Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Oh dear Bruce

Oh dear Bruce

-=[Waylon Smithers]=-

Not the most ideal publicity.

NZ Herald Tuesday
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?...ectID=10124648

Internet commentator and jet-engine builder Bruce Simpson is under
investigation for allegedly failing to deliver CDs sold on his website.

The Commerce Commission is processing two complaints against Simpson -
who made headlines a few years ago by building a cruise missile in his
shed - and has forwarded one for investigation to the Auckland police
fraud squad.

"In order to sort things out, I've organised for the disks to be shipped
from the USA now, rather than from NZ ... I'm assured that everything
will be sorted within the next week or so and that all outstanding
orders have been shipped or reshipped."

That explanation repeats what Simpson wrote in an April 7 posting on one
of his website's message boards.

"Having now been give advice on how to ship them so that they all
arrive, I'm sending out a fistful of CDs on Monday [April 11] to replace
those that have gone astray ... 7-10 day delivery times have been promised."

Alan Needham, in Lincolnshire, England, says he ordered his CD nine
months ago and, despite what Simpson says, has "just about given up
hope" of receiving it.

JedMeister

"-=[Waylon Smithers]=-" <lifestyles_choice@springfield_nuclear_plant.com >
wrote in message news:d5olm4$v7d$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Not the most ideal publicity.
>
> NZ Herald Tuesday
> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?...ectID=10124648
>
> Internet commentator and jet-engine builder Bruce Simpson is under
> investigation for allegedly failing to deliver CDs sold on his website.
>
> The Commerce Commission is processing two complaints against Simpson - who
> made headlines a few years ago by building a cruise missile in his shed -
> and has forwarded one for investigation to the Auckland police fraud
> squad.
>
> "In order to sort things out, I've organised for the disks to be shipped
> from the USA now, rather than from NZ ... I'm assured that everything will
> be sorted within the next week or so and that all outstanding orders have
> been shipped or reshipped."
>
> That explanation repeats what Simpson wrote in an April 7 posting on one
> of his website's message boards.
>
> "Having now been give advice on how to ship them so that they all arrive,
> I'm sending out a fistful of CDs on Monday [April 11] to replace those
> that have gone astray ... 7-10 day delivery times have been promised."
>
> Alan Needham, in Lincolnshire, England, says he ordered his CD nine months
> ago and, despite what Simpson says, has "just about given up hope" of
> receiving it.

Yeah, but, they did not give Bruce a chance to comment before printing this
blatantly one sided article. Seems very unfair to me and in fact, the NZ
Herald should now be obliged to print the other side of the story. .

If you read todays aardvark column it shows that in cases of delivery
difficulties these people had the option of downloading the info. After
all, it is the information they are buying, not the disk.

-=[Waylon Smithers]=-

> Yeah, but, they did not give Bruce a chance to comment before printing this
> blatantly one sided article. Seems very unfair to me and in fact, the NZ
> Herald should now be obliged to print the other side of the story. .
>
> If you read todays aardvark column it shows that in cases of delivery
> difficulties these people had the option of downloading the info. After
> all, it is the information they are buying, not the disk.

I've kinda gone off Bruce's commentary lately - there's always something
to complain about and a suggestion about a better way of doing things.

There's always going to be 2 sides to every story - for sure ! - but I
always wonder if people would act in the same way if the shoe was on the
other foot. Take his US manufactured glasses for example. Should anyone
who provides a product of choice to a paying customer really get annoyed
at the customer's choice ?

As Bruce says today :

"James Dowcra is quoted by the NZ Herald as saying that he'd "just like
to get the CD" -- well hell James, I'd just like to get you a copy but
the NZ Herald's somewhat one-sided story will likely make that even more
difficult.

Quite frankly, I don't need these hassles right now so I'm no longer
going to be making the disks available - although I will make sure that
anyone who has requested one but not yet received it will indeed be
sorted. "

Steve Marshall

In early 2000, Bruce Simpson's site, Aardvark, put on a competition. A
prize (an Intellimouse Explorer) had been offered by the sponsor,
Microsoft NZ. I won the competition, but didn't receive the prize.
When I contacted Bruce, he did all he could to get Microsoft to cough
up, including vistiing Microsoft. Microsoft still didn't supply the
promised item, so Bruce stumped up for the prize himself.

