Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > virus scanner

Reply
Thread Tools

virus scanner

 
 
Peter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-24-2005

What recommendations for virus scanner for home PC running Win98 or WinXP?
I hear the free version of AVG is ok.

Also, is zonealarm still a good choice for firewall on Win98 / ME?
(Assuming the firewall with WinXP SP2 is adequate - is it?)

This is for home systems on dial up or jetstream.

TIA

Peter

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jay
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-24-2005

"Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> What recommendations for virus scanner for home PC running Win98 or WinXP?
> I hear the free version of AVG is ok.


I've had no problems with AVG

> Also, is zonealarm still a good choice for firewall on Win98 / ME?
> (Assuming the firewall with WinXP SP2 is adequate - is it?)


I had a few problems with ZoneAlarm - mostly services not starting
(dependancies timing out).
I use Kerio and have had no problems there.

Jay


> This is for home systems on dial up or jetstream.
>
> TIA
>
> Peter
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
FreedomChooser
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-25-2005
On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 10:42:12 +1200, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>
>What recommendations for virus scanner for home PC running Win98 or WinXP?
>I hear the free version of AVG is ok.
>
>Also, is zonealarm still a good choice for firewall on Win98 / ME?
>(Assuming the firewall with WinXP SP2 is adequate - is it?)
>
>This is for home systems on dial up or jetstream.


Why are tou asking for ZA for a firewall on 98 and then in the next
section talking about XP2 firewall

SP2 firewall does not run on Windows 98

I have had no problems at all running ZA 5.5 on Windows 98
It is a good piece of software

 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-25-2005
FreedomChooser wrote:
> Why are tou asking for ZA for a firewall on 98 and then in the next
> section talking about XP2 firewall


Occasionally people ask me about how to look after / maintain their home
computers, and usually this just involves recommending they install
updates, run a virus checker (and keep the definitions up to date) and run
a firewall. I don't use windows much so I just wanted to check what the
current preferences are for this stuff.

Probably should add in a spyware checker, too. What do you think is best
pick of these?

> SP2 firewall does not run on Windows 98


I know.
I was asking about a firewall for Win98, on the assumption that the WinXP
SP2 firewall is adequate (which may be a rash assumption).

cheers

Peter

 
Reply With Quote
 
FreedomChooser
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-25-2005
On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:08:18 +1200, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>FreedomChooser wrote:
>> Why are tou asking for ZA for a firewall on 98 and then in the next
>> section talking about XP2 firewall

>
>Occasionally people ask me about how to look after / maintain their home
>computers, and usually this just involves recommending they install
>updates, run a virus checker (and keep the definitions up to date) and run
>a firewall. I don't use windows much so I just wanted to check what the
>current preferences are for this stuff.
>
>Probably should add in a spyware checker, too. What do you think is best
>pick of these?
>
>> SP2 firewall does not run on Windows 98

>
>I know.
>I was asking about a firewall for Win98, on the assumption that the WinXP
>SP2 firewall is adequate (which may be a rash assumption).


The only reason I can see for you asking this is to recommend 98 over
XP?

Anyone who recommends people install 98 in preference to XP needs
their head read

 
Reply With Quote
 
XPD
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-25-2005

"Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> What recommendations for virus scanner for home PC running Win98 or WinXP?
> I hear the free version of AVG is ok.


I use AVG on all my systems and any client systems that need AV. havent had
a fault with it yet.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-25-2005
FreedomChooser wrote:
> The only reason I can see for you asking this is to recommend 98 over
> XP?


Where did you get that idea from?

Some people have a PC with Win98. It is generally considered worthwhile to
install a firewall on such PCs, if they are going to connect to the
internet.

OTOH some people have a PC running Win XP. With SP2, this has a firewall,
so it would not be necessary to install a firewall on these PCs (assuming
the Win XP firewall is adequate).


Peter

 
Reply With Quote
 
Phstpok
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-25-2005
XPD wrote:
> "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>What recommendations for virus scanner for home PC running Win98 or WinXP?
>>I hear the free version of AVG is ok.

>
>
> I use AVG on all my systems and any client systems that need AV. havent had
> a fault with it yet.
>
>


I have recently changed to Antivir www.free-av.com

No real problems with AVG which I used for ages, Antivir seems to have a
new dat file every night and it found virii I knew must be there but
were not found by AVG.

Rob
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ross
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-26-2005
On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 14:52:08 +1200, "XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>
>"Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> What recommendations for virus scanner for home PC running Win98 or WinXP?
>> I hear the free version of AVG is ok.

>
>I use AVG on all my systems and any client systems that need AV. havent had
>a fault with it yet.


Some Windows 98 systems have problems. I had to change one of mine to
AVAST! due to frequent "invalid page" faults. (And yes, the RAM tested
good).

 
Reply With Quote
 
DoggNZ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-27-2005
On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:00:02 +1200, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>FreedomChooser wrote:
>> The only reason I can see for you asking this is to recommend 98 over
>> XP?

>
>Where did you get that idea from?
>
>Some people have a PