Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Cheapest gfx card to run Halflife 2

Cheapest gfx card to run Halflife 2

Jedmeister

Are there any graphics cards priced $100-200 that would run Halflife 2 ?

For my poor brother.

XPD

"Jedmeister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:JWIde.3333$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are there any graphics cards priced $100-200 that would run Halflife 2 ?
>
> For my poor brother.

My Geforce 4 MX420 ran HL2 with some of the purdy bits turne down/off. Wasnt
too bad.... then I picked up a Ti4200 for $50 and well.. its made hell of a
diference

ofn01

Jedmeister wrote:
> Are there any graphics cards priced $100-200 that would run Halflife 2 ?
>
> For my poor brother.

A Radeon 9550 (*not* the SE model, the standard) should be ok to run it
at 800x600/medium quality (maybe 1024x768 if the other components in his
system are fast):

This page has some - though I think some of them are incorrectly listed
here as normal 9550's when they're 9550SE's which are about 30-40%
slower than a standard 9550. http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_4506.html
A 9550 is similar to a 9600 but has a slower clocked GPU.

Half life, Doom3 and other modern games can be quite CPU limited, I
think you need at least a 2Ghz processor for all the physics and stuff
to work fine / not make the game choppy.

Doom3 and Far Cry in particular also really need 1Gb of RAM, Half life
should be ok on 512 though.

This page has a good comparison of video card capabilities:
http://techreport.com/etc/comparo/graphics/

The right-most column is quite an important one (peak memory bandwidth).
- you can see where the standard 9550 sits here and get an idea.

Jedmeister

"ofn01" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jedmeister wrote:
>> Are there any graphics cards priced $100-200 that would run Halflife 2 ?
>>
>> For my poor brother.

> A Radeon 9550 (*not* the SE model, the standard) should be ok to run it at
> 800x600/medium quality (maybe 1024x768 if the other components in his
> system are fast):
>
> This page has some - though I think some of them are incorrectly listed
> here as normal 9550's when they're 9550SE's which are about 30-40% slower
> than a standard 9550. http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_4506.html
> A 9550 is similar to a 9600 but has a slower clocked GPU.
>
> Half life, Doom3 and other modern games can be quite CPU limited, I think
> you need at least a 2Ghz processor for all the physics and stuff to work
> fine / not make the game choppy.
>
> Doom3 and Far Cry in particular also really need 1Gb of RAM, Half life
> should be ok on 512 though.
>
> This page has a good comparison of video card capabilities:
> http://techreport.com/etc/comparo/graphics/
>
> The right-most column is quite an important one (peak memory bandwidth). -
> you can see where the standard 9550 sits here and get an idea.

Thanks, so I will pass this on to my brother. I think he has just 512 ram so
hopefully that will be ok.

Rob J

In article <JWIde.3333$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Tue, 3
May 2005 23:06:15 +1200, Jedmeister <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> Are there any graphics cards priced $100-200 that would run Halflife 2 ?
>
> For my poor brother.

How old is his PC?

A lot of Radeon cards nowadays specify a minimum of a Pentium 4 and also
at least a 300 watt power supply.

Lots of older PCs only have 250 watt supplies.

Dogboy

ofn01 wrote:
> Jedmeister wrote:
>
>> Are there any graphics cards priced $100-200 that would run Halflife 2 ?
>>
>> For my poor brother.
>>

> A Radeon 9550 (*not* the SE model, the standard) should be ok to run it
> at 800x600/medium quality (maybe 1024x768 if the other components in his
> system are fast):
>
> This page has some - though I think some of them are incorrectly listed
> here as normal 9550's when they're 9550SE's which are about 30-40%
> slower than a standard 9550. http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_4506.html
> A 9550 is similar to a 9600 but has a slower clocked GPU.

Indeed, In fact a lot of 9550s are 9600s which have been underclocked.

People started noticing this so ATI released drivers that wouldnt allow
overclocking. But with the help of hacked drivers and programs like
"ATITool" its easy to overclock my 9550 to 9600 and even 9600Pro levels.

If your 9550 comes without a fan you may want to add one for overclocking.

--
Dogboy

Daniel

Jedmeister wrote:

<snip>

>>A Radeon 9550 (*not* the SE model, the standard) should be ok to run it at
>>800x600/medium quality (maybe 1024x768 if the other components in his
>>system are fast):

<snip>

> Thanks, so I will pass this on to my brother. I think he has just 512 ram so
> hopefully that will be ok.

If your bro's PC can handle it, he might wish to consider the GeCube
9550 Extreme Edition:

http://www.gecube.com/mbu/productCategory.php?proID=66

It has a GPU/Memory speed of 400MHz/500MHz, which is actually faster
than a lot of the 9600 Pro's - I refer to the many "crippled" ones with
a 400/400 spec, not the reference design models with 400/600 (or
thereabouts, e.g GeCube 9600 Pro Extreme or PowerColor 9600 Pro Bravo).

The 9550 reference spec is 250MHz/400MHz, so the GeCube 9550 Extreme
really is "extreme".

The silly thing is that the GeCube 9600 Pro (Encore edition) actually
costs *more* than the 9550 Extreme edition.

Anyway, Pricespy doesn't seem to differentiate the 9550 Extreme from the
other 9550's, but, here's a link from Ascent (the price includes free
delivery nationwide):

If you source it from elsewhere, it's very important to keep in mind the
GeCube model number, which is GC-R9550GU-C3 (so you don't end up with
the wrong 9550).

Another GFX card thread. Richard NZ Computing 29 02-05-2008 11:25 AM
WinXP refuses to boot with new gfx card Kyaner@gmail.com Computer Support 2 06-06-2006 05:43 AM
1GB Gfx Card Daniel NZ Computing 22 06-08-2005 04:40 AM
Which GFX card? Isildur Computer Information 0 10-16-2003 11:15 AM
Re: halflife cd key here Buffalo Computer Support 1 06-21-2003 09:39 PM

Advertisments