Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > GF 6600GT AGP

GF 6600GT AGP

CSE

On Fri, 06 May 2005 23:44:23 +1200, steve <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

What model did you get, I found your post but no mention of the Model..

Thanks

Nova

CSE wrote:
> On Fri, 06 May 2005 19:58:39 +1200, Nova <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>CSE wrote:
>>

>>>Some one or some others have mention getting one of these 3D cards
>>>

>>>I am interested in getting one and I have been reading a Forum with nothing
>>>but complaints of the 6600GT AGP versions
>>>

>>>Forum is
>>>

>>>http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s...7&showforum=26
>>>

>>>The Moderator recons not to buy any GF 6600GT and go for the Basic GF 6800
>>>

>>>One of the Big problems seem to be Heat or MoBo chipsets compatibility.
>>>

>>>One of the Heat problems is the HSI bridge sink is not been cooled and the
>>>heat getting into the main core.
>>>
>>>One review of the Asus quoted some 93c due to this problem..
>>>
>>>http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/video/asus-3.html
>>>

>>>"Just look at this horror! The core temperature exceeds 90 degrees! That's the
>>>fault of the HSI bridge, which overheats the PCB and channels the heat to the
>>>core as well. The card is quite stable though. But you should keep in mind
>>>that additional fans must be installed in PC cases with such cards! "
>>>

>>>Thanks
>>>

>>tomshardware did a big review of all the different brands, sparkle came
>>out near the top who basically followed the nvidia reference design.
>>
>>Asus overclocked theirs to start with so it runs faster but also hotter.
>>
>>having read that, i bought a sparkle and had nightmares to start with,
>>it idled at 70 degrees and was up past 120 degrees celcius during
>>games.. the supplier claimed there was nothing wrong with it - yeah
>>right.. sparkle replied to my email and said there is no way it should
>>be that hot and said to return it to the shop so back it went.. this
>>time the supplier replaced it, and what do you know, this time the card
>>idled in the low 50's and during intensive 3d games gets into the mid
>>70's so im very happy with the card and works perfectly now, no
>>overheating or any problems whatsoever. I read that a few just had
>>problems with the heatsink not properly seated, maybe i was just unlucky
>>with my first card but would definitely recommend it now.

> I just did a search on Google for a review of the Sparkle, only found one, it
> did say that you had to patch the bios to enable Temp Monitoring.

OK I got my hardware review sites mixed up
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2295

Thats a roundup of 11 6600 GT cards

CSE

On Sat, 07 May 2005 20:39:46 +1200, Nova <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>CSE wrote:

>>>tomshardware did a big review of all the different brands, sparkle came
>>>out near the top who basically followed the nvidia reference design.
>>>
>>>Asus overclocked theirs to start with so it runs faster but also hotter.
>>>
>>>having read that, i bought a sparkle and had nightmares to start with,
>>>it idled at 70 degrees and was up past 120 degrees celcius during
>>>games.. the supplier claimed there was nothing wrong with it - yeah
>>>right.. sparkle replied to my email and said there is no way it should
>>>be that hot and said to return it to the shop so back it went.. this
>>>time the supplier replaced it, and what do you know, this time the card
>>>idled in the low 50's and during intensive 3d games gets into the mid
>>>70's so im very happy with the card and works perfectly now, no
>>>overheating or any problems whatsoever. I read that a few just had
>>>problems with the heatsink not properly seated, maybe i was just unlucky
>>>with my first card but would definitely recommend it now.

>> I just did a search on Google for a review of the Sparkle, only found one, it
>> did say that you had to patch the bios to enable Temp Monitoring.
>>

>OK I got my hardware review sites mixed up
>http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2295
>
>Thats a roundup of 11 6600 GT cards

Yes but they are not AGP cards..

Plus the Sparke did not come into it, in the Top 3..

