Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > PS3 Announced

PS3 Announced

David Preece

Bret wrote:
> I think the Xbox will be outclassed.

One way of putting it. The XBox's 'traditional' technical advantage is
certainly toast.

Dave

David Preece

Daniel wrote:
> The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision, 1080p resolution

I just noticed something - this says 1080p, and it's not a typo.

p, as in "progressive scan", as in "not interlaced". So about twice as
many pixels as XBox 2 and more than can be delivered by ... anything.
Certainly a heap more resolution than HDTV.

Also interesting are some details

"Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-base processing)"

In other words, no hardware DTS. AND....

"Communication Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)
x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)"

Sounds like it acts as a router too. Oh, and GigE! On a console! AND...

"HDMI out x 2" which is interesting when taken in the context of "Full
HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels". Multiple monitors on a console, or
stereo vision?

No two ways about it, from a hardware perspective the XBox looks like a
pile of crud. Right - anyone going to make games for this thing then?

Dave

Shane

On Tue, 17 May 2005 20:34:46 +1200, David Preece wrote:

> Daniel wrote:
>> The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision, 1080p resolution

> I just noticed something - this says 1080p, and it's not a typo.
>
> p, as in "progressive scan", as in "not interlaced". So about twice as
> many pixels as XBox 2 and more than can be delivered by ... anything.
> Certainly a heap more resolution than HDTV.
>
> Also interesting are some details
>
> "Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-base processing)"
>
> In other words, no hardware DTS. AND....
>
> "Communication Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)
> x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)"
>
> Sounds like it acts as a router too. Oh, and GigE! On a console! AND...
>
> "HDMI out x 2" which is interesting when taken in the context of "Full
> HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels". Multiple monitors on a console, or
> stereo vision?
>
> No two ways about it, from a hardware perspective the XBox looks like a
> pile of crud. Right - anyone going to make games for this thing then?
>
> Dave

heh.. who cares... I want to know what linux has been ported to it!

E. Scrooge

"BrianM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) .nx...
> On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:54:03 +1200, David Preece wrote:
>
>> Daniel wrote:
>>> The
>>> RSX is more powerful than *two* GeForce 6800 Ultra video cards

>> LOL. Really, out loud. At the idea of sticking something that powerful
>> in a console.
>>
>> Holy mother of god, that's some **** big video card.
>>
>> Dave

> Now if we can just get ID and Capcom to port their games to it .....
> (Doom 3, Dino Crisis 3)
>
> cheers
> BrianM

Doom 4 surely - think big and better. Doom 3 will be a $29 budget game
before you know it.

It's competition will come from SONY's own cheap PS2, which will still be
sold and supported for a few years yet.

E. Scrooge

JedMeister

"Daniel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d6bcur$cb7$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just as I'm getting used to how insane the Xbox 360 specs are (for a
> console), along comes Sony:
>
> http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05...s_6124681.html
>
> * 3.2GHz Cell Processor (2.18 teraflops - whatever that is)
> * 256MB XDR RAM @ 3.2GHz
> * 256MB GDDR VRAM @ 700MHz
> * Blu-ray drive
> * Backward compatible with PS2 & PS1
> * Memory Stick Duo, SD, & Compact Flash slots
> * 2.5 inch HDD slot (rumoured to be 160GB at release)
>
> And the real kicker:
> * Nvidia RSX "Reality Synthesizer"...
> The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision, 1080p resolution, some
> of the highest HD resolution around. The RSX also has 512mb of graphics
> render memory and is capable of 100 billion shader operations and 51
> billion dot products per second. It also has over 300 million transistors,
> larger than any processor available commercially today. It will be
> manufactured using the 90nm process with 8 layers of metal. The RSX is
> more powerful than *two* GeForce 6800 Ultra video cards, which would cost
> roughly $1000 total if bought today.
>
> Now it's Nintendo's turn.

2 questions / points...

1. I recall the US govt wanting to restrict exports of PS2/xbox to some
countries as the chips could be used for missile guidance or something.
With these new chips, the processing power is so huge I am curious to see
what the US does this time.

2. NZ are lagging behind hugely on HD and digital TV services (courtesy of
Helen Clark reigning in TVNZ a few years ago). It seems the gaming/video
camera industry may drive sales of HD sets in NZ, rather than the
broadcasting authorities. Very very strange.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "AD." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)
>In my opinion HDTV can wait as long as it likes - anyone who takes
>watching telly that seriously should consider getting a better hobby. I
>presume there has been some sort of standard agreed on by now? If not
>chances are the countries that get it first are likely to be stuck with
>inferior standards eg like the US was with most things.

Agreed. There is a great deal to be said for being second or third to a new
market

Bruce

-------------------------------------
- George Bernard Shaw
- Ambrose Bierce

(if there were any)

AD.

On Wed, 18 May 2005 13:18:16 +1200, JedMeister wrote:

> 1. I recall the US govt wanting to restrict exports of PS2/xbox to some
> countries as the chips could be used for missile guidance or something.
> With these new chips, the processing power is so huge I am curious to
> see what the US does this time.

It wasn't quite like that. The US has (or at least had?) export
restrictions on supercomputers to stop people using them for nukes
research etc (not missile guidance though - that's far less demanding).
The regulations defined a supercomputer has one having a certain number of
operations per second or something. Of course legal stuff being legal
stuff it couldn't keep up with technological progress and one day someone
noticed that the PS2 (or whatever it was at the time) exceeded the
outdated and limited legal definition of what a super computer actually
was.

The US never tried restricting games consoles on that basis.

--
Cheers
Anton

Jedmeister

"Bruce Sinclair" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote
in message news:8Lyie.838$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "AD."
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (snip)
>>In my opinion HDTV can wait as long as it likes - anyone who takes
>>watching telly that seriously should consider getting a better hobby. I
>>presume there has been some sort of standard agreed on by now? If not
>>chances are the countries that get it first are likely to be stuck with
>>inferior standards eg like the US was with most things.

> Agreed. There is a great deal to be said for being second or third to a
> new
> market
>

> Bruce

Yeah, same with the automobile - we should not have let them in.

BrianM

On Tue, 17 May 2005 22:55:24 +1200, E. Scrooge wrote:

> "BrianM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed) .nx...

>>> LOL. Really, out loud. At the idea of sticking something that powerful
>>> in a console.
>>>
>>> Holy mother of god, that's some **** big video card.
>>>
>>> Dave

>> Now if we can just get ID and Capcom to port their games to it .....
>> (Doom 3, Dino Crisis 3)
>>
>> cheers
>> BrianM

> Doom 4 surely - think big and better. Doom 3 will be a $29 budget game
> before you know it.
>
> It's competition will come from SONY's own cheap PS2, which will still
> be sold and supported for a few years yet.
>
> E. Scrooge

Can't see Doom4 anytime soon Scroogie, it took Id bloody years to make Doom3.
I am looking forward to seeing the new PS3 in action.

cheers
BrianM

Radeon350@yahoo.com

David Preece wrote:
> Bret wrote:
> > I think the Xbox will be outclassed.

> One way of putting it. The XBox's 'traditional' technical advantage

is
> certainly toast.
>
> Dave

well, only for the moment.

the PS3 clearly beats Xbox2 in most areas, on paper anyway. Sony has
tech spec advantage. that is, until Xbox3 arrives with far superior
hardware to what is in PS3.