Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > External harddrive enclosure

External harddrive enclosure

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
CSE <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 19 May 2005 14:00:02 +1200, Chris Hope <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>CSE wrote:

>>> You can't use a IDE drive externally..

>>Yes you can, if you have an enclosure for it where they plug into either
>>a USB or firewire port. I've done this myself with quite a few
>>different IDE drives.

>YOU BLODDY CAN"T don't you know how to READ..
>
>IDE has a Limited length of cable and it not a true buss.

IDE can be implemented on a bus. After all, it just stands for
"Integrated Drive Electronics". SCSI, ATAPI and SATA are all forms of
IDE, and at least 2 of those can be used both internally and externally.

Andrew

CSE wrote:
> On Thu, 19 May 2005 14:00:02 +1200, Chris Hope <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>CSE wrote:

>>>You can't use a IDE drive externally..

>>Yes you can, if you have an enclosure for it where they plug into either
>>a USB or firewire port. I've done this myself with quite a few
>>different IDE drives.

> YOU BLODDY CAN"T don't you know how to READ..
>
> IDE has a Limited length of cable and it not a true buss.
>
> The Poster stated noting at all about USB etc..

Have you ever heard of an external drive enclosure?

S Roby

>You can't use a IDE drive externally..

I see we are overusing using our internal brainial functionaryisms
What he meant by externally was attached to his body where as others would use
IDE as a suppository(Internally)

I myself have used a IDE externally: ie used it outdoors, using it at the end
of the max IDE cable length; it made an excellent weapon/childs toy.

& enclosures used to be available that connect an external IDE via
a round ide cable that plugged into a socket at the back of the PC
This was before USB of course, & worked just fine.

S Roby

>> I use the 3.5inch DSE case, at $153 it is USB and firewire 400 and has a
>> cooling fan.
>>
>> If you want half way decent performance you need to go firewire,
>> especially as a PCI firewire card is all of $35....also at DSE. The
>> firewire end works in Linux, Win2k and Mac OSx.

Some Sound Blaster(Audigy) sound cards have a firewire port, worth a look??
Also note that the small fans quite often get very noisey

Jedmeister

"phstpok" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d6gqpv$34e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> JedMeister wrote:
>> I just ordered a seagate 400gb ide harddrive.
>>
>> Rather than install this into the PC internally, I think it would be
>> useful to purchase a harddrive enclosure.
>>
>> Any recommendations? I noticed some enclosures only support up to 300gb
>> (in the small print) but I don't know if this is true in general of all
>> enclosures.
>>

> Why would that be. The external enclosures don't have their own bios,
> Unless in your own bios there is some limit. What connection? usb?,
> firewire,?
>
> --
>

> http://phstpok.blog.co.uk/main/

I don't know, 300gb was listed as a restriction on one of the enclosures I
looked at. I guess I will just ask the vendor to confirm compatibility
with 400gb drives before I buy.

USB 2.0 mandatory, firewire is a plus but no big deal.

Jedmeister

"thing" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> JedMeister wrote:
>> I just ordered a seagate 400gb ide harddrive.
>>
>> Rather than install this into the PC internally, I think it would be
>> useful to purchase a harddrive enclosure.
>>
>> Any recommendations? I noticed some enclosures only support up to 300gb
>> (in the small print) but I don't know if this is true in general of all
>> enclosures.
>>

> I use the 3.5inch DSE case, at $153 it is USB and firewire 400 and has a
> cooling fan.
>
> If you want half way decent performance you need to go firewire,
> especially as a PCI firewire card is all of $35....also at DSE. The
> firewire end works in Linux, Win2k and Mac OSx.
>
> Capacity is not the limiting factor, look at the power usage of a 300gig
> drive and the 400 gig drive (probably the same) and make sure the external
> case can cope with a margin.
>
> regards
>
> thing

Thanks for this, I'll check out DSE.

thing

S Roby wrote:
>>>I use the 3.5inch DSE case, at $153 it is USB and firewire 400 and has a
>>>cooling fan.
>>>
>>>If you want half way decent performance you need to go firewire,
>>>especially as a PCI firewire card is all of $35....also at DSE. The
>>>firewire end works in Linux, Win2k and Mac OSx.
>>>

> Some Sound Blaster(Audigy) sound cards have a firewire port, worth a look??
> Also note that the small fans quite often get very noisey

Yes they do, I have the external one, it maybe the Audigy2 ones only
though. The DSE's fan does not seem unduly noisy, but thats because the
present drive is way loud!

regards

thing

CSE

On Thu, 19 May 2005 16:53:33 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> CSE <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 19 May 2005 14:00:02 +1200, Chris Hope <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:

>>>Yes you can, if you have an enclosure for it where they plug into either
>>>a USB or firewire port. I've done this myself with quite a few
>>>different IDE drives.

>>YOU BLODDY CAN"T don't you know how to READ..
>>
>>IDE has a Limited length of cable and it not a true buss.

>IDE can be implemented on a bus. After all, it just stands for
>"Integrated Drive Electronics". SCSI, ATAPI and SATA are all forms of
>IDE, and at least 2 of those can be used both internally and externally.

No it can't as its a TTL Interface and the Max cable length is a TOTAL of 18"
and that is stretching it as the Data books State 12", time me think you do
need some basic training as you just don't know a thing...

When you have done some Electronic development and got you name in the
Newspaper than you can comments..

Bret

On Thu, 19 May 2005 19:19:58 +1200, CSE <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Thu, 19 May 2005 16:53:33 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
><(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> CSE <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>YOU BLODDY CAN"T don't you know how to READ..
>>>
>>>IDE has a Limited length of cable and it not a true buss.

>>IDE can be implemented on a bus. After all, it just stands for
>>"Integrated Drive Electronics". SCSI, ATAPI and SATA are all forms of
>>IDE, and at least 2 of those can be used both internally and externally.

>No it can't as its a TTL Interface and the Max cable length is a TOTAL of 18"
>and that is stretching it as the Data books State 12", time me think you do
>need some basic training as you just don't know a thing...
>
>When you have done some Electronic development and got you name in the
>Newspaper than you can comments..

You appear to be talking at cross purposes Roger, re-read the OP.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
CSE <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 19 May 2005 16:53:33 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
><(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> CSE <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>On Thu, 19 May 2005 14:00:02 +1200, Chris Hope
>>><(E-Mail Removed)>

>>>YOU BLODDY CAN"T don't you know how to READ..
>>>
>>>IDE has a Limited length of cable and it not a true buss.

>>IDE can be implemented on a bus. After all, it just stands for
>>"Integrated Drive Electronics". SCSI, ATAPI and SATA are all forms of
>>IDE, and at least 2 of those can be used both internally and externally.

>No it can't as its a TTL Interface and the Max cable length is a TOTAL of 18"
>and that is stretching it as the Data books State 12", time me think you do
>need some basic training as you just don't know a thing...

Obviously you don't know anything about SCSI or SATA.