Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox (Debian Linux) won't quit

Firefox (Debian Linux) won't quit

ANC

I run Kanotix, which is basically Debian 'Sid'. Firefox runs fine... with
acrobat, flash, etc. I have no extensions (that I know of.)

I just don't understand why, when I sometimes close Firefox after running it
for many hours, it quits the screen... but the process still runs. When I
start it again I get a pop-up saying I need to resart my system. Of course
I just do a "ps aux | grep fire" and find the PID and kill it. But I wonder
how a less-experienced person would handle it? Reboot each time?

I have the latest version:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686;
en-US; rv:1.8.0.1)
Gecko/20060313
Debian/1.5.dfsg+1.5.0.1-4
Firefox/1.5.0.1

Anyone have an idea why FF does not end its own process? I recently upgraded
hal and udev and dbus but I doubt they have anything to do with it.
Otherwise, no changes for a long time.

I can't figure this one out.

Thanks,
Al

Miller

*ANC* wrote on 31.03.06 17:50:
> I run Kanotix, which is basically Debian 'Sid'. Firefox runs fine... with
> acrobat, flash, etc. I have no extensions (that I know of.)
>
> I just don't understand why, when I sometimes close Firefox after running it
> for many hours, it quits the screen... but the process still runs.

[..snip..]
> Anyone have an idea why FF does not end its own process? I recently upgraded
> hal and udev and dbus but I doubt they have anything to do with it.
> Otherwise, no changes for a long time.

I think it doesn't depend on your Linux-Software or recent changes of it.
I often have the same problem - on a windows xp machine.
Noticed that this effect increased all of a sudden after i upgraded from
FF 1.0.7 to FF 1.5.

bye, Miller

gwtc

ANC wrote:

> I run Kanotix, which is basically Debian 'Sid'. Firefox runs fine... with
> acrobat, flash, etc. I have no extensions (that I know of.)
>
> I just don't understand why, when I sometimes close Firefox after running it
> for many hours, it quits the screen... but the process still runs. When I
> start it again I get a pop-up saying I need to resart my system. Of course
> I just do a "ps aux | grep fire" and find the PID and kill it. But I wonder
> how a less-experienced person would handle it? Reboot each time?
>
> I have the latest version:
>
> Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686;
> en-US; rv:1.8.0.1)
> Gecko/20060313
> Debian/1.5.dfsg+1.5.0.1-4
> Firefox/1.5.0.1
>
> Anyone have an idea why FF does not end its own process? I recently upgraded
> hal and udev and dbus but I doubt they have anything to do with it.
> Otherwise, no changes for a long time.
>
> I can't figure this one out.
>
> Thanks,
> Al

its a known problem, especially with windows, and right now, there is
no known solution, because its hard to pin-point exactly whats causing it.

ANC

gwtc wrote:

> ANC wrote:
>
>> I run Kanotix, which is basically Debian 'Sid'. Firefox runs fine... with
>> acrobat, flash, etc. I have no extensions (that I know of.)
>>
>> I just don't understand why, when I sometimes close Firefox after running
>> it for many hours, it quits the screen... but the process still runs.
>> When I start it again I get a pop-up saying I need to resart my system.
>> Of course I just do a "ps aux | grep fire" and find the PID and kill it.
>> But I wonder how a less-experienced person would handle it? Reboot each
>> time?
>>
>> I have the latest version:
>>
>> Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686;
>> en-US; rv:1.8.0.1)
>> Gecko/20060313
>> Debian/1.5.dfsg+1.5.0.1-4
>> Firefox/1.5.0.1
>>
>> Anyone have an idea why FF does not end its own process? I recently
>> upgraded hal and udev and dbus but I doubt they have anything to do with
>> it. Otherwise, no changes for a long time.
>>
>> I can't figure this one out.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Al
>>

> its a known problem, especially with windows, and right now, there is
> no known solution, because its hard to pin-point exactly whats causing it.

Thank you SO much for the info. Do you know where this problem might be
documented. I'd like to share the info (link) with the Kanotix folks, etc.
so that others don't keep pulling their hair out on this (and I don't have
much hair I can spare!!)