That's the kind of guy Bruce is. That's the kind of company Microsoft
is.

ka kite
Steve

Brett Roberts

"Steve Marshall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In early 2000, Bruce Simpson's site, Aardvark, put on a competition. A
> prize (an Intellimouse Explorer) had been offered by the sponsor,
> Microsoft NZ. I won the competition, but didn't receive the prize.
> When I contacted Bruce, he did all he could to get Microsoft to cough
> up, including vistiing Microsoft. Microsoft still didn't supply the
> promised item, so Bruce stumped up for the prize himself.
>
> That's the kind of guy Bruce is. That's the kind of company Microsoft
> is.
>
> ka kite
> Steve

FWIW, I have had a number of dealings with Bruce over the 7.5 years I've
been with MSNZ and he has never mentioned this incident to me. All it would
have taken was an email or phone call and I could have fixed it within a few
days. Apologies for the screwup.

Brett Roberts
Microsoft NZ

Craig Sutton

"JedMeister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news%Sfe.319$(E-Mail Removed)...

> If you read todays aardvark column it shows that in cases of delivery
> difficulties these people had the option of downloading the info. After
> all, it is the information they are buying, not the disk.

The question must be asked why these info cd's are going missing?????

Men in Black again?

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Brett Roberts wrote:
> "Steve Marshall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>In early 2000, Bruce Simpson's site, Aardvark, put on a competition. A
>>prize (an Intellimouse Explorer) had been offered by the sponsor,
>>Microsoft NZ. I won the competition, but didn't receive the prize.
>>When I contacted Bruce, he did all he could to get Microsoft to cough
>>up, including vistiing Microsoft. Microsoft still didn't supply the
>>promised item, so Bruce stumped up for the prize himself.
>>
>>That's the kind of guy Bruce is. That's the kind of company Microsoft
>>is.
>>
>>ka kite
>>Steve

> FWIW, I have had a number of dealings with Bruce over the 7.5 years I've
> been with MSNZ and he has never mentioned this incident to me. All it would
> have taken was an email or phone call and I could have fixed it within a few
> days. Apologies for the screwup.

</damage control mode>

So can you make this up to Bruce? It seems he may need some help to fix
a relatively trivial matter. Just thought I'd ask since MS seems more
than happy to help with some other trivial matters (software patents)...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

Steve Marshall

"Brett Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>FWIW, I have had a number of dealings with Bruce over the 7.5 years I've
>been with MSNZ and he has never mentioned this incident to me. All it would
>have taken was an email or phone call and I could have fixed it within a few
>days. Apologies for the screwup.
>
>Brett Roberts
>Microsoft NZ

Hi Brett,

Thanks for your offered apology. Maybe you and Bruce will have an
opportunity sometime to figure out what happened. In case you and he
do want to do that, here's what happened, from my point of view:

On 19/01/2000 my vote was drawn at random from those submitted in the
1999 Aardvark Awards, and I won the mouse. Bruce told me then that
he'd forwarded my details to Microsoft and that it would contact me to
organise the delivery of my prize. I was to contact Bruce if anything
went wrong.

I emailed Bruce a few times to say nothing was happening, and on 27
February Bruce said he'd drop in to Microsoft to sort the problem out.
For some months after that, there was a problem in communicating with
Bruce because I was emailing him at editor(a)7am.com and the domain
had been sold. When I finally caught up with Bruce, in late August, he
informed me that he'd given up -- and he paid for the prize out of his
own pocket.

I still have the email correspondence, which is why I
can be sure of the sequence of events, and the timing.

Obviously, what Bruce has or hasn't said to Microsoft is now "in
dispute".

But this is not the only dealing I've had with Microsoft that has left
a negative impression:

1. I remember dutifully sending off a product questionnaire sheet,
simply because there was a free mousepad on offer. When no mousepad
appeared I contacted Microsoft -- to be told that the offer didn't
apply in NZ, even though the questionnaire made no mention of the
exclusion. I'm certain because I checked an un-sent copy.

2. I bought some software from Microsoft's short-lived online shop
because the price was ludicrously low. A day or two later, I was
tersely informed that there had been a mistake in the price and that
the sale wouldn't be going ahead. Yet I'd gone though a series of
online forms and I felt that Microsoft's offer to treat had well and
truly been accepted by me and confirmed by Microsoft.

