Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Save to paper?

Save to paper?

David Preece

Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
> Does anyone know of a recent program which allows you to print out data
> onto paper (It gets encoded as columns of white or black squares)?

In related news you used to be able to get widgets to backup hard drives
onto VHS video. Presumably the sticking point came when you had to try
and restore it, but the idea's good.

Dave

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <42700495$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:

>>>Um, every eighth page is a parity page.

>> Wouldn't that be every _ninth_ page? And what good is
> > parity detection without correction anyway?
> >

>Then write the correction into the read/write software.
>
>And parity dosn't require eight. A RAID 5 array can have
>from 3 volumes up.

That's error-correction, not error-detection, and you wouldn't want to
have more than 2 data volumes per parity volume.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Tim wrote:
> Its been done.
> But the question remains. Why bother?

for the eternal answer... "because we can"

Tim

Its been done.

But the question remains. Why bother?

"David Preece" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42701c94$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Shane wrote:
>> imagine a linux distro sent out on paper

> I'm liking this more and more. Do you think we could make a bootable piece
> of paper?
>
> Dave

EMB

David Preece wrote:

> I'm liking this more and more. Do you think we could make a bootable
> piece of paper?

I've got one somewhere - a roll of paper tape with all the bootstrap
routines for a Wang 2200T (IIRC - it's a long time ago) so it could
actually "see" any mass storage.

And probably a copy of classic space invaders on PT too.

--
EMB

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <42701db4$(E-Mail Removed)>,
David Preece <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In related news you used to be able to get widgets to backup hard drives
>onto VHS video. Presumably the sticking point came when you had to try
>and restore it, but the idea's good.

Write-only backup storage--of course!

Jerry

Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> Does anyone know of a recent program which allows you to print out data
> onto paper (It gets encoded as columns of white or black squares)? All I
> can find is the ancient www.paperdisk.com.
>
> Cheers,
> Nicholas Sherlock

Not recent and not quite paper, but in the mid 60s IBM produced a
device, the 1360 to store data photographically, on film. The machine
stored a huge (for it's time) trillion bits of data.

Some neat stuff about it at
http://www.nersc.gov/~deboni/Compute...hotostore.html

There is also a pic on that site of the 2321 "noodle snatcher". I've
seen this stuff working, but thankfully I never had to work on either of
them.

Jerry

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jerry <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Not recent and not quite paper, but in the mid 60s IBM produced a
>device, the 1360 to store data photographically, on film. The machine
>stored a huge (for it's time) trillion bits of data.
>
>Some neat stuff about it at
>http://www.nersc.gov/~deboni/Compute...hotostore.html

1) Pity he couldn't spell "boustrophedonically", and
2) In the Google age, you'd think the words "look it up" would be
redundant...