Nova

CSE wrote:
> On Sat, 07 May 2005 20:39:46 +1200, Nova <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>CSE wrote:

>>>I just did a search on Google for a review of the Sparkle, only found one, it
>>>did say that you had to patch the bios to enable Temp Monitoring.
>>>

>>OK I got my hardware review sites mixed up
>>http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2295
>>
>>Thats a roundup of 11 6600 GT cards

> Yes but they are not AGP cards..
>
> Plus the Sparke did not come into it, in the Top 3..

Well as nvidia have pointed out about 100 times the only difference is
between the agp and pci express is the hsi bridge, and the pci express
ones are clocked a bit higher. that is the whole reason they used the
bridge so there wasnt a difference and they didnt have to manufacture
two completely different lines like ati did.

CSE

On Sun, 08 May 2005 00:42:46 +1200, Nova <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>CSE wrote:

>>>OK I got my hardware review sites mixed up
>>>http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2295
>>>
>>>Thats a roundup of 11 6600 GT cards

>> Yes but they are not AGP cards..
>>
>> Plus the Sparke did not come into it, in the Top 3..
>>

>Well as nvidia have pointed out about 100 times the only difference is
>between the agp and pci express is the hsi bridge, and the pci express
>ones are clocked a bit higher. that is the whole reason they used the
>bridge so there wasnt a difference and they didnt have to manufacture
>two completely different lines like ati did.

The Problem is that most and if not all AGP version get far to hot due to the
limited cooling on the HSI bridge chip, you can burn your fingers on it..

Only a very few cards have it as part of the cooling fan, like the Prolink
Pixelview and the No fan Gigabyte, I think there is one other, ah the
Albatron..

That is why some get far to hot like the Asus at 93c..

gimp

CSE wrote:
> The Problem is that most and if not all AGP version get far to hot due to the
> limited cooling on the HSI bridge chip, you can burn your fingers on it..

i guess i got lucky... my gainward 6600GT AGP core temp averages around
41C idle... 52 at full load.

Nova

gimp wrote:
> CSE wrote:
>
>> The Problem is that most and if not all AGP version get far to hot
>> due to the
>> limited cooling on the HSI bridge chip, you can burn your fingers on it..

> i guess i got lucky... my gainward 6600GT AGP core temp averages around
> 41C idle... 52 at full load.

Yeah the sensor is for the gpu though, not the HSI bridge.

CSE

On Sun, 08 May 2005 21:00:45 +1200, gimp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>CSE wrote:
>> The Problem is that most and if not all AGP version get far to hot due to the
>> limited cooling on the HSI bridge chip, you can burn your fingers on it..

>i guess i got lucky... my gainward 6600GT AGP core temp averages around
>41C idle... 52 at full load.

Do you have some fans around it..?

Or a PCI slot fan etc..

Or using Walter cooling..

Case full of Fans ..??

The Problem is that the heat from HSI heat sing flows up to the main heat
sink..

So having a fan blowing on it would help allot..

CSE

On Sun, 08 May 2005 21:00:45 +1200, gimp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>CSE wrote:
>> The Problem is that most and if not all AGP version get far to hot due to the
>> limited cooling on the HSI bridge chip, you can burn your fingers on it..

>i guess i got lucky... my gainward 6600GT AGP core temp averages around
>41C idle... 52 at full load.

Only one shop listing it on Pricespy and its very very dear..?

its the dearest one listed.$563inc

And not even a Golden Sample..

I can get a 6800 AGP cheaper, and it does not suffer from the HSI heat as it
does not have one..

gimp

CSE wrote:
> Only one shop listing it on Pricespy and its very very dear..?
>
> its the dearest one listed.$563inc
>
> And not even a Golden Sample..
>
> I can get a 6800 AGP cheaper, and it does not suffer from the HSI heat as it
> does not have one..

i got mine from www.dtconline.co.nz for 500 inc GST. i don't know if
they'll still have it in stock, very popular card. slightly more than
most 6600GT's but it has VIVO.