Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Save to paper?

Save to paper?

Nicholas Sherlock

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know of a recent program which allows you to print out data
onto paper (It gets encoded as columns of white or black squares)? All I
can find is the ancient www.paperdisk.com.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Bruce Sinclair

In article <426f10d3$(E-Mail Removed)>, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Collector=BBNZ?= <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hank said the following on 27/04/2005 4:08 p.m.:
>> And how would you get it back into the computer?
>>

>If you had visited the op original link you would see that
>it is scanned and interpreted by a program to turn it back
>into comp type data.

Does it have a silverfish driver ?

Bruce

-------------------------------------
- George Bernard Shaw
- Ambrose Bierce

(if there were any)

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
> Does anyone know of a recent program which allows you to print out data
> onto paper (It gets encoded as columns of white or black squares)? All I
> can find is the ancient www.paperdisk.com.

I got this new fandangled thing called a printer, it comes with some
software called a driver, and, the data is human readable(assuming that
humans can read english).

soryy, couldn't help myself... and neither can anyone else.

Nicholas Sherlock

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know of a recent program which allows you to print out
>> data onto paper (It gets encoded as columns of white or black
>> squares)? All I can find is the ancient www.paperdisk.com.

> I got this new fandangled thing called a printer, it comes with some
> software called a driver, and, the data is human readable(assuming that
> humans can read english).
>
> soryy, couldn't help myself... and neither can anyone else.

Thanks, but I'm talking about printing out binary data: applications,
backups and compressed files. You can get a few megs of data on each
page with a black and white printer, multiply by at least 4 with a
colour one.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Hank

And how would you get it back into the computer?

Collector»NZ

Hank said the following on 27/04/2005 4:08 p.m.:
> And how would you get it back into the computer?

If you had visited the op original link you would see that
it is scanned and interpreted by a program to turn it back
into comp type data.

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
*Slow day Posts Blog*
Pictorial Amusement from the web at
http://nzcollector.blogspot.com

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Hank wrote:
> And how would you get it back into the computer?

Dont snip so much please... keep the messages in context.

Scan it?

Shane

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:11:19 +1200, Collector»NZ wrote:

> Hank said the following on 27/04/2005 4:08 p.m.:
>> And how would you get it back into the computer?
>>

> If you had visited the op original link you would see that
> it is scanned and interpreted by a program to turn it back
> into comp type data.

jebus!
I thought they had outlawed punch card systems years ago

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Shane wrote:
>>>And how would you get it back into the computer?

>>If you had visited the op original link you would see that
>>it is scanned and interpreted by a program to turn it back
>>into comp type data.

> jebus!
> I thought they had outlawed punch card systems years ago

actually at 4MB for a piece of paper, it's probably cheaper to
physically mail p2p than to use Jetstream... might even be quicker too.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>> jebus!
>> I thought they had outlawed punch card systems years ago

> actually at 4MB for a piece of paper, it's probably cheaper to
> physically mail p2p than to use Jetstream... might even be quicker too.

sorry, only a few MB per page... but from nicks later post...
"multiply by at least 4 with a colour one"

so thats ~8MB per side, 16MB per A4 sheet, thats pretty good.

I wonder if you could then scan as jpeg, compress into zip and reprint
to paper?

endless compression... bring on the perpetual motion... I knew it was
possible.