Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Putting a page of a PDF file into a word doc (NOT screenshottingit)

Putting a page of a PDF file into a word doc (NOT screenshottingit)

Impossible

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Impossible wrote:
>
>> The full version of Acrobat handles this kind of thing expertly, as
>> you'd expect -- extracting a page and saving it to practically any
>> format you want (editable text or image). So if it's a one-off
>> project you're working on, and it's improtant, you might want to
>> consider taking it to a printer/copy shop that has Acrobat (or
>> Omnipage Pro, versions 12-14) -- should be pretty common -- and pay
>> the $10 or so to get it done right.

> A friend has acrobat 7 pro, I have tried the following.
>
> I can export a page from the pdf to a single page pdf, and then copy
> and paste special that as an acrobat object, and doubleclicking on
> the pasted item opens acrobat so I can edit the page, but both
> onscreen and when printing it, its a bitmap so all the small fonts
> are illedgable.
>
> Doing it thru the pdf2word things, its readable but the layout is
> trashed.

Don't copy and paste the extracted page. Save the extracted page in
some suitable format -- Word, gif, whatever you want. Then it will do
exactly what you want

Impossible

"Impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Impossible wrote:
>>
>>> The full version of Acrobat handles this kind of thing expertly,
>>> as you'd expect -- extracting a page and saving it to practically
>>> any format you want (editable text or image). So if it's a one-off
>>> project you're working on, and it's improtant, you might want to
>>> consider taking it to a printer/copy shop that has Acrobat (or
>>> Omnipage Pro, versions 12-14) -- should be pretty common -- and
>>> pay the $10 or so to get it done right.

>> A friend has acrobat 7 pro, I have tried the following.
>>
>> I can export a page from the pdf to a single page pdf, and then
>> copy and paste special that as an acrobat object, and
>> doubleclicking on the pasted item opens acrobat so I can edit the
>> page, but both onscreen and when printing it, its a bitmap so all
>> the small fonts are illedgable.
>>
>> Doing it thru the pdf2word things, its readable but the layout is
>> trashed.

> Don't copy and paste the extracted page. Save the extracted page in
> some suitable format -- Word, gif, whatever you want. Then it will
> do exactly what you want

To clarify, you want to insert the page you saved from Acrobat into
Word:

Insert | Picture...From file (and then pick your saved file)

Richard

Impossible wrote:
> "Impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>"Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>A friend has acrobat 7 pro, I have tried the following.
>>>
>>>I can export a page from the pdf to a single page pdf, and then
>>>copy and paste special that as an acrobat object, and
>>>doubleclicking on the pasted item opens acrobat so I can edit the
>>>page, but both onscreen and when printing it, its a bitmap so all
>>>the small fonts are illedgable.
>>>
>>>Doing it thru the pdf2word things, its readable but the layout is
>>>trashed.

>>Don't copy and paste the extracted page. Save the extracted page in
>>some suitable format -- Word, gif, whatever you want. Then it will
>>do exactly what you want

> To clarify, you want to insert the page you saved from Acrobat into
> Word:
>
> Insert | Picture...From file (and then pick your saved file)

And if I save it as a gif or any bitmapped format, it ends up looking like arse
because the text is small. I think I am just going to have to mess around with
putting the paper thru the printer multiple times to get the result I need.

Impossible

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Impossible wrote:
>> "Impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>"Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>Don't copy and paste the extracted page. Save the extracted page in
>>>some suitable format -- Word, gif, whatever you want. Then it will
>>>do exactly what you want

>> To clarify, you want to insert the page you saved from Acrobat into
>> Word:
>>
>> Insert | Picture...From file (and then pick your saved file)

> And if I save it as a gif or any bitmapped format, it ends up
> looking like arse because the text is small. I think I am just going
> to have to mess around with putting the paper thru the printer
> multiple times to get the result I need.

Just save the file as a single-page pdf. Insert. Re-size as you
please.

Wombus

Richard wrote:
> I need to put a page of a PDF into a word 2003 docco.
>
> I have tried a couple of tools to convert the PDF into a word document,
> but all I get is a mischmash of varios drawing items scattered around in
> a way that I am not able to resize etc.
>
> Ideally I want to just copy the page from the PDF as a vector object and
> paste into word as something I can float with text around it.
>
> Any ideas?

I've just run a quick test using Acrobat 7 by saving a pdf file as TIFF
image file (setting CITT G4 for monochrome and LZW for colour and
greyscale) and then inserted into MS Word.... all looks mighty fine to
me... in fact the page renders on screen and prints beautifully.

Richard

Wombus wrote:
> Richard wrote:
>
>> I need to put a page of a PDF into a word 2003 docco.
>>
>> I have tried a couple of tools to convert the PDF into a word
>> document, but all I get is a mischmash of varios drawing items
>> scattered around in a way that I am not able to resize etc.
>>
>> Ideally I want to just copy the page from the PDF as a vector object
>> and paste into word as something I can float with text around it.
>>
>> Any ideas?

> I've just run a quick test using Acrobat 7 by saving a pdf file as TIFF
> image file (setting CITT G4 for monochrome and LZW for colour and
> greyscale) and then inserted into MS Word.... all looks mighty fine to
> me... in fact the page renders on screen and prints beautifully.

Even when I tried it at something horriffic like 4000x6000 it still didnt look
anything like when printed from acrobat, and made the word doc huge. I ended up
just simply popping the page thru twice, once in word for the text, and once
from acrobat for the PDF with the margins changed to get it roughly in the right
place and then tweeking an empty text box in word to keep the words off it.

Impossible

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Wombus wrote:
>> Richard wrote:
>>
>>> I need to put a page of a PDF into a word 2003 docco.
>>>
>>> I have tried a couple of tools to convert the PDF into a word
>>> document, but all I get is a mischmash of varios drawing items
>>> scattered around in a way that I am not able to resize etc.
>>>
>>> Ideally I want to just copy the page from the PDF as a vector
>>> object and paste into word as something I can float with text
>>> around it.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?

>> I've just run a quick test using Acrobat 7 by saving a pdf file as
>> TIFF image file (setting CITT G4 for monochrome and LZW for colour
>> and greyscale) and then inserted into MS Word.... all looks mighty
>> fine to me... in fact the page renders on screen and prints
>> beautifully.

> Even when I tried it at something horriffic like 4000x6000 it still
> didnt look anything like when printed from acrobat, and made the
> word doc huge. I ended up just simply popping the page thru twice,
> once in word for the text, and once from acrobat for the PDF with
> the margins changed to get it roughly in the right place and then
> tweeking an empty text box in word to keep the words off it.

Hard to figure the problems you had inserting a page extracted and
saved by Acrobat itself. This is a pretty common task. For future
reference, you might want to get someone experienced with Acrobat (and
Word) to walk you through the process, just in case you missed
something inadvertently.