Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Firefox default browser when........

Firefox default browser when........

JC

Clicking on the new mail icon in MSN Messenger.
Does anyone know how to make firefox load, instead of IE all the time,
when doing the above?

Thanks

shannon

JC wrote:

> Clicking on the new mail icon in MSN Messenger.
> Does anyone know how to make firefox load, instead of IE all the time,
> when doing the above?
>
> Thanks

In Firefox or Thunderbird there are options to make them default apps.
under Tools Options General

Nik Coughin

shannon wrote:
> JC wrote:
>
>> Clicking on the new mail icon in MSN Messenger.
>> Does anyone know how to make firefox load, instead of IE all the
>> time, when doing the above?
>>
>> Thanks

> In Firefox or Thunderbird there are options to make them default apps.
> under Tools Options General

That doesn't work. MSN Messenger insists on launching IE no matter what.

I found a workaround, but it's not great, have to install some third party
stuff.

Anyhow, this is how I did it:

Downloaded MSN Plus from http://www.msgplus.net/download.php

You then need to download a plugin for MSN Plus, this plugin has a setting
"launch mail in default browser"

The plugin is: http://www.stuffplug.com/

Then:

1. Open messenger and select the "Plus" menu option.
2. Select "Plug-ins"
3. Enable "Stuff Plug"
4. Restart Messenger.
6. Click on "Stuff Plug" and hit the configure button.
7. Select 'Open Hotmail Inbox in my default browser'.

If anyone knows an easier way I would love to hear it.

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <stvie.744$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote:

>MSN Messenger insists on launching IE no matter what.

Does Dimdows support the concept of symlinks? If so, you could make a
symlink where Messenger expects to find Explorer, only it's pointing to
the Firefox executable.