Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > compiling driver in Linux.

compiling driver in Linux.

steve

Shane wrote:

>> So - summery:
>>
>> 1. get the tarball and expand it.
>> 2. ./Configure
>> 3. make
>> 4. (as root) make install
>>
>> With Xandros, you need to do some special things just ONCE in order to be
>> able to compile kernel-level software.

> er if I can just add a pedantic note
> cat README and cat INSTALL (if they exist) should be your first move after
> entering the decompressed directorys.
> I have also noted that everyone seems to be installing a new kernel from
> source to build this damn thing, when all that should be needed is the
> kernel HEADERS
> is there anychance that either cowboyz or lance can point us to a copy of
> this tarball so someone can look through it and see what (if anything) can
> be done?

On Xandros, you have to install the kernel source package if the source
you're compiling needs to include some kernel code or use those headers.

There is a wee procedure you need to go through to even get the kernel
headers. Xandros make folks do this because they do not want newbies
messing up their system...which they can't do easily if they aren't able to
install and set up the kernel sources.

Coyboyz appears to have the right setup procedure. Maybe he typed a command
in wrong....or maybe the source he's using just won't work.

Robert Cooze

Peter wrote:
> cowboyz wrote:
>
>>I am trying to compile a ihug ultra driver.
>>The docs are very weak and assume everything will go to plan.

> What can you tell us about the ultra device; make, model, chipset, etc?
> What package are you installing? Where did you get it from? (Maybe someone
> knows if it is the correct driver, or maybe someone can look at that
> package and make some more sense of it.)
>

>>I have tried many many things but it always comes out complaining that it
>>is compiled for 2.4.19

> What is the exact error message of this complaint?
>

> I don't know about the ultra device, but in my experience, these are the
> pieces of info you will probably need to sort it out.
>
> HTH
>
> Peter

Not shure if this is a help the card is made by telman it is one of
those closed source things I think all development stoped arround the
2.2.xx kernals. The grurus In Ihug were doing it on there own time. and
there seemed to be a genral lac of enthusiasiam from Ihug. there were a
Ver 1 driver and a Ver 2 Driver the version 2 was better but it needed
hacking of the make file to make it work. The last time I tryed
compiling the driver on a modern kernal (year back) there were many gcc
related problems. I stoped worring and left the card in a e-smith box
running 2.2.19. went back to regular dialup a little later and much
happier.