Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Microsoft becoming a gangster? or maybe a common mugger....whichis worse I wonder.....

Microsoft becoming a gangster? or maybe a common mugger....whichis worse I wonder.....

Matthew Poole

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thing <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.p...04;fp;2;fpid;1

*SNIP*
>So if you cant win or keep customers with the price and quality of your
>product(s) sue them.....just watch SCO for the effectiveness of this
>tactic......

Hey, they got some money out of it. Including seven figures from one
company - who were promptly berated into submission by the OSS
community, to the point that they admitted it had been a very silly
thing to do.

>At what point I wonder will CEOs, CIOs and CFOs get sick of being done
>over....

CEOs and CFOs just sign the cheques. The culprits are CIOs and CTOs who
fail to fully understand the environment. Corporate counsel should also
be shouldering some of the blame, since it's their job to actually
evaluate such legal stick-waving. However, if the I and T guys don't
let legal know that they've been threatened, it becomes a bit difficult
for legal to actually do anything - lawyers are sharks, not omnipresent.

--
Matthew Poole
"Veni, vidi, velcro...

My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

thing

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.p...04;fp;2;fpid;1

".........Sudden avalanches of monopoly lawyers descending on
unsuspecting customer executives to warn them about the patent trouble
they are about to get into if they don't pay royalties for free software
has been going on at an enhanced rate for 12 months.

"The victims of such 'muggings' don't like to come forward. They don't
tell the press, or us."

Moglen said some organizations prefer to pay royalties to the monopoly
rather than challenge the threats.

"Everyone who starts paying tribute to the monopoly for the use of your
code encourages others to fall in line," he said, adding that he had
travelled to Redmond and "threatened them on your behalf" and is
confident such threats are being heard........"

So if you cant win or keep customers with the price and quality of your
product(s) sue them.....just watch SCO for the effectiveness of this
tactic......

At what point I wonder will CEOs, CIOs and CFOs get sick of being done
over....

regards

Thing

steve

thing wrote:

> So if you cant win or keep customers with the price and quality of your
> product(s) sue them.....just watch SCO for the effectiveness of this
> tactic......
>
> At what point I wonder will CEOs, CIOs and CFOs get sick of being done
> over....
>
> regards
>
> Thing

This might explain why Microsoft has been filing all those silly patents for
stuff that has been around for years before they even existed.

You have to take them to court to prove several hundred patents are
bogus....and the mega-billions corporation will win any war of attrition on
legal costs alone.

It's piracy.....and you find parallels like it in the US going back to the
robber barons who used to run the railways in the 1800s.

These transport monopolists were a law unto themselves and they owned vast
numbers of politicians, judges and often the police, too. Killing their
opponents wasn't a problem for them.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <d4rr1d$qbq$(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Matthew Poole) wrote:

>CEOs and CFOs just sign the cheques. The culprits are CIOs and CTOs who
>fail to fully understand the environment.

Do any of them have CLOs (Chief Legal Officers)?

Mutlley

Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>In article <d4rr1d$qbq$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) (Matthew Poole) wrote:
>
>>CEOs and CFOs just sign the cheques. The culprits are CIOs and CTOs who
>>fail to fully understand the environment.

>Do any of them have CLOs (Chief Legal Officers)?

It's called the US Justice Department and Congress