Al

gwtc

ANC wrote:

> gwtc wrote:
>

>>ANC wrote:
>>

>>>I run Kanotix, which is basically Debian 'Sid'. Firefox runs fine... with
>>>acrobat, flash, etc. I have no extensions (that I know of.)
>>>
>>>I just don't understand why, when I sometimes close Firefox after running
>>>it for many hours, it quits the screen... but the process still runs.
>>>When I start it again I get a pop-up saying I need to resart my system.
>>>Of course I just do a "ps aux | grep fire" and find the PID and kill it.
>>>But I wonder how a less-experienced person would handle it? Reboot each
>>>time?
>>>
>>>I have the latest version:
>>>
>>>Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686;
>>>en-US; rv:1.8.0.1)
>>>Gecko/20060313
>>>Debian/1.5.dfsg+1.5.0.1-4
>>>Firefox/1.5.0.1
>>>
>>>Anyone have an idea why FF does not end its own process? I recently
>>>upgraded hal and udev and dbus but I doubt they have anything to do with
>>>it. Otherwise, no changes for a long time.
>>>
>>>I can't figure this one out.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Al
>>>

>>its a known problem, especially with windows, and right now, there is
>>no known solution, because its hard to pin-point exactly whats causing it.

> Thank you SO much for the info. Do you know where this problem might be
> documented. I'd like to share the info (link) with the Kanotix folks, etc.
> so that others don't keep pulling their hair out on this (and I don't have
> much hair I can spare!!)
>
> Al

As far as I know its not documented anywhere, but in the FF support
newsgroups. You might want to look for it here:
http://www.mozillazine.org/

The problem is people just don't know what the problem is. I mean,
some day its because of the way FF is being closed. Others say its
because of Streaming Media. Others will insist its extensions or
themes causing the problem. Still others will say something else.

As you can see, we can't pinpoint what the problem is. For me, I
don't know what people are talking about. I've never experienced this
problem. But, lots of others have.

Moz Champion (Dan)

gwtc wrote:
> ANC wrote:
>
>> gwtc wrote:

>>> its a known problem, especially with windows, and right now, there is
>>> no known solution, because its hard to pin-point exactly whats
>>> causing it.

>> Thank you SO much for the info. Do you know where this problem might be
>> documented. I'd like to share the info (link) with the Kanotix folks,
>> etc.
>> so that others don't keep pulling their hair out on this (and I don't
>> have
>> much hair I can spare!!)
>>
>> Al
>>

> As far as I know its not documented anywhere, but in the FF support
> newsgroups. You might want to look for it here:
> http://www.mozillazine.org/
>
> The problem is people just don't know what the problem is. I mean,
> some day its because of the way FF is being closed. Others say its
> because of Streaming Media. Others will insist its extensions or
> themes causing the problem. Still others will say something else.
>
> As you can see, we can't pinpoint what the problem is. For me, I
> don't know what people are talking about. I've never experienced this
> problem. But, lots of others have.

Question:
How are you 'closing' Firefox?
"Closing" the window is sometimes just that - the Window is closed but
any other processes that are running are not terminated.
Use File-->Quit (I believe thats the menu command in Linux) and you
shouldnt have any problems

Close is to close the window. In both Linux and Windows, when you close
the last window, the program should quit as well - but this only holds
true IF there are no other processes running
The use of File-->Quit (File-->Exit on windows) will terminate the open
window (or windows) and all running processes.

Use that and you should be fine.

On macs, one is used to using <application name>-->Quit to Quit a
program. It is readily apparent on macs that closing the window doesnt
quit the program because the menu (across the top of the desktop) still
shows the programs menu. On Windows (and Linux?) the menu is within the
window, so its not as apparent.

ANC

Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

> Close *is to close the window. In both Linux and Windows, when you close
> the last window, the program should quit as well - but this only holds
> true IF there are no other processes running
> The use of File-->Quit *(File-->Exit on windows) will terminate the open
> window (or windows) and all running processes.
>
> Use that and you should be fine.

I saw this proposal discussed in another thread and I give it a good test
this week and it MAKES NO DIFFERENCE. I wish you were right but on my Linux
(Kanotix) system with latest debian package of FF, using file->quit still
leaves processes running SOMETIMES.

I left FF running all night and there was no problem this morning.

It's a puzzlement.

I think (more like guess) it happens when you go to a website that
'hangs' (won't load) and even though you click the X to stop it, it keeps a
process or 'something' going... which is not killed when you quit/close FF.
Just a guess. It might be Flash, or perhaps it could be a Java applet, or
perhaps Adobe reader. I have no extentions loaded and only use those
plugins. The only other thing I can think of would be a bad piece of
javascript code... but I kind of doubt that JS could keep FF from killing
off its processes when it closes.

Al

Re: firefox quit working Rom Firefox 0 05-02-2008 09:19 AM
Re: firefox quit working Lukan Firefox 0 05-02-2008 05:46 AM
firefox quit and wont work Vernon Firefox 10 10-11-2005 04:12 PM
newbie having trouble with control structures: loop till recieve string QUIT M. Duijkers Perl 2 12-12-2004 11:02 AM
Junk Controls Quit David C Kifer Firefox 0 11-17-2004 06:59 PM

Advertisments