Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Choosing PC components

Choosing PC components

akiwi

Any ideas on how to choose CPU components on Ascent PC Builder with
performance roughly the same as the following parts, but with an
assurance of a reasonably quiet system. The PSU needs to cope with at
least two hard drives and maybe two monitors but there'll probably be
just one LCD monitor and drive to start with.
http://www.ascent.co.nz/pcbuild.asp

Intel D915GUXL motherboard, Socket 775, Pentium 4, 800MHz FSB
$238

Intel Pentium 4, 3.2 GHz CPU, 800 Mhz FSB, Prescott Socket 478,
$414

Cooler Master Cavalier 3, ATX Mid Tower Case, 350W PSU, Silver
$239

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST3160023A, 160 GB, 7,200rpm,
$166

What advantage or disadvantage is there in getting a 64 bit CPU if you
don't run applications that target 64 bit.

Also what is the difference between 1GB RAM DDR2 533 and DDR2 333? -
any recommendations for a 1GB RAM chip?

Thanks in advance.
akiwi

Dave - Dave.net.nz

akiwi wrote:
> Any ideas on how to choose CPU components on Ascent PC Builder with
> performance roughly the same as the following parts, but with an
> assurance of a reasonably quiet system. The PSU needs to cope with at
> least two hard drives and maybe two monitors but there'll probably be
> just one LCD monitor and drive to start with.
> http://www.ascent.co.nz/pcbuild.asp

The PSU no longer powers the LCD/monitor, and hasn't for quite a while.
Coolermaster seem to make faily good gear, so a 350 from them will
probably be enough for what you want, although you dont mention which
VGA card you may be getting, if any.

> What advantage or disadvantage is there in getting a 64 bit CPU if you
> don't run applications that target 64 bit.

The AMD 64/FX/Opteron CPUs have the memory controller on the CPU,
meaning a lot less latency when trying to access memory, other than
that, if you're only using 32bit apps and OS, it'll make **** difference.

> Also what is the difference between 1GB RAM DDR2 533 and DDR2 333? -
> any recommendations for a 1GB RAM chip?

A lot, if getting DDR2, you want it as fast as you can get, DDR2 is
higher in latency than DDR, and so it makes it kinda important to make
sure you get it as fast as possible.

1GB ram chip?
ummm, normally I go for 2x512MB over 1x1GB
Not sure why, but have always preferred it.
Kingmax seems to make good stuff DDR wise, but I don't know much about
DDR2, overslocker type websites are normally quite good for memory details.

akiwi

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 15:14:32 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>akiwi wrote:
>> Any ideas on how to choose CPU components on Ascent PC Builder with
>> performance roughly the same as the following parts, but with an
>> assurance of a reasonably quiet system. The PSU needs to cope with at
>> least two hard drives and maybe two monitors but there'll probably be
>> just one LCD monitor and drive to start with.
>> http://www.ascent.co.nz/pcbuild.asp

>The PSU no longer powers the LCD/monitor, and hasn't for quite a while.
>Coolermaster seem to make faily good gear, so a 350 from them will
>probably be enough for what you want, although you dont mention which
>VGA card you may be getting, if any.

I'll probably need a graphics card to get DVI for the LCD monitor but
it won't be used for games so probably just an average to low-end card
e.g. Gigabyte radeon 9250 as in the value-for-money PC builder config.

>> What advantage or disadvantage is there in getting a 64 bit CPU if you
>> don't run applications that target 64 bit.

>The AMD 64/FX/Opteron CPUs have the memory controller on the CPU,
>meaning a lot less latency when trying to access memory, other than
>that, if you're only using 32bit apps and OS, it'll make **** difference.
>
>> Also what is the difference between 1GB RAM DDR2 533 and DDR2 333? -
>> any recommendations for a 1GB RAM chip?

>A lot, if getting DDR2, you want it as fast as you can get, DDR2 is
>higher in latency than DDR, and so it makes it kinda important to make
>sure you get it as fast as possible.
>
>1GB ram chip?
>ummm, normally I go for 2x512MB over 1x1GB
>Not sure why, but have always preferred it.
>Kingmax seems to make good stuff DDR wise, but I don't know much about
>DDR2, overslocker type websites are normally quite good for memory details.

ok, DDR RAM then.

Longhorn and .NET apps will consume heaps of RAM so 1GB chip makes
better use of RAM slots than 512 MB, to allow for expansion.

