Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > XP Conputer Refuses To Join Workgroup

XP Conputer Refuses To Join Workgroup

Ron McNulty

I have one machine (running XP Pro) that refuses to join the workgroup that
three others are currently in. It thinks it is a workgroup of the same name,
all by itself. It does not show the other machines, and the other machines
cannot see it. All machines are on fixed IP addresses.

I can ping the machine, and can access the machine's shared drives if I ask
for them by IP address. And I can access the SQLServer instance running on
it.

The machine previously belonged to a Linux-head, who possibly turned off a
vital service. Any idea which service(s) are involved in workgroup
discovery? Google search seems to return suggestions of where I can go to
learn about such wonders, but no hard data.

Regards

Ron

Mark Remfrey

Ron McNulty wrote:
> I have one machine (running XP Pro) that refuses to join the workgroup that
> three others are currently in. It thinks it is a workgroup of the same name,
> all by itself. It does not show the other machines, and the other machines
> cannot see it. All machines are on fixed IP addresses.
>
> I can ping the machine, and can access the machine's shared drives if I ask
> for them by IP address. And I can access the SQLServer instance running on
> it.
>
> The machine previously belonged to a Linux-head, who possibly turned off a
> vital service. Any idea which service(s) are involved in workgroup
> discovery? Google search seems to return suggestions of where I can go to
> learn about such wonders, but no hard data.

Might wanna check that the "Client for Microsoft Networks" service is
running in the "Local Network Connections" under "Network Connections"
(Control Panel)....

Regards,
Mark Remfrey

Ron McNulty

Thanks Mark

Yes, had checked that (plus lots of other things). Tried turning off the XP
frewall as well. Computer browser service is running too.

Regards

Ron.

"Mark Remfrey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:NHCee.4174$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ron McNulty wrote:
>> I have one machine (running XP Pro) that refuses to join the workgroup
>> that three others are currently in. It thinks it is a workgroup of the
>> same name, all by itself. It does not show the other machines, and the
>> other machines cannot see it. All machines are on fixed IP addresses.
>>
>> I can ping the machine, and can access the machine's shared drives if I
>> ask for them by IP address. And I can access the SQLServer instance
>> running on it.
>>
>> The machine previously belonged to a Linux-head, who possibly turned off
>> a vital service. Any idea which service(s) are involved in workgroup
>> discovery? Google search seems to return suggestions of where I can go to
>> learn about such wonders, but no hard data.
>>

> Might wanna check that the "Client for Microsoft Networks" service is
> running in the "Local Network Connections" under "Network Connections"
> (Control Panel)....
>
> Regards,
> Mark Remfrey

michael

Ron McNulty wrote:
> Thanks Mark
>
> Yes, had checked that (plus lots of other things). Tried turning off the XP
> frewall as well. Computer browser service is running too.
>
> Regards
>
> Ron.

I have the same problem sometimes with my laptop.
I usually find doing a search on it for one of
the other computers on the network sorts out the problem.

weird, but then over the years I've gotten use to
this kind of behaviour from MS products.

Ron McNulty

You are right - I can find one of the other machines from the "snob" , but
it is still not part of the workgroup...

Regards

Ron

"michael" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:rLEee.4198$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ron McNulty wrote:
>> Thanks Mark
>>
>> Yes, had checked that (plus lots of other things). Tried turning off the
>> XP frewall as well. Computer browser service is running too.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Ron.

> I have the same problem sometimes with my laptop.
> I usually find doing a search on it for one of
> the other computers on the network sorts out the problem.
>
> weird, but then over the years I've gotten use to
> this kind of behaviour from MS products.

Jeremy

Hi Ron,

I'm not sure if this will help, but try this,

Goto adaper properties
Goto internet protocol (tcp/ip) "properties"
click advanced
choose the wins tab on the top
then select enable netbios over tcp/ip

select ok all the way back, now the comp might be visible on the workgroup,
I had this prob here with some dell comps not showing on my network.

Good Luck

Jeremy

"Ron McNulty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4bHee.4237$(E-Mail Removed)...
> You are right - I can find one of the other machines from the "snob" , but
> it is still not part of the workgroup...
>
> Regards
>
> Ron
>
> "michael" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:rLEee.4198$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ron McNulty wrote:
>>> Thanks Mark
>>>
>>> Yes, had checked that (plus lots of other things). Tried turning off the
>>> XP frewall as well. Computer browser service is running too.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Ron.

>> I have the same problem sometimes with my laptop.
>> I usually find doing a search on it for one of
>> the other computers on the network sorts out the problem.
>>
>> weird, but then over the years I've gotten use to
>> this kind of behaviour from MS products.

Ron McNulty

Hi Jeremy

Yep been there and turned it on a couple of days ago.

The rogue machine is also a Dell. But its mate, (same specs, purchased on
the same order) is fine...

Regards

Ron

"Jeremy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d5fff0$21d$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Ron,
>
> I'm not sure if this will help, but try this,
>
> Goto adaper properties
> Goto internet protocol (tcp/ip) "properties"
> click advanced
> choose the wins tab on the top
> then select enable netbios over tcp/ip
>
> select ok all the way back, now the comp might be visible on the
> workgroup, I had this prob here with some dell comps not showing on my
> network.
>
> Good Luck
>
> Jeremy
>

> "Ron McNulty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4bHee.4237$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You are right - I can find one of the other machines from the "snob" ,
>> but it is still not part of the workgroup...
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Ron
>>
>> "michael" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:rLEee.4198$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I have the same problem sometimes with my laptop.
>>> I usually find doing a search on it for one of
>>> the other computers on the network sorts out the problem.
>>>
>>> weird, but then over the years I've gotten use to
>>> this kind of behaviour from MS products.

S Roby

Try remaning the workgroup
Try renaming the (netbios) PC names.
Make sure the logon is different to the PC name.
Ive (once) had a similar problem with Win98 & 2k PC's not seeing each other
untill I changed the names of the 98 PC's (had to make the name
longer/differnent from the logon, mcant quite remember)

Jeremy

S Roby wrote:
> Try remaning the workgroup
> Try renaming the (netbios) PC names.
> Make sure the logon is different to the PC name.
> Ive (once) had a similar problem with Win98 & 2k PC's not seeing each other
> untill I changed the names of the 98 PC's (had to make the name
> longer/differnent from the logon, mcant quite remember)

Ron,

Sothing else to try dell supply there comps with lots of norton trial
stuff, disable it all, from memory that was a problem with our dells as
well,

Good Luck

Jeremy

Me

On Sun, 08 May 2005 00:22:27 +1200, Jeremy <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

Have you checke the event log?
Whats the error msg in the log?

I dont think its xp refuses, its user doesnt know how...