Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Video Overlay on secondary displays

Video Overlay on secondary displays

Rob J

It appears on some cards, particularly ATI Radeon, that have dual head
capability, that the video overlay can only ever appear on the primary
display.

The manual for PowerColor's Radeon products makes this clear.

Are there any hardware solutions for getting a video overlay on the
secondary display?

J. Clarke

Rob J wrote:

> It appears on some cards, particularly ATI Radeon, that have dual head
> capability, that the video overlay can only ever appear on the primary
> display.
>
> The manual for PowerColor's Radeon products makes this clear.
>
> Are there any hardware solutions for getting a video overlay on the
> secondary display?

(a) just change the order of the displays

(b) go into the overlay settings and set "theater mode" or "same on both".

(c) use Media Center Edition 2005.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Richard

Rob J wrote:
> It appears on some cards, particularly ATI Radeon, that have dual head
> capability, that the video overlay can only ever appear on the primary
> display.
>
> The manual for PowerColor's Radeon products makes this clear.
>
> Are there any hardware solutions for getting a video overlay on the
> secondary display?

ATI's cards are rubbish for overlay - I can only have one active at a time in
any resolution, when I had 2 cards in the machine, even trying to overlay onto
both cards at once wasnt happening, there were streaks all over the images.
Changing to nvidia cards and it all cleared up, can overlay twice on one card,
or 1 onto each of the 2 cards.

FreedomChooser

On Wed, 04 May 2005 11:14:18 +1200, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Rob J wrote:
>> It appears on some cards, particularly ATI Radeon, that have dual head
>> capability, that the video overlay can only ever appear on the primary
>> display.
>>
>> The manual for PowerColor's Radeon products makes this clear.
>>
>> Are there any hardware solutions for getting a video overlay on the
>> secondary display?

>ATI's cards are rubbish for overlay - I can only have one active at a time in
>any resolution, when I had 2 cards in the machine, even trying to overlay onto
>both cards at once wasnt happening, there were streaks all over the images.
>Changing to nvidia cards and it all cleared up, can overlay twice on one card,
>or 1 onto each of the 2 cards.

A NVidia card I looked at the other day wouldn't activate the
secondary display adapter if it coudln't detect anything
At least the Radeon 9600 would let me enable the secondary even if
there was nothing connected to it at startup

Kaptian AV

This link is How to setup dual display useing on one out put
goto videohelp.com- they have a how to guide
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1674408,00.asp

If your doing video editing like i was,I used a ati 9600, tv picture
wastnt to good , you need the correct tv settings

Nvida have a card called the Quadro it think. (expensive)
http://www.nvidia.com/page/quadrofx_family.html

Timbertea

Kaptian AV wrote:
> This link is How to setup dual display useing on one out put
> goto videohelp.com- they have a how to guide
> http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1674408,00.asp
>
> If your doing video editing like i was,I used a ati 9600, tv picture
> wastnt to good , you need the correct tv settings
>
> Nvida have a card called the Quadro it think. (expensive)
> http://www.nvidia.com/page/quadrofx_family.html

Matrox makes very nice cards for this purpose, outstanding 2D, so so 3D.
They have an entire line of cards geared specifically for video editing
that are a joy to work with. If you are building a system to do one
task, and that task is video editing, that is probably where you want to
look at to find the best display solution. They answer their phones
with a real live person too, a nice touch in the age of
digital-voice-jail-press-1-if...

Not worth it if all you are doing is capturing TV and don't want to edit
the content very much, but for the production editing system they have
solutions that are as good as it gets.

-Timbertea