Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > How Hollywood would like the world to be....

How Hollywood would like the world to be....

thing

".....The rules set out to ban the use of Open Source/Free Software in
digital television applications, and to require hardware components to
be designed to be hard or impossible to create open drivers for. Fox
exec Andy Setos told me that we were there to create "a polite
marketplace" where no one would be allowed to disrupt his business model
without getting his permission and cooperation first (cough planned
economy cough commies cough)........"

;]

".......gigantic upswelling of public outcry over this naked attempt to
bootstrap the studios' limited monopoly over copying movies into an
unlimited monopoly over the design of every device that might be used to
copy a movie. . . ."

So you are all thieves and Open source users are thieves and commies.....

BrianM

On Sat, 07 May 2005 07:21:26 +1200, thing wrote:

> ".....The rules set out to ban the use of Open Source/Free Software in
> digital television applications, and to require hardware components to
> be designed to be hard or impossible to create open drivers for. Fox
> exec Andy Setos told me that we were there to create "a polite
> marketplace" where no one would be allowed to disrupt his business model
> without getting his permission and cooperation first (cough planned
> economy cough commies cough)........"
>
> ;]
>
> ".......gigantic upswelling of public outcry over this naked attempt to
> bootstrap the studios' limited monopoly over copying movies into an
> unlimited monopoly over the design of every device that might be used to
> copy a movie. . . ."
>
> So you are all thieves and Open source users are thieves and
> commies.....
>
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...05050613105074

Yup, sounds like us thing.
Capitalist software thieving mongrels and their running open software
dogs.

BrianM
Peoples Republic of Christchurch

Peter

thing wrote:
> Fox exec Andy Setos told me that we were there to create "a polite
> marketplace" where no one would be allowed to disrupt his business model
> without getting his permission and cooperation first (cough planned
> economy cough commies cough)........"

You're quite right - there are a lot of similarities between the central
control of the old fashioned communists and the central control that the
modern corporates (entertainment / media / software) are seeking to create.
That is, central control by the establishment, with institutional barriers
to prevent any upstart innovators or entrepreneurs, and to "control" the
population (for their own good, of course).

Peter

Matthew Poole

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>thing wrote:

*SNIP*
>You're quite right - there are a lot of similarities between the central
>control of the old fashioned communists and the central control that the
>modern corporates (entertainment / media / software) are seeking to create.
>That is, central control by the establishment, with institutional barriers
>to prevent any upstart innovators or entrepreneurs, and to "control" the
>population (for their own good, of course).

But, of course, the media industry are good capitalists, fighting
against the communist scum who would seek to have content and software
succeed solely on merit. Heathens who wish to remove any and every
barrier to entry for competing in the global marketplace, and destroy
the hard-earned monopolistic positions of the corporate giants.

--
Matthew Poole
"Veni, vidi, velcro...

My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

Bruce Sinclair

In article <d5jhk7$vm3$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) (Matthew Poole) wrote:
>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>thing wrote:

>*SNIP*
>>You're quite right - there are a lot of similarities between the central
>>control of the old fashioned communists and the central control that the
>>modern corporates (entertainment / media / software) are seeking to create.
>>That is, central control by the establishment, with institutional barriers
>>to prevent any upstart innovators or entrepreneurs, and to "control" the
>>population (for their own good, of course).
>>

>But, of course, the media industry are good capitalists, fighting
>against the communist scum who would seek to have content and software
>succeed solely on merit. Heathens who wish to remove any and every
>barrier to entry for competing in the global marketplace, and destroy
>the hard-earned monopolistic positions of the corporate giants.

I'll translate ...

"if you try to stop me making pots of money, I'll smack your head in !".

Bruce

-------------------------------------
- George Bernard Shaw
- Ambrose Bierce

(if there were any)

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thing <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>> In article <d5jhk7$vm3$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) (Matthew Poole)

> wrote:
>>>
>>>*SNIP*
>>>But, of course, the media industry are good capitalists, fighting
>>>against the communist scum who would seek to have content and software
>>>succeed solely on merit. Heathens who wish to remove any and every
>>>barrier to entry for competing in the global marketplace, and destroy
>>>the hard-earned monopolistic positions of the corporate giants.

>> I'll translate ...
>>
>> "if you try to stop me making pots of money, I'll smack your head in !".

>ah......something the US is very good at, producing Al Capones.

... tho they are a lot better at hiding the threats these days

Bruce

-------------------------------------
- George Bernard Shaw
- Ambrose Bierce

(if there were any)

thing

Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> In article <d5jhk7$vm3$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) (Matthew Poole) wrote:
>
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>>thing wrote:

>>*SNIP*
>>
>>>You're quite right - there are a lot of similarities between the central
>>>control of the old fashioned communists and the central control that the
>>>modern corporates (entertainment / media / software) are seeking to create.
>>>That is, central control by the establishment, with institutional barriers
>>>to prevent any upstart innovators or entrepreneurs, and to "control" the
>>>population (for their own good, of course).
>>>

>>But, of course, the media industry are good capitalists, fighting
>>against the communist scum who would seek to have content and software
>>succeed solely on merit. Heathens who wish to remove any and every
>>barrier to entry for competing in the global marketplace, and destroy
>>the hard-earned monopolistic positions of the corporate giants.

> I'll translate ...
>
> "if you try to stop me making pots of money, I'll smack your head in !".
>

> Bruce

ah......something the US is very good at, producing Al Capones.

regards

Thing