Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Orcon UBS 2MBit or stick with Telecom/Orcon 2MBit ADSL?

Jamie Kahn Genet

What are the pros and cons, please? Am I better off paying Telecom for
my 2MBit, 10GB per month ADSL and Orcon just for the admin, or is
Orcon's own 2MBit plan as good?

I play the occasional online game, host my own very low-usage web, ftp
and mail servers and listen to a lot of streaming QT audio.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Pacific Dragon

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 01:29:16 +1200, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

> What are the pros and cons, please? Am I better off paying Telecom for
> my 2MBit, 10GB per month ADSL and Orcon just for the admin, or is
> Orcon's own 2MBit plan as good?
>
> I play the occasional online game, host my own very low-usage web, ftp
> and mail servers and listen to a lot of streaming QT audio.
>
> Regards,
> Jamie Kahn Genet

My inclination would be stay on the 2Mbit Telecom Jetstream Plan if you are
already on it and finding the overall performance satisfactory. Currently
I am on the 256k Telecom Jetstream Explorer plan via Orcon and as far as
the connection side of things go, it has been pretty reliable.

As such, I would recommending waiting it out and see what others feel about
the 2Mbit plans before jumping in yourself, reasons being...

1) Orcon's free offer of transferring without incurring the $99 churn fee
expired yesterday.
2) For me, when they released their 256k bitstream flatrate offer, I
Decided not to jump on their UBS product right away to instead wait it out
to see how others were finding it, as a result, this has saved me from
potentially months of anguish and hair pulling.

steve

Pacific Dragon wrote:

> 2) For me, when they released their 256k bitstream flatrate offer, I
> Decided not to jump on their UBS product right away to instead wait it out
> to see how others were finding it, as a result, this has saved me from
> potentially months of anguish and hair pulling.

Good advice in hindsight.

I did the same.....and my service has been very reliable.

I'd like to go Orcon UBS 2mb.....but not until everyone agrees it's good,
solid and delivers the throughput promised.

Jamie Kahn Genet

Pacific Dragon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 01:29:16 +1200, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
>
> > What are the pros and cons, please? Am I better off paying Telecom for
> > my 2MBit, 10GB per month ADSL and Orcon just for the admin, or is
> > Orcon's own 2MBit plan as good?
> >
> > I play the occasional online game, host my own very low-usage web, ftp
> > and mail servers and listen to a lot of streaming QT audio.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Jamie Kahn Genet

> My inclination would be stay on the 2Mbit Telecom Jetstream Plan if you are
> already on it and finding the overall performance satisfactory. Currently
> I am on the 256k Telecom Jetstream Explorer plan via Orcon and as far as
> the connection side of things go, it has been pretty reliable.
>
> As such, I would recommending waiting it out and see what others feel about
> the 2Mbit plans before jumping in yourself, reasons being...
>
> 1) Orcon's free offer of transferring without incurring the $99 churn fee
> expired yesterday.
> 2) For me, when they released their 256k bitstream flatrate offer, I
> Decided not to jump on their UBS product right away to instead wait it out
> to see how others were finding it, as a result, this has saved me from
> potentially months of anguish and hair pulling.

Thanks for the advice. I worried I was being over-cautious, but had
heard some disturbing tales of poor speed and high latency for UBS
connections My first instinct is to move away from Telecom at all
costs, but I'm glad I held on. You're not the first person to say so
since I began asking around yesterday.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet