Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wirleless network key

Wirleless network key

=?Utf-8?B?VGhlIEJvc3M=?=

I am trying to make my wirless connection more secure. Following the
instructions I am setting data encryption as WEP. It requires a network ket
to enetered. Where do i get this from? I have tried to enter a 'made up'
key but i get the following error message:
" the network password needs to be 40 bits or 104 bits depending on your
network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 11 ascii characters or 10
or 26 hexadecimal characters"
What does this mean? Thanks

Socrates

See http://www.amw1.com/faq/error-messages/faqs.htm

"The Boss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am trying to make my wirless connection more secure. Following the
> instructions I am setting data encryption as WEP. It requires a network ket
> to enetered. Where do i get this from? I have tried to enter a 'made up'
> key but i get the following error message:
> " the network password needs to be 40 bits or 104 bits depending on your
> network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 11 ascii characters or 10
> or 26 hexadecimal characters"
> What does this mean? Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?TWFkRG9n?=

Depending on what strength encryption you select for WEP, you need to make up
a key that matches it.

Hex keys are made up of 0-9 and A-F.

MD

"The Boss" wrote:

> I am trying to make my wirless connection more secure. Following the
> instructions I am setting data encryption as WEP. It requires a network ket
> to enetered. Where do i get this from? I have tried to enter a 'made up'
> key but i get the following error message:
> " the network password needs to be 40 bits or 104 bits depending on your
> network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 11 ascii characters or 10
> or 26 hexadecimal characters"
> What does this mean? Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?cGN3aXRjaA==?=

With your router/wifi access point you have some kind of service
access/screens, most probably trough your web browser. In one of those
screens you can set WEP encryption and select for ASCII or hexa. It don't
matter which you choose as this results in a 64 bit encryption key anyway.
For ease of copying the key you better use a 5 char ascii ! You can use any
key you think of, just put one in there that is not to easy to figure out and
copy it on some piece of paper. The same key (and name of the wiwi access
point must then be entered in the wireless access settings of your notebook
or any computer wanting to communicate with the key protected wifi access
point.