Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > For Cowboyz - Setting up Xandros kernel sources

Reply
Thread Tools

For Cowboyz - Setting up Xandros kernel sources

 
 
steve
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-05-2005
(adjust the kernel source version number as required. Your version number
would likely be '2.4.24-x1')

Set up system:

1. Log in as administrator (root)

2. Select Launch | Applications | System | Console

3. Type "cd /usr/src" (without the quotes) and press Enter

4. Type "tar jxf xandros-kernel-source-2.6.9.tar.bz2" (without the quotes)
and press Enter

5. Type "ln -sf xandros-kernel-source-2.6.9 linux" (without the quotes) and
press Enter

6. Type "cd /usr/src/linux" (without the quotes) and press Enter

7. Type "cp /boot/config-2.6.9-x1 .config" (without the quotes) and press
Enter

8. Type "make EXTRAVERSION=-x1 oldconfig" (without the quotes) and press
Enter

9. Type "make EXTRAVERSION=-x1 prepare-all" (without the quotes) and press
Enter

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
steve
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-05-2005
steve wrote:

> (adjust the kernel source version number as required. Your version number
> would likely be '2.4.24-x1')


> 4. Type "tar jxf xandros-kernel-source-2.6.9.tar.bz2" (without the quotes)
> and press Enter
>
> 5. Type "ln -sf xandros-kernel-source-2.6.9 linux" (without the quotes)
> and press Enter


Note that where the file name doesn't have the 'x1'...don't feel you need to
add it. It will be OK as above.....with your version number instead
(2.4.24)


This whole procedure adjusts the version stuff the compile uses so that any
drivers you compile will be for your version.....2.4.24....

There is more to it than that.....but that is the effect.

It works....which is how I'm able to use the wireless card in this very
PC....




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
cowboyz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-05-2005
steve wrote:

> (adjust the kernel source version number as required. Your version number
> would likely be '2.4.24-x1')
>
> Set up system:
>
> 1. Log in as administrator (root)
>
> 2. Select Launch | Applications | System | Console
>
> 3. Type "cd /usr/src" (without the quotes) and press Enter
>
> 4. Type "tar jxf xandros-kernel-source-2.6.9.tar.bz2" (without the quotes)
> and press Enter
>
> 5. Type "ln -sf xandros-kernel-source-2.6.9 linux" (without the quotes)
> and press Enter
>
> 6. Type "cd /usr/src/linux" (without the quotes) and press Enter
>
> 7. Type "cp /boot/config-2.6.9-x1 .config" (without the quotes) and press
> Enter
>
> 8. Type "make EXTRAVERSION=-x1 oldconfig" (without the quotes) and press
> Enter
>


all went well till here.


> 9. Type "make EXTRAVERSION=-x1 prepare-all" (without the quotes) and press
> Enter



this gives an error..

make: *** No rule to make target `prepare-all'. Stop.



I don't know if you saw my other post but I have already done some commands
that looks like what you have here but a couple of lines different.

Log in as Administrator (root).
In Xandros Networks, install the kernel source package, which could be
2.4.22 or 2.4.24. In Expert View, look under New Applications > base to
find the kernel source package. For the following instructions, .24 is
used.
Click Launch > Applications > System > Console to open a console window.
Type cd /usr/src in the console window and press Enter.
Type tar jxf xandros-kernel-source-2.4.24.tar.bz2 and press Enter.
Type ln -sf xandros-kernel-source-2.4.24 linux and press Enter.
Type cd linux and press Enter.
Type make EXTRAVERSION=-x1 mrproper and press Enter.
Type cp /boot/config-2.4.24-x1 .config and press Enter.
Type make EXTRAVERSION=-x1 oldconfig and press Enter.
Type make EXTRAVERSION=-x1 dep and press Enter.
Type cd /usr/src and press Enter.


Even still it complains about being version 19 instead of 24 when I compile
the new object


 
Reply With Quote
 
steve
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-05-2005
cowboyz wrote:

> Even still it complains about being version 19 instead of 24 when I
> compile the new object


OK...then I'm lost. It's always worked for me on all my various systems
here.

But then I have not tried to compile the source you're compiling. I could
have a go.....but I'm on kernel 2.6.9 (Xandros 3.0)

You best ask in the Xandros user forums. Xandros tech staff hang out in
there and they are very helpful.


 
Reply With Quote
 
cowboyz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-05-2005
steve wrote:

> steve wrote:
>
>> (adjust the kernel source version number as required. Your version number
>> would likely be '2.4.24-x1')

>
>> 4. Type "tar jxf xandros-kernel-source-2.6.9.tar.bz2" (without the
>> quotes) and press Enter
>>
>> 5. Type "ln -sf xandros-kernel-source-2.6.9 linux" (without the quotes)
>> and press Enter

>
> Note that where the file name doesn't have the 'x1'...don't feel you need
> to add it. It will be OK as above.....with your version number instead
> (2.4.24)
>
>
> This whole procedure adjusts the version stuff the compile uses so that
> any drivers you compile will be for your version.....2.4.24....
>
> There is more to it than that.....but that is the effect.
>
> It works....which is how I'm able to use the wireless card in this very
> PC....


i tried a make clean command and managed to get this...

cowboyz2100:/home/cowboyz/sm200d/module# insmod sm200d_lnx.o
Warning: loading sm200d_lnx.o will taint the kernel: no license
See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted
modules
Module sm200d_lnx loaded, with warnings
cowboyz2100:/home/cowboyz/sm200d/module#


I am ignoring errors right now with blind faith but it might work.

