Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Paradise worse server in Newzealand

Paradise worse server in Newzealand

Bling-Bling

On Sat, 07 May 2005 16:52:11 +1200, Jay wrote:

> You are inventing traits for the English language.

No - I am following what by many used to be considered as good use - and
what many in reality still practise.

> Sticking to the thread in hand..... why does 'Hard Drive' need to be
> emphasised?
> In the context that Scrooge used there was no obvious emphasis placed (or
> intended (as I read it))

In case you hadn't noticed, the PC Language Police are progressively
removing all usage of capitals in English except at the start of sentences
and for Proper Nouns.

Bling Bling

E. Scrooge

"Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LQXee.4474$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Bling-Bling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsan.2005.05.07.02.08.51.539092@TRACKER...

>>> It boils down to having a basic grasp of your own language.

>> True.
>>
>> Are you not capable of detecting the difference in importance or
>> significance between capitalised and uncapitalised words?
>>

>> Bling Bling

> You are inventing traits for the English language.
> Sticking to the thread in hand..... why does 'Hard Drive' need to be
> emphasised?
> In the context that Scrooge used there was no obvious emphasis placed (or
> intended (as I read it))
>
> Jay

No need to let it upset you so much, jay. To make you feel better I've left
a couple of caps out of this post for you, jay.
Do try to have a good weekend, jay.

e. sCROOGE

Jay

> "Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:LQXee.4474$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Bling-Bling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> newsan.2005.05.07.02.08.51.539092@TRACKER...

>>> True.
>>>
>>> Are you not capable of detecting the difference in importance or
>>> significance between capitalised and uncapitalised words?
>>>

>>> Bling Bling

>> You are inventing traits for the English language.
>> Sticking to the thread in hand..... why does 'Hard Drive' need to be
>> emphasised?
>> In the context that Scrooge used there was no obvious emphasis placed (or
>> intended (as I read it))
>>
>> Jay

> No need to let it upset you so much, jay. To make you feel better I've
> left a couple of caps out of this post for you, jay.
> Do try to have a good weekend, jay.

Who is upset?
Your comprehension skills fail you again.

Jay

> e. sCROOGE

E. Scrooge

"Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iqUee.4412$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
> >
> > "Tarla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:427bbed4$(E-Mail Removed)...

just

> >> No they aren't. You don't write, "I'm going to my House to eat some
> >> Dinner."

> > Key words in a special cases can be highlighted by being capitalised.

If
> > you lived in a white painted house then you'd say that you lived in a
> > white
> > house, quite different if you happen to be living in White House though.
> > With computer memory ram is RAM - a cd is a CD - amd is AMD.
> > Even better have a look at the words on your keyboard since you're bound
> > split hairs over things like a CD.
> > Page up is Page UP - page down is Page Down - caps lock is Caps Lock -
> > scroll... print... pause... num... etc etc.

> RAM, CD and AMD are acronyms hence the capitalisation like RAF.
> Hard (Disk) Drive is a component like your arm and leg (not Arm and Leg)
> getting the picture yet?
> HDD being an acronym is fine.
>
> Jay

And Pause Break is fine, just the same as Hard Drive is.

E. Scrooge

Stewart Fleming

E. Scrooge wrote:
> "Tarla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:427bbed4$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>No they aren't. You don't write, "I'm going to my House to eat some
>>Dinner."

> Key words in a special cases can be highlighted by being capitalised. If
> you lived in a white painted house then you'd say that you lived in a white
> house, quite different if you happen to be living in White House though.

So if Tarla had said she was going to the White House for dinner with
the President to talk about WMD and play Yahtzee!, that would be the
correct emphasis all round, eh?

Jay

> "Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:iqUee.4412$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Tarla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:427bbed4$(E-Mail Removed)...

> just

>> > Key words in a special cases can be highlighted by being capitalised.

> If
>> > you lived in a white painted house then you'd say that you lived in a
>> > white
>> > house, quite different if you happen to be living in White House
>> > though.
>> > With computer memory ram is RAM - a cd is a CD - amd is AMD.
>> > Even better have a look at the words on your keyboard since you're
>> > bound
>> > split hairs over things like a CD.
>> > Page up is Page UP - page down is Page Down - caps lock is Caps Lock -
>> > scroll... print... pause... num... etc etc.

>> RAM, CD and AMD are acronyms hence the capitalisation like RAF.
>> Hard (Disk) Drive is a component like your arm and leg (not Arm and Leg)
>> getting the picture yet?
>> HDD being an acronym is fine.
>>
>> Jay

> And Pause Break is fine, just the same as Hard Drive is.

Pause
------
Break

2 separate words. If you used your PC for anything other than dribble you
might understand what those keys are for.

Feel free to base your knowledge of the English language on what is printed
on the keyboard keys.
Excuse me if I refer to something a little more authorative.
You really should get out of that chair once in a while.

Jay

> E. Scrooge

Adam

On Sun, 8 May 2005 11:08:36 +1200, Jay wrote:

>> And Pause Break is fine, just the same as Hard Drive is.

>Pause
>------
>Break
>
>2 separate words. If you used your PC for anything other than dribble you
>might understand what those keys are for.
>
>Feel free to base your knowledge of the English language on what is printed
>on the keyboard keys.
>Excuse me if I refer to something a little more authorative.
>You really should get out of that chair once in a while.
>
>Jay

And ... while we're at it ... could we please [then] rename this
thread to "Re: Paradise - worst server in New Zealand" ??

Adam.

PAM.

> > "Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Dear oh dear Scrooge.
> > You really are a knob with no sense of humour.
> > Dear Xtra,
> > This post is to inform you that I plan to fly down to Dunedin and kill
> > E.Scrooge in the most vile manner possible.
> > Once finished I plan to burn his house to the ground and then use his
> > family for medical experiments.
> > Your loyal subscriber.
> > Jay

> You are also the biggest fool that XTRA has ever had.

Does this mean I could pop down and bump ol' E. Scrooge off and Jay would
get the blame?

Jay. I'm sending you a knife. If you could handle it for me and send it
back. Be sure you grasp the knife in a "stabbing" stylie.

PAM.

PAM.

"Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> ...and the bloody subject should be "Paradise *worst* server
> in New Zealand". At least that's what I assume that the OP
> meant.

OP? Oh Pear?

PAM.

Jay

"PAM." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:NMxfe.4990$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
>> > "Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > Dear oh dear Scrooge.
>> > You really are a knob with no sense of humour.
>> > Dear Xtra,
>> > This post is to inform you that I plan to fly down to Dunedin and kill
>> > E.Scrooge in the most vile manner possible.
>> > Once finished I plan to burn his house to the ground and then use his
>> > family for medical experiments.
>> > Your loyal subscriber.
>> > Jay

>> You are also the biggest fool that XTRA has ever had.

> Does this mean I could pop down and bump ol' E. Scrooge off and Jay would
> get the blame?
>
> Jay. I'm sending you a knife. If you could handle it for me and send it
> back. Be sure you grasp the knife in a "stabbing" stylie.

What and deny me the pleasure of doing it myself?
Yeah right!

Jay