Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Apple mac questions - OS / X

Apple mac questions - OS / X

michael

hi
I'm a total newbie when it comes to Mac's.

I'm also very frustrated with MS Windows.

I'm feedup with Linux.

So I thought I'd give OS/X a go on a MAC.

2nd hand Mac's on trademe seem very expensive still.

What is the bare minimum I need to run OS/X so I
can see what its like and if I'd actually want to
use it and get a more powerful system.

Nova

michael wrote:
> hi
> I'm a total newbie when it comes to Mac's.
>
> I'm also very frustrated with MS Windows.
>
> I'm feedup with Linux.
>
> So I thought I'd give OS/X a go on a MAC.
>
> 2nd hand Mac's on trademe seem very expensive still.
>
> What is the bare minimum I need to run OS/X

a lot of patience

so I
> can see what its like and if I'd actually want to
> use it and get a more powerful system.

XPD

"michael" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zBlce.2164$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi
> I'm a total newbie when it comes to Mac's.
>
> I'm also very frustrated with MS Windows.
>
> I'm feedup with Linux.
>
> So I thought I'd give OS/X a go on a MAC.
>
> 2nd hand Mac's on trademe seem very expensive still.
>
> What is the bare minimum I need to run OS/X so I
> can see what its like and if I'd actually want to
> use it and get a more powerful system.

Tiger requirements

Mac OS X Version 10.4 requires a Macintosh with:
a.. PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor
b.. Built-in FireWire
c.. At least 256MB of physical RAM
d.. A built-in display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video
card supported by your computer
e.. At least 3.0 GB of available space on your hard drive; 4GB of disk
space if you install XCode 2 developer tools
Note: Mac OS X does not support processor upgrade cards. The amount of disk
space required depends on your computer and the way you are installing Mac
OS X.

Jerry

michael wrote:
> hi
> I'm a total newbie when it comes to Mac's.
>
> I'm also very frustrated with MS Windows.
>
> I'm feedup with Linux.
>
> So I thought I'd give OS/X a go on a MAC.
>
> 2nd hand Mac's on trademe seem very expensive still.
>
> What is the bare minimum I need to run OS/X so I
> can see what its like and if I'd actually want to
> use it and get a more powerful system.

As of 1800 today, plain OS/X is obsolete

-=rjh=-

michael wrote:
> hi
> I'm a total newbie when it comes to Mac's.
>
> I'm also very frustrated with MS Windows.
>
> I'm feedup with Linux.
>
> So I thought I'd give OS/X a go on a MAC.
>
> 2nd hand Mac's on trademe seem very expensive still.
>
> What is the bare minimum I need to run OS/X so I
> can see what its like and if I'd actually want to
> use it and get a more powerful system.

Wouldn't you just go out and buy a Mac Mini? Considering the hardware
*and* software you are getting (Tiger), it seems a good enough deal; if
you don't like it I'm sure you could sell it on Trademe for at least
what you bought it for

Secondhand Macs seem to retain their value quite well, not sure why.

michael

XPD wrote:
> "michael" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:zBlce.2164$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>hi
>>I'm a total newbie when it comes to Mac's.
>>
>>I'm also very frustrated with MS Windows.
>>
>>I'm feedup with Linux.
>>
>>So I thought I'd give OS/X a go on a MAC.
>>
>>2nd hand Mac's on trademe seem very expensive still.
>>
>>What is the bare minimum I need to run OS/X so I
>>can see what its like and if I'd actually want to
>>use it and get a more powerful system.

> Tiger requirements
>
> Mac OS X Version 10.4 requires a Macintosh with:
> a.. PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor
> b.. Built-in FireWire
> c.. At least 256MB of physical RAM
> d.. A built-in display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video
> card supported by your computer
> e.. At least 3.0 GB of available space on your hard drive; 4GB of disk
> space if you install XCode 2 developer tools
> Note: Mac OS X does not support processor upgrade cards. The amount of disk
> space required depends on your computer and the way you are installing Mac
> OS X.

thanks, I read that on the web site but it does not
mean much to me as I've no idea about power pc compared to intel, amd, etc.

I mean if I had a g3 based system running os /x would it be like
running windows XP on a 500mhz celeron.

So maybe I should of said, to have a reasonably good experience
of os/x what is the minium requirement.

Also, why on earth is FireWire a requirement???

michael

Nova wrote:
> michael wrote:
>
>> hi
>> I'm a total newbie when it comes to Mac's.
>>
>> I'm also very frustrated with MS Windows.
>>
>> I'm feedup with Linux.
>>
>> So I thought I'd give OS/X a go on a MAC.
>>
>> 2nd hand Mac's on trademe seem very expensive still.
>>
>> What is the bare minimum I need to run OS/X

> a lot of patience
>
> so I
>
>> can see what its like and if I'd actually want to
>> use it and get a more powerful system.

especially when reading some replies

michael

Jerry wrote:
> michael wrote:
>
>> hi
>> I'm a total newbie when it comes to Mac's.
>>
>> I'm also very frustrated with MS Windows.
>>
>> I'm feedup with Linux.
>>
>> So I thought I'd give OS/X a go on a MAC.
>>
>> 2nd hand Mac's on trademe seem very expensive still.
>>
>> What is the bare minimum I need to run OS/X so I
>> can see what its like and if I'd actually want to
>> use it and get a more powerful system.

> As of 1800 today, plain OS/X is obsolete

helpful.

michael

-=rjh=- wrote:
> michael wrote:
>
>> hi
>> I'm a total newbie when it comes to Mac's.
>>
>> I'm also very frustrated with MS Windows.
>>
>> I'm feedup with Linux.
>>
>> So I thought I'd give OS/X a go on a MAC.
>>
>> 2nd hand Mac's on trademe seem very expensive still.
>>
>> What is the bare minimum I need to run OS/X so I
>> can see what its like and if I'd actually want to
>> use it and get a more powerful system.

> Wouldn't you just go out and buy a Mac Mini? Considering the hardware
> *and* software you are getting (Tiger), it seems a good enough deal; if
> you don't like it I'm sure you could sell it on Trademe for at least
> what you bought it for
>
> Secondhand Macs seem to retain their value quite well, not sure why.

Yes I've been thinking about doing this.
My biggest concern was its alot to shell out and then find
I hate OS/X and then have the hassle of selling it on trademe.

With a really cheap mac at least the kids could continue to use it.

Goign to have a play at Harvey Normans tomorrow.

whoisthis

In article <4271f14c$(E-Mail Removed)>, Jerry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> michael wrote:
> > hi
> > I'm a total newbie when it comes to Mac's.
> >
> > I'm also very frustrated with MS Windows.
> >
> > I'm feedup with Linux.
> >
> > So I thought I'd give OS/X a go on a MAC.
> >
> > 2nd hand Mac's on trademe seem very expensive still.
> >
> > What is the bare minimum I need to run OS/X so I
> > can see what its like and if I'd actually want to
> > use it and get a more powerful system.

> As of 1800 today, plain OS/X is obsolete

As of 1928 it was obsolete on my powerbook, now to reinstall all the
Apps again...sigh, but we are getting there, all 8 Gigs of data files
etc are back too