 
Reply With Quote
 
steve
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-05-2005
cowboyz wrote:


> Type cd /usr/src in the console window and press Enter.
> Type tar jxf xandros-kernel-source-2.4.24.tar.bz2 and press Enter.
> Type ln -sf xandros-kernel-source-2.4.24 linux and press Enter.
> Type cd linux and press Enter.
> Type make EXTRAVERSION=-x1 mrproper and press Enter.
> Type cp /boot/config-2.4.24-x1 .config and press Enter.
> Type make EXTRAVERSION=-x1 oldconfig and press Enter.
> Type make EXTRAVERSION=-x1 dep and press Enter.
> Type cd /usr/src and press Enter.
>
>
> Even still it complains about being version 19 instead of 24 when I
> compile the new object


Grasping at straws:

....and you're sure you didn't type one of those in wrong?

That "=-x1" can be a tricky one if not paying close attention....


 
Reply With Quote
 
cowboyz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-05-2005
steve wrote:

> steve wrote:
>
>> (adjust the kernel source version number as required. Your version number
>> would likely be '2.4.24-x1')

>
>> 4. Type "tar jxf xandros-kernel-source-2.6.9.tar.bz2" (without the
>> quotes) and press Enter
>>
>> 5. Type "ln -sf xandros-kernel-source-2.6.9 linux" (without the quotes)
>> and press Enter

>
> Note that where the file name doesn't have the 'x1'...don't feel you need
> to add it. It will be OK as above.....with your version number instead
> (2.4.24)
>
>
> This whole procedure adjusts the version stuff the compile uses so that
> any drivers you compile will be for your version.....2.4.24....
>
> There is more to it than that.....but that is the effect.
>
> It works....which is how I'm able to use the wireless card in this very
> PC....




YAYAY!!!! WORKING WORKING. Oh it is good to have the satelite back...

 
Reply With Quote
 
Shane
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-05-2005
On Thu, 05 May 2005 22:30:47 +1200, cowboyz wrote:

> steve wrote:
>
>> steve wrote:
>>
>>> (adjust the kernel source version number as required. Your version number
>>> would likely be '2.4.24-x1')

>>
>>> 4. Type "tar jxf xandros-kernel-source-2.6.9.tar.bz2" (without the
>>> quotes) and press Enter
>>>
>>> 5. Type "ln -sf xandros-kernel-source-2.6.9 linux" (without the quotes)
>>> and press Enter

>>
>> Note that where the file name doesn't have the 'x1'...don't feel you need
>> to add it. It will be OK as above.....with your version number instead
>> (2.4.24)
>>
>>
>> This whole procedure adjusts the version stuff the compile uses so that
>> any drivers you compile will be for your version.....2.4.24....
>>
>> There is more to it than that.....but that is the effect.
>>
>> It works....which is how I'm able to use the wireless card in this very
>> PC....

>
> i tried a make clean command and managed to get this...
>
> cowboyz2100:/home/cowboyz/sm200d/module# insmod sm200d_lnx.o
> Warning: loading sm200d_lnx.o will taint the kernel: no license
> See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted
> modules
> Module sm200d_lnx loaded, with warnings
> cowboyz2100:/home/cowboyz/sm200d/module#
>
>
> I am ignoring errors right now with blind faith but it might work.


thats just a warning about licenses, nothing more
(in theory your system will have some poorly licensed components which
could in theory lead to legal issues)

--
Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked

The best way to get the right answer on usenet is to post the wrong one.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Daniel Lawson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-05-2005

> YAYAY!!!! WORKING WORKING. Oh it is good to have the satelite back...



cowboyz / steve - would you mind documenting what you did on the WLUG
wiki at www.wlug.org.nz ?

Just think of a suitable page name, and add your notes in. Someone else
will fix it if you do the wrong thing.

Adding notes like this to the wlug wiki means that the next time someone
else has a problem with it, they can be pointed at that page and have
detailed instructions on how to do it.
 
Reply With Quote
 
AD.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-06-2005
On Thu, 05 May 2005 22:46:05 +1200, cowboyz wrote:

> YAYAY!!!! WORKING WORKING. Oh it is good to have the satelite back...


Well done. That will probably be by far the most demanding thing you'll
have to worry about.

Personally I've never had to do anything like that in the last 5 yrs or so
of using Linux, but the hardware has always been pretty boring run of the
mill stuff - ie just plain old ethernet - no satellite, wireless, DSL,
exotic RAID type stuff etc.

It is one of the things that annoys me about Linux kernel development
though. The inability to keep a stable ABI for drivers from version to
version. Also the fact that 2.6 seems to be still gaining new features and
changes instead of branching off a 2.7 version for that.

The BSDs seem much better at the 'engineering' side of things, while Linux
kernel development is all about the 'coding' stuff. I think Allan Cox
alluded to this in a recent interview where he described Linus as an
excellent programmer but a lousy engineer.

--
Cheers
Anton

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Console Frame Buffer Graphics with Kernel Mode Setting(KMS) in C Progams darin.hensley@gmail.com C Programming 1 11-22-2011 01:21 PM
Kernel#autoload ignores custom monkey patched Kernel#require Lars Gierth Ruby 6 03-20-2010 10:35 PM
Why "Kernel.puts" and not "Kernel.put"? shadytrees@gmail.com Ruby 3 04-08-2006 01:42 PM
kernel hangs after "UNCOMPRESSING KERNEL OK BOOTING KERNEL" yogesh C Programming 3 02-12-2006 11:19 AM
This is good......(Xandros 3.0 + Service pack 2 + 2.6.11 kernel) steve NZ Computing 12 08-09-2005 08:53 AM



Advertisments