Thanks
akiwi

Dave - Dave.net.nz

akiwi wrote:
> Longhorn and .NET apps will consume heaps of RAM so 1GB chip makes
> better use of RAM slots than 512 MB, to allow for expansion.

MS released something today stating that a "modern CPU and 512MB ram"
would be sufficient for Longhorn, take from that what you will.

usually I double what they say, and it flies, so, a super modern CPU(the
latest), and 1Gbyte of RAM should do it...

g00g1eme@gmail.com

The motherboard you mentioned has dual memory channels, so you need to
install DIMMS in matched pairs for best performance, i.e. two 512MB
DIMMs.

CSE

On 28 Apr 2005 20:51:22 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>The motherboard you mentioned has dual memory channels, so you need to
>install DIMMS in matched pairs for best performance, i.e. two 512MB
>DIMMs.

They don't have to be Matched, just the same Type..

Jerry

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> akiwi wrote:
>
>> Longhorn and .NET apps will consume heaps of RAM so 1GB chip makes
>> better use of RAM slots than 512 MB, to allow for expansion.

> MS released something today stating that a "modern CPU and 512MB ram"
> would be sufficient for Longhorn, take from that what you will.
>
> usually I double what they say, and it flies, so, a super modern CPU(the
> latest), and 1Gbyte of RAM should do it...

and double the RAM again if you want any performance out of it, so 2Gb
should be a reasonable system.

akiwi

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 15:08:06 +1200, akiwi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Any ideas on how to choose CPU components on Ascent PC Builder with
>performance roughly the same as the following parts, but with an
>assurance of a reasonably quiet system. The PSU needs to cope with at
>least two hard drives and maybe two monitors but there'll probably be
>just one LCD monitor and drive to start with.
>http://www.ascent.co.nz/pcbuild.asp
>
>Intel D915GUXL motherboard, Socket 775, Pentium 4, 800MHz FSB
>$238
>
>Intel Pentium 4, 3.2 GHz CPU, 800 Mhz FSB, Prescott Socket 478,
>$414
>
>Cooler Master Cavalier 3, ATX Mid Tower Case, 350W PSU, Silver
>$239

It seems the Prescott is a hot-running CPU and the Cavalier cooling is
only adequate and not exceptional (actually described as inadequate in
one review on the Cavalier 1) but is exceptionally quiet. Any ideas
for a cooler CPU with similar performance as P4 3.2 and/or a quiet but
well performing cooling system?

akiwi

Jerry

akiwi wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 15:08:06 +1200, akiwi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Any ideas on how to choose CPU components on Ascent PC Builder with
>>performance roughly the same as the following parts, but with an
>>assurance of a reasonably quiet system. The PSU needs to cope with at
>>least two hard drives and maybe two monitors but there'll probably be
>>just one LCD monitor and drive to start with.
>>http://www.ascent.co.nz/pcbuild.asp
>>
>>Intel D915GUXL motherboard, Socket 775, Pentium 4, 800MHz FSB
>>$238
>>
>>Intel Pentium 4, 3.2 GHz CPU, 800 Mhz FSB, Prescott Socket 478,
>>$414
>>
>>Cooler Master Cavalier 3, ATX Mid Tower Case, 350W PSU, Silver
>>$239

> It seems the Prescott is a hot-running CPU and the Cavalier cooling is
> only adequate and not exceptional (actually described as inadequate in
> one review on the Cavalier 1) but is exceptionally quiet. Any ideas
> for a cooler CPU with similar performance as P4 3.2 and/or a quiet but
> well performing cooling system?
>
> akiwi

no fan at all is even quieter, you just hear a "tink" sound from the
cpu, and you only ever hear that once.

Jerry

akiwi

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 17:58:56 +1200, Jerry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>akiwi wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 15:08:06 +1200, akiwi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>> It seems the Prescott is a hot-running CPU and the Cavalier cooling is
>> only adequate and not exceptional (actually described as inadequate in
>> one review on the Cavalier 1) but is exceptionally quiet. Any ideas
>> for a cooler CPU with similar performance as P4 3.2 and/or a quiet but
>> well performing cooling system?
>>
>> akiwi

>no fan at all is even quieter, you just hear a "tink" sound from the
>cpu, and you only ever hear that once.

Well I've found out how to get cool and quiet Prescott here
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1742/

but I don't know how to go about achieving that and I'm not thrilled
about having a heat-producing PC.

akiwi