Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ~OT: Kiwis contracting to the US

~OT: Kiwis contracting to the US

gimp

oddball question here - i crossposted this to nz.comp thinking maybe
there are some IT people who have experience with this.

does anybody know what the taxation laws are regarding freelancing to
the US from NZ (ie, working from here in NZ, but the work is being paid
for on a per-project basis by US companies).

i know that as long as i was working here and not operating from the US,
as a contrator I'm exempt from paying tax to the IRS - but do i still
need an individual taxpayer identification number? (ITIN) or have to
file anything..?

Tarla

gimp wrote:
> oddball question here - i crossposted this to nz.comp thinking maybe
> there are some IT people who have experience with this.
>
> does anybody know what the taxation laws are regarding freelancing to
> the US from NZ (ie, working from here in NZ, but the work is being paid
> for on a per-project basis by US companies).
>
> i know that as long as i was working here and not operating from the US,
> as a contrator I'm exempt from paying tax to the IRS - but do i still
> need an individual taxpayer identification number? (ITIN) or have to
> file anything..?

What's your nationality?

gimp

Tarla wrote:
> gimp wrote:
>
>> oddball question here - i crossposted this to nz.comp thinking maybe
>> there are some IT people who have experience with this.
>>
>> does anybody know what the taxation laws are regarding freelancing to
>> the US from NZ (ie, working from here in NZ, but the work is being paid
>> for on a per-project basis by US companies).
>>
>> i know that as long as i was working here and not operating from the
>> US, as a contrator I'm exempt from paying tax to the IRS - but do i
>> still need an individual taxpayer identification number? (ITIN) or
>> have to file anything..?

> What's your nationality?

oops, left that out.. born a kiwi

Tarla

gimp wrote:
> Tarla wrote:
>
>> gimp wrote:
>>
>>> oddball question here - i crossposted this to nz.comp thinking maybe
>>> there are some IT people who have experience with this.
>>>
>>> does anybody know what the taxation laws are regarding freelancing to
>>> the US from NZ (ie, working from here in NZ, but the work is being paid
>>> for on a per-project basis by US companies).
>>>
>>> i know that as long as i was working here and not operating from the
>>> US, as a contrator I'm exempt from paying tax to the IRS - but do i
>>> still need an individual taxpayer identification number? (ITIN) or
>>> have to file anything..?

>> What's your nationality?

> oops, left that out.. born a kiwi

If you're living here, and and not resident in the US at all, you only
pay NZ taxes, and you don't need a tax number because you won't be
paying into the Social Security System.

gimp

Tarla wrote:
> If you're living here, and and not resident in the US at all, you only
> pay NZ taxes, and you don't need a tax number because you won't be
> paying into the Social Security System.

thanks for the info

EMB

gimp wrote:
> Tarla wrote:
>
>> If you're living here, and and not resident in the US at all, you only
>> pay NZ taxes, and you don't need a tax number because you won't be
>> paying into the Social Security System.

> thanks for the info

AIUI if you're going to earn over the threshold for GST registration you
will need register even though your services will be GST exempt
(provided outside NZ). You'll just have to make an adjustment for zero
rated supplies on each return. I'd suggest you either contact IRD or a
good accountant to clarify this.

--
EMB

gimp

EMB wrote:
> AIUI if you're going to earn over the threshold for GST registration

you
> will need register even though your services will be GST exempt
> (provided outside NZ). You'll just have to make an adjustment for zero
> rated supplies on each return. I'd suggest you either contact IRD or a
> good accountant to clarify this.

yep i'm already registered for gst

Ron McNulty

Yes, all your invoices to the USA go in the Zero Rated Supplies box, and you
don't charge them GST. I have an opinion from a major accounting firm that
confirms this (Technically you do charge them GST, but the rate is 0%)

Regards

Ron

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d68mt7$rln$(E-Mail Removed)...
> gimp wrote:
>> Tarla wrote:
>>
>>> If you're living here, and and not resident in the US at all, you only
>>> pay NZ taxes, and you don't need a tax number because you won't be
>>> paying into the Social Security System.

>> thanks for the info

> AIUI if you're going to earn over the threshold for GST registration you
> will need register even though your services will be GST exempt (provided
> outside NZ). You'll just have to make an adjustment for zero rated
> supplies on each return. I'd suggest you either contact IRD or a good
> accountant to clarify this.
>
> --
> EMB

NZed

What if you lived in the Canary Islands ?
Taxed ?
NZed

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

NZed wrote:
> What if you lived in the Canary Islands ?
> Taxed ?
> NZed

I have no idea. I thought the Canary Islands were a part of Spain.

Contracting {-.-} NZ Computing 36 03-21-2008 08:02 AM
contracting =?Utf-8?B?dGhlIGowYmJ5?= MCSE 49 08-26-2005 05:53 PM
Java Contracting Jobs In Memphis, Tennessee Edward Berard Java 0 06-02-2005 12:05 AM
[OT] Crazy Kiwis JaR MCSE 20 08-15-2004 12:13 AM
Any kiwis out there? Brian H Computer Support 5 12-13-2003 12:20 PM

Advertisments