Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > nz newsfeeds?

nz newsfeeds?

cowboyz

I just got Opera and think it is the best thing since sliced bread.
Loving it.

In the newsfeed section it has BBC CNET Salon and Wired which is great but
I was wondering if there is a nz specific newsfeed I could plug in there
and get the nz news?

Thor

cowboyz wrote:

> I just got Opera and think it is the best thing since sliced bread.
> Loving it.
>
> In the newsfeed section it has BBC CNET Salon and Wired which is great but
> I was wondering if there is a nz specific newsfeed I could plug in there
> and get the nz news?

I take it you mean rss feeds, I haven't found any
but there is always news.google.co.nz granted not an rss feed but useful for
all that and there is www.nzcity.co.nz as well. The only rss feed for New
Zealand I have found is earthquake news

--
*~~~~~~~~Thor

Peter

cowboyz wrote:
> I just got Opera and think it is the best thing since sliced bread.
> Loving it.
>
> In the newsfeed section it has BBC CNET Salon and Wired which is great but
> I was wondering if there is a nz specific newsfeed I could plug in there
> and get the nz news?

rss is cool - I'm using it in Forefox.

There are a few links at the bottom of this page ...
http://www.newslookup.com/rss.html

or
http://news.portal.govt.nz/

The overseas news orgs seem to be using rss more than NZ.
(Because we lack the broadband connections that most developed countries
have?)

Peter

cowboyz

On Mon, 09 May 2005 20:25:23 +1200, Thor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> cowboyz wrote:
>
>> I just got Opera and think it is the best thing since sliced bread.
>> Loving it.
>>
>> In the newsfeed section it has BBC CNET Salon and Wired which is great
>> but
>> I was wondering if there is a nz specific newsfeed I could plug in there
>> and get the nz news?
>>

> I take it you mean rss feeds, I haven't found any
> but there is always news.google.co.nz granted not an rss feed but useful
> for
> all that and there is www.nzcity.co.nz as well. The only rss feed for New
> Zealand I have found is earthquake news

Yes. For a quick news update I use nz city. Hearld for a more in depth
look. Oh well. it would have been nice to have it in my news client.

Ralph Fox

On Mon, 09 May 2005 12:43:41 +1200, in message
<op.sqhga3xplk46je@xp2100>, cowboyz wrote:

> I just got Opera and think it is the best thing since sliced bread.
> Loving it.
>
> In the newsfeed section it has BBC CNET Salon and Wired which is great but
> I was wondering if there is a nz specific newsfeed I could plug in there
> and get the nz news?

Some other NZ links ...

See http://idg.net.nz/idgnet.nsf/unid/E3...C?OpenDocument

| IDG NZ RSS FEEDS:
|
| • PC World
| • Computerworld News
| • Unlimited

See http://www.aardvark.co.nz/xml.shtml

Jamie Kahn Genet

cowboyz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Mon, 09 May 2005 20:25:23 +1200, Thor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[snip]
> > I take it you mean rss feeds, I haven't found any
> > but there is always news.google.co.nz granted not an rss feed but useful
> > for
> > all that and there is www.nzcity.co.nz as well. The only rss feed for New
> > Zealand I have found is earthquake news

> Yes. For a quick news update I use nz city. Hearld for a more in depth
> look. Oh well. it would have been nice to have it in my news client.

This _is_ your news client. But you mean RSS.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Shane

On Mon, 09 May 2005 20:25:23 +1200, Thor wrote:

> cowboyz wrote:
>
>> I just got Opera and think it is the best thing since sliced bread.
>> Loving it.
>>
>> In the newsfeed section it has BBC CNET Salon and Wired which is great but
>> I was wondering if there is a nz specific newsfeed I could plug in there
>> and get the nz news?
>>

> I take it you mean rss feeds, I haven't found any
> but there is always news.google.co.nz granted not an rss feed but useful for
> all that and there is www.nzcity.co.nz as well. The only rss feed for New
> Zealand I have found is earthquake news

slashdot has an rss feed
bbc (as mentioned)
theregister.co.uk
cnn.com

theres a heap, but I stick to BBC now (I had 7 or 8 running at one time
and I confuzzled the **** out of myself, new toy and all that)
in fact i put the search string "inurl:/services/rss" into google and got
725 hits
HTH

Shane

On Tue, 10 May 2005 16:23:45 +1200, Shane wrote:

> On Mon, 09 May 2005 20:25:23 +1200, Thor wrote:
>
>> cowboyz wrote:
>>
>>> I just got Opera and think it is the best thing since sliced bread.
>>> Loving it.
>>>
>>> In the newsfeed section it has BBC CNET Salon and Wired which is great but
>>> I was wondering if there is a nz specific newsfeed I could plug in there
>>> and get the nz news?
>>>

>> I take it you mean rss feeds, I haven't found any
>> but there is always news.google.co.nz granted not an rss feed but useful for
>> all that and there is www.nzcity.co.nz as well. The only rss feed for New
>> Zealand I have found is earthquake news

> slashdot has an rss feed
> bbc (as mentioned)
> theregister.co.uk
> cnn.com

also.. look for the xml logo, that usually means a newsfeed, for example
I just discovered groklaw has one
http://www.groklaw.net/backend/GrokLaw.rdf

I know none of these are nz specific, but you get the idea of what to look
for

cowboyz

On Tue, 10 May 2005 16:09:08 +1200, Jamie Kahn Genet
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> cowboyz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 09 May 2005 20:25:23 +1200, Thor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [snip]
>> > I take it you mean rss feeds, I haven't found any
>> > but there is always news.google.co.nz granted not an rss feed but

>> useful
>> > for
>> > all that and there is www.nzcity.co.nz as well. The only rss feed for

>> New
>> > Zealand I have found is earthquake news

>> Yes. For a quick news update I use nz city. Hearld for a more in depth
>> look. Oh well. it would have been nice to have it in my news client.

> This _is_ your news client. But you mean RSS.
>
> Regards,
> Jamie Kahn Genet

This _is_ my web browser.

It would have (and is now possible when I decide which ones I actually
want to subscribe to) have the nz news in my news client.

cowboyz

On Tue, 10 May 2005 00:33:19 +1200, Ralph Fox
<(E-Mail Removed)-echo.invalid> wrote:

> On Mon, 09 May 2005 12:43:41 +1200, in message
> <op.sqhga3xplk46je@xp2100>, cowboyz wrote:
>
>> I just got Opera and think it is the best thing since sliced bread.
>> Loving it.
>>
>> In the newsfeed section it has BBC CNET Salon and Wired which is great
>> but
>> I was wondering if there is a nz specific newsfeed I could plug in there
>> and get the nz news?

> Some other NZ links ...
>
> See
> http://idg.net.nz/idgnet.nsf/unid/E3...C?OpenDocument