Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > What is currently the best laptop under $5000 for gaming?

What is currently the best laptop under $5000 for gaming?

mark

I'm looking at purchasing a new laptop, and want something that will suit
3d games. Has anyone got a recommended model, or suggestions on what to
look out for (eg., PCI Express Radeon X600 vs 9600 mobile etc etc).

Cheers,
Mark

Daniel

mark wrote:
> I'm looking at purchasing a new laptop, and want something that will suit
> 3d games. Has anyone got a recommended model, or suggestions on what to
> look out for (eg., PCI Express Radeon X600 vs 9600 mobile etc etc).
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

Off the top of my head, Dell Inspiron 9300 (in NZ & Aus).

Daniel

Daniel wrote:
> mark wrote:
>
>> I'm looking at purchasing a new laptop, and want something that will
>> suit 3d games. Has anyone got a recommended model, or suggestions on
>> what to look out for (eg., PCI Express Radeon X600 vs 9600 mobile etc
>> etc).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark

> Off the top of my head, Dell Inspiron 9300 (in NZ & Aus).

Current "special" for $4,698 NZD (incl.GST + delivery):
E-Value Code: M510528
Main specs:
* 2GHz Pentium 760
* 1GB 533MHz DDR2 RAM
* 256MB GeForce Go 6800 Graphics
* 100GB HDD
* 17" Wide-screen UXGA LCD (1920x1200)
* 8x DVD+/-RW
* 802.11g Wireless

(note: there's no case with this baby, so that will add another $30-50)

However, I'm not sure if the Go6800 uses DDR3 memory (from what I
understand the DDR3 Go6800 is the quickest mobile gfx on the market),
specs only say DDR - but, it would still be pretty quick though.

CSE

On Fri, 13 May 2005 09:30:46 +1200, Daniel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>mark wrote:
>> I'm looking at purchasing a new laptop, and want something that will suit
>> 3d games. Has anyone got a recommended model, or suggestions on what to
>> look out for (eg., PCI Express Radeon X600 vs 9600 mobile etc etc).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark

>Off the top of my head, Dell Inspiron 9300 (in NZ & Aus).

Tomshardware and a few other sites have done decent review on Game version
Laptops.

Some sites have Tab's, some you have to do a search.

http://www.tomshardware.com/index.html

http://www.digit-life.com/

http://www.xbitlabs.com/

http://www.anandtech.com/

Here is one this is very interesting

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mob...r-ferrari.html

mark

Daniel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:d60jhg$rok$1
@lust.ihug.co.nz:

> Daniel wrote:
>> mark wrote:
>>
>>> I'm looking at purchasing a new laptop, and want something that will
>>> suit 3d games. Has anyone got a recommended model, or suggestions on
>>> what to look out for (eg., PCI Express Radeon X600 vs 9600 mobile
>>> etc

> Off the top of my head, Dell Inspiron 9300 (in NZ & Aus).
> Current "special" for $4,698 NZD (incl.GST + delivery):

Currently it is $3,698

> E-Value Code: M510528
> Main specs:
> * 2GHz Pentium 760

Do you know how this would (roughly) compare to a desktop Pentium 2.66
processor from a few years ago? (ie., I don't have it here and can't
confirm the model

> * 1GB 533MHz DDR2 RAM
> * 256MB GeForce Go 6800 Graphics
> * 100GB HDD
> * 17" Wide-screen UXGA LCD (1920x1200)
> * 8x DVD+/-RW
> * 802.11g Wireless
>
> (note: there's no case with this baby, so that will add another $30-

50)

> However, I'm not sure if the Go6800 uses DDR3 memory (from what I
> understand the DDR3 Go6800 is the quickest mobile gfx on the market),

Do you know how the Go6800 compares to the X600's?

> specs only say DDR - but, it would still be pretty quick though.

Thanks. I may check this out further once they have finished their web
site maintenance. I'd like to choose customise, see if I can choose
something with a slightly smaller form factor but similar features, and
check the hard disk speed - in some cases a smaller drive is better
since the rpm's are a lot higher (eg., 5400 vs 7200).

Cheers,
Mark

Daniel

mark wrote:

>>Off the top of my head, Dell Inspiron 9300 (in NZ & Aus).
>>Current "special" for $4,698 NZD (incl.GST + delivery):

> Currently it is $3,698

Excellent, even better

>>E-Value Code: M510528
>>Main specs:
>>* 2GHz Pentium 760

> Do you know how this would (roughly) compare to a desktop Pentium 2.66
> processor from a few years ago? (ie., I don't have it here and can't
> confirm the model

In a nutshell it's faster. Particularly for games since the CPU core is
the more efficient Dothan - more like an Athlon core, than a P4.

>>However, I'm not sure if the Go6800 uses DDR3 memory (from what I
>>understand the DDR3 Go6800 is the quickest mobile gfx on the market),

> Do you know how the Go6800 compares to the X600's?

Well, this is the tricky part. Apparently, there are 3 versions of the
Go6800 and 3 versions of the X600 - I refer to the mobility versions.
The top-of-the-line Go6800 will smoke anything on the market at the
moment, but, the bottom-of-the-line model is about half the speed of that.
Unfortunately, specific details (core & memory speed, size of memory
interface, dedicated or shared memory, number of pipelines) for
individual implementations of the mobility chipsets isn't made very
visible - unlike the desktop counterparts (however, desktop gfx cards
are sold as separate components, so it's in the interests of the gfx
manufacturers - to some degree - to actually publish more specific
details to differentiate from the competition).

I found this for the Go 6800 specs:
http://www.thechannelinsider.com/art...1768945,00.asp

However, I think if you wanted an ATI gfx solution, then perhaps a
Mobility 9700 would be a better performer than an X600.

Sorry, dude, I suppose you'll just need to google for more specific info.