Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > PCI card with TV tuner for Linux

PCI card with TV tuner for Linux

Mark

Could someone point me to where I caould find a PCI TV tuner card for
linux (Fedora 3)?
And could I have some suggestions for a reasonable pair of speakers
(adequate for MP3 playing. I am not an audiophile)?

TIA
Mark

Graeme Woollett

Mark wrote:
> Could someone point me to where I caould find a PCI TV tuner card for
> linux (Fedora 3)?
> And could I have some suggestions for a reasonable pair of speakers
> (adequate for MP3 playing. I am not an audiophile)?
>
> TIA
> Mark

Anything with a BT8x8 (mono) or SAA713x (nicam stereo) are well
supported. Getting the SAA7134 to keep defaulting to 5.5Mhz when it
loses the audio carrier is a bit of a pain. Not a problem if you hack
the kernel module driver though. There is a newer chip starting with
ctxxx? Support for this one is around but only in late model kernels?
e.g XH6765 from DSE $48 SAA7134 chipset
Then add Mythtv TV to make it into a awesome PVR box.

hope this helps

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Mark wrote:
> Could someone point me to where I caould find a PCI TV tuner card for
> linux (Fedora 3)?

I use a Pinnacle PCTV Stereo card. It uses the saa7134 chip which is
fairly well supported in Linux. Only likely issue is getting sound to
work 100%, but it isn't too hard...

The card cost less than AUD$90, so should be quite cheap in NZ too.
If you cannot find that card try any other with the BT8x8 chipset,
which is well supported...

> And could I have some suggestions for a reasonable pair of speakers
> (adequate for MP3 playing. I am not an audiophile)?

Most cheap PC speakers will be fine for that. Spend as little money
as possible on speakers, because the quality of sound reproduction
from your average PC is worse than even a crap pair of speakers can
reproduce...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.