Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > App info

App info

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <Y_Zie.1327$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Ron McNulty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> I'm trying to think what actual word has the closest Hamming distance to

>Gosh Lawrence, I think an explanation of "Hamming distance" might be in
>order.

<http://www.****inggoogleit.com/?query=hamming%20distance>

lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

Recently I used a loan external modem with an WinXP-selected
driver and found that my connection times were very much quick that
the internal Lucent Win modem I'd been using previously.

I've reverted to the internal Lucent modem and using
WinXP-selected driver the connection times are better than those
achieved with the drivers supplied with the modem, but still not as
good as the times with the external modem.

Why would there be such a major difference in connection speed
between the two modems.

Can I add any commands to the internal modem to facilitate
quicker connection times?

colinco

In article lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz says...

> Can I add any commands to the internal modem to facilitate
> quicker connection times?

What ISP? Are you talking time to connect or speed once connected? Is it
a V.90 v's V.92 thing assuming that the external is using V.90 rather
than v.34? You can force the Lucent to negotiate a particular protocol
and max speed.

XPD

<lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Recently I used a loan external modem with an WinXP-selected
> driver and found that my connection times were very much quick that
> the internal Lucent Win modem I'd been using previously.

Lucent Win Modems (AKA Softmodems) are software based and reply on your CPU
to help them along whereas an external modem (serial, not USB generally) is
hardware based and does all its own work freeing up your CPU. So if you are
running fairly CPU intensive apps on your system with a Soft modem youll
find the performance drops with the modem.

One trick I learnt while on the IHUG helldesk, was to drop the users desktop
resolution to 800x600, this seemed to improve a lot of peoples connections,
however at a smaller screen obviously. Suspect those users were using
onboard video with shared RAM etc....

Ive still got a couple of external serial modems for clients who are on
older systems and having connection issues. If you want an external modem,
make sure its Rockwell ACF/ACFII based, they kick butt

colinco

In article XPD says...
> Lucent Win Modems (AKA Softmodems) are software based and reply on your CPU
> to help them along whereas an external modem (serial, not USB generally) is
> hardware based and does all its own work freeing up your CPU. So if you are
> running fairly CPU intensive apps on your system with a Soft modem youll
> find the performance drops with the modem.

So long as it has a hardware DSP Lucent claim that their modem can use
less CPU time than the serial port needed to run an external modem.

lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

>What ISP?

Paradise

>Are you talking time to connect or speed once connected?

Time to connect
> Is it a V.90 v's V.92 thing

V92

> assuming that the external is using V.90 rather than v.34?

Don't know : Dynalink V1456 VQE-R Data/Fax/Voice

>You can force the Lucent to negotiate a particular protocol
>and max speed.

How ?

Tim

avoid win modems and usb modems like the plague.
Every new OS version (regardless of OS) will give you grief finding drivers
that are reliable for win modems and USB modems.

An external modem that is 'AT' compatible will always work to some degree
with default drivers.

Some of the hardware based Lucent modems are good (so long as they are not
win modems). In general, the rockwell modems are excellent. If you want a
good external modem then get one of the dynalinks.

As for connection times, you could spend hours on this and improve it only a
second or two, so is it worth the effort?

- Tim

http://www.modemsite.com/56k/x2-linklimit.asp#Lucent