I may just be whinging, but it's precisely that history of being
mistreated that led me to believe Bruce when he said that he'd done
his best to get the prize to me.

As I've said, if you'd like to follow this up with Bruce and get to
the bottom of it, then that's just great. He's the one who may be out
of pocket.

And I accept that I'm relying almost entirely on Bruce's version of
events. I'm glad that neither Helen Clark nor the judicial system are
involved in this potential defamation case!

ka kite
Steve

E. Scrooge

> [...]

> because the price was ludicrously low. A day or two later, I was
> tersely informed that there had been a mistake in the price and that
> the sale wouldn't be going ahead. Yet I'd gone though a series of
> online forms and I felt that Microsoft's offer to treat had well and
> truly been accepted by me and confirmed by Microsoft.
>
> I may just be whinging, but it's precisely that history of being
> mistreated that led me to believe Bruce when he said that he'd done
> his best to get the prize to me.
>
> As I've said, if you'd like to follow this up with Bruce and get to
> the bottom of it, then that's just great. He's the one who may be out
> of pocket.
>
> And I accept that I'm relying almost entirely on Bruce's version of
> events. I'm glad that neither Helen Clark nor the judicial system are
> involved in this potential defamation case!

Bruce is quite a personality. He's also got himself and his family in the
**** in more ways than one. His dreams and EGO have damn near cost him
everything. Bruce ****ed up his taxes for a start. Ended up going from
owning a large property to renting all because he's a **** poor business
manager.
Many people have heard the story how the government pulled a multi million
dollar business right from under Bruce's feet. A business that was nothing
more than a hope and a dream, but also and more important of all a business
that was going to be run by a guy who has no idea of how to run a business
and how to keep his head above water.
Even his exciting idea of a Pulse Jet drag car will most likely be another
disaster because it's not being built by qualfied to engineers, it will also
need an experienced driver to keep the thing pointed straight at the high
speeds that it might be capable of doing. About 200 mph at the end of the
quarter mile and still accelerating should be a realistic expectation of it.
But Bruce is building and driving it all by himself - very scary considering
that Bruce has no experience of Drag racing apart from watching it now and
then.

The last tragedy Bruce had was when his rented house was burgled. Who does
he blame apart from the burglar for **** poor security? His landlord of
course. Any fool can fit window locks from the Warehouse if they really
want to, same with some kind of security system.

As for you being owed a mouse - **** these things must've gone up in price
if you think Microsoft wouldn't honour giving a ****ing mouse away that they
had agreed to do through Bruce's competition?
Microsoft (NZ) has a good long giving products away through proper well
organised and well published promotions, and not once has there been a
problem at Microsoft.

Despite some of the anti Microsoft bullshit around here, Brett and Nathan
have offered plenty of help to those that want it, and it's not because they
were even asked to do so.

You haven't seen Bruce in the newsgroups for many months now. His EGO can't
stand rejection from the few that happen to speak against him. When he was
in the newsgroups it was only to drum support for his website which he kept
promoting when he could, and his own controlled forum.

Either Bruce originally lost your prize, gave it away to someone else, or
ended up using for himself - you were most likely meant to have forgotten
all about it after enough excuses from Bruce over the cheap mouse.

As likeable as Bruce is, he's also unreliable and has no good
business/finances sense what so ever. Go back and look at all of Bruce's
life changing events caused by **** up after **** up mainly when it came to
his business and household finances.
Your lack of a mouse was just another little **** up. Any other Net
outfit... Net Guide or PC World that didn't deliver promised prizes, Bruce
would've dragged them over the coals for it. He's quick to criticise
everyone but himself, even including his own landlord.

Microsoft NZ has given away thousands of dollars of products. That fact
speaks for itself. Giving Bruce a few free goodies with the understanding
they were going to be free prizes wouldn't have been a problem.

E. Scrooge

Steve Marshall

"E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote:
Scrooge wrote:
>Brett and Nathan
>have offered plenty of help to those that want it, and it's not because they
>were even asked to do so.

I'm sure you're right. Brett has already listened and put the matter
right as far as I'm concerned.

cheers
Steve