Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > antoFUD Why "we" chase infringers of the GPL

antoFUD Why "we" chase infringers of the GPL

thing

There seems to be some repeated critisism of OSS harassing companies who
violate the GPL terms. I just found this legal point,

"........Those of you who have been here with Groklaw a while will
remember that in our first article about Judge Kimball years ago, we
noted that he ruled against a copyright holder, represented by Brent
Hatch, for waiting too long to assert a copyright. Having failed to
exercise reasonable diligence, IBM says, SCO can't now excuse its delay
in bringing the claim........."

(last 2 paras or so), are interesting,

http://www.mormonstoday.com/010119/A2DHughes01.shtml

So if you dont up hold your copyrights within a reasonable time period
of becoming aware of a problem or do not carry out reasonable diligence
to make sure an infringment has not occured, you can lose the right on
the copyright......So if OSS allows an infringer to continue without
challenge the entire code base could end up public domain.....wouldnt MS
etc just love that one.

regards

Thing