
> the USB lead and 9/10 it won't be recognised the first time I plug it
> in. But unplugging and replugging it in 9/10 it will be recognised. I
> suspect this is something to do with the powering up of the drive the
> first time. Then again it could be XP being a pain.

I have the same problem, DSE case with 5G IBM hdd taken from my laptop
when I put in a 30G.
Works perfectly with linux (mandrake 10) but I've give up trying to get
it working with any version of windows.

Tim
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-21-2005
In article <1pmojiw9iitl5$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Brendan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 20 May 2005 23:16:00 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> The question was about IDE. SCSI is a form of IDE, and so is SATA.
>> Neither of them has the cable length limitation you mentioned.

>
>SCSI is NOT a form of IDE.


Yes it is. IDE stands for "Integrated Drive Electronics", which means
the disk controller is built into the drive, and the CPU communicates
with it through a higher-level channel controller. SCSI was the first
popular method of doing this. Then there was Compaq's ESDI, which was
never very popular. Then ATA and ATAPI. Then SATA (Serial ATA), after
which the old ATA was retroactively renamed to PATA (Parallel ATA).

All different instances of the IDE concept.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Brendan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-21-2005
On Sat, 21 May 2005 23:09:10 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> Yes it is. IDE stands for "Integrated Drive Electronics", which means
> the disk controller is built into the drive, and the CPU communicates
> with it through a higher-level channel controller. SCSI was the first
> popular method of doing this. Then there was Compaq's ESDI, which was
> never very popular. Then ATA and ATAPI. Then SATA (Serial ATA), after
> which the old ATA was retroactively renamed to PATA (Parallel ATA).
>
> All different instances of the IDE concept.


All very nice and all totally irrelevant. You used an industry standard
acronym in relation to PC hard drives. In that domain IDE refers to the IDE
ATA standard set of protocols and interfaces.

--

.... Brendan

7936 +(3835)- [X]

*** Quits: TITANIC (Excess Flood)


Note: All my comments are copyright 22/05/2005 1:40:24 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-21-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Brendan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 21 May 2005 23:09:10 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> Yes it is. IDE stands for "Integrated Drive Electronics", which means
>> the disk controller is built into the drive, and the CPU communicates
>> with it through a higher-level channel controller. SCSI was the first
>> popular method of doing this. Then there was Compaq's ESDI, which was
>> never very popular. Then ATA and ATAPI. Then SATA (Serial ATA), after
>> which the old ATA was retroactively renamed to PATA (Parallel ATA).
>>
>> All different instances of the IDE concept.

>
>All very nice and all totally irrelevant. You used an industry standard
>acronym in relation to PC hard drives. In that domain IDE refers to the IDE
>ATA standard set of protocols and interfaces.


*All* the interfaces I referred to are or were used in PCs.
 
Reply With Quote
 
-=[Waylon Smithers]=-
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-21-2005
> When you have done some Electronic development and got you name in the
> Newspaper than you can comments..


Do you have any proof to back this claim up ? A date perhaps ?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Usb Enclosure unable to copy onto harddrive mike892@gmail.com Computer Information 0 04-09-2006 04:48 AM
Athena Power SNT-2312B2 External HDD Enclosure Review @ OCModShop Silverstrand Front Page News 0 02-08-2006 04:31 AM
Bytecc Backup Star One-Touch Backup External Enclosure @ A True Review Silverstrand Front Page News 0 11-24-2005 04:01 PM
Icy Box launches 1.8” & 2.5” alloy external enclosure m1k30rz Front Page News 0 06-21-2005 11:35 AM
IBM USB2.0 External 2.5" HD Enclosure tim Computer Support 3 12-28-2003 09:04 PM



Advertisments