Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > PS3 Announced

PS3 Announced

Daniel

Just as I'm getting used to how insane the Xbox 360 specs are (for a
console), along comes Sony:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05...s_6124681.html

* 3.2GHz Cell Processor (2.18 teraflops - whatever that is)
* 256MB XDR RAM @ 3.2GHz
* 256MB GDDR VRAM @ 700MHz
* Blu-ray drive
* Backward compatible with PS2 & PS1
* Memory Stick Duo, SD, & Compact Flash slots
* 2.5 inch HDD slot (rumoured to be 160GB at release)

And the real kicker:
* Nvidia RSX "Reality Synthesizer"...
The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision, 1080p resolution,
some of the highest HD resolution around. The RSX also has 512mb of
graphics render memory and is capable of 100 billion shader operations
and 51 billion dot products per second. It also has over 300 million
transistors, larger than any processor available commercially today. It
will be manufactured using the 90nm process with 8 layers of metal. The
RSX is more powerful than *two* GeForce 6800 Ultra video cards, which
would cost roughly $1000 total if bought today.

Now it's Nintendo's turn.

Bret

On Tue, 17 May 2005 12:13:07 +1200, Daniel <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Just as I'm getting used to how insane the Xbox 360 specs are (for a
>console), along comes Sony:
>
>http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05...s_6124681.html
>
>* 3.2GHz Cell Processor (2.18 teraflops - whatever that is)
>* 256MB XDR RAM @ 3.2GHz
>* 256MB GDDR VRAM @ 700MHz
>* Blu-ray drive
>* Backward compatible with PS2 & PS1
>* Memory Stick Duo, SD, & Compact Flash slots
>* 2.5 inch HDD slot (rumoured to be 160GB at release)
>
>And the real kicker:
>* Nvidia RSX "Reality Synthesizer"...
>The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision, 1080p resolution,
>some of the highest HD resolution around. The RSX also has 512mb of
>graphics render memory and is capable of 100 billion shader operations
>and 51 billion dot products per second. It also has over 300 million
>transistors, larger than any processor available commercially today. It
>will be manufactured using the 90nm process with 8 layers of metal. The
>RSX is more powerful than *two* GeForce 6800 Ultra video cards, which
>would cost roughly $1000 total if bought today.
>
>Now it's Nintendo's turn.

I think the Xbox will be outclassed.

Mutlley

Daniel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Just as I'm getting used to how insane the Xbox 360 specs are (for a
>console), along comes Sony:
>
>http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05...s_6124681.html
>
>* 3.2GHz Cell Processor (2.18 teraflops - whatever that is)
>* 256MB XDR RAM @ 3.2GHz
>* 256MB GDDR VRAM @ 700MHz
>* Blu-ray drive
>* Backward compatible with PS2 & PS1
>* Memory Stick Duo, SD, & Compact Flash slots
>* 2.5 inch HDD slot (rumoured to be 160GB at release)
>
>And the real kicker:
>* Nvidia RSX "Reality Synthesizer"...
>The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision, 1080p resolution,
>some of the highest HD resolution around. The RSX also has 512mb of
>graphics render memory and is capable of 100 billion shader operations
>and 51 billion dot products per second. It also has over 300 million
>transistors, larger than any processor available commercially today. It
>will be manufactured using the 90nm process with 8 layers of metal. The
>RSX is more powerful than *two* GeForce 6800 Ultra video cards, which
>would cost roughly $1000 total if bought today.
>
>Now it's Nintendo's turn.

What OS does it run??

Daniel

Bret wrote:

> I think the Xbox will be outclassed.

I think you're right

Daniel

Mutlley wrote:

> What OS does it run??

Well, I know one OS it won't be running

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Mutlley wrote:

> What OS does it run??

PS3OS

Bret

On Tue, 17 May 2005 12:53:38 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mutlley wrote:
>
>> What OS does it run??

>PS3OS

Or shortspike.

cowboyz

On Tue, 17 May 2005 12:40:03 +1200, Bret <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Tue, 17 May 2005 12:13:07 +1200, Daniel <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Just as I'm getting used to how insane the Xbox 360 specs are (for a
>> console), along comes Sony:
>>
>> http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05...s_6124681.html
>>
>> * 3.2GHz Cell Processor (2.18 teraflops - whatever that is)
>> * 256MB XDR RAM @ 3.2GHz
>> * 256MB GDDR VRAM @ 700MHz
>> * Blu-ray drive
>> * Backward compatible with PS2 & PS1
>> * Memory Stick Duo, SD, & Compact Flash slots
>> * 2.5 inch HDD slot (rumoured to be 160GB at release)
>>
>> And the real kicker:
>> * Nvidia RSX "Reality Synthesizer"...
>> The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision, 1080p resolution,
>> some of the highest HD resolution around. The RSX also has 512mb of
>> graphics render memory and is capable of 100 billion shader operations
>> and 51 billion dot products per second. It also has over 300 million
>> transistors, larger than any processor available commercially today. It
>> will be manufactured using the 90nm process with 8 layers of metal. The
>> RSX is more powerful than *two* GeForce 6800 Ultra video cards, which
>> would cost roughly $1000 total if bought today.
>>
>> Now it's Nintendo's turn.

> I think the Xbox will be outclassed.

I'll be waiting on the games. After all. that is what really matters.
To be honest, i am getting more than a little bored with new release games
lately. I got the punisher the other day which is good but I still find
myself resorting to rise of nations and starcraft for quality
entertainment.

David Preece

Daniel wrote:
> The
> RSX is more powerful than *two* GeForce 6800 Ultra video cards

LOL. Really, out loud. At the idea of sticking something that powerful
in a console.

Holy mother of god, that's some **** big video card.

Dave

BrianM

On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:54:03 +1200, David Preece wrote:

> Daniel wrote:
>> The
>> RSX is more powerful than *two* GeForce 6800 Ultra video cards

> LOL. Really, out loud. At the idea of sticking something that powerful
> in a console.
>
> Holy mother of god, that's some **** big video card.
>
> Dave

Now if we can just get ID and Capcom to port their games to it .....
(Doom 3, Dino Crisis 3)

cheers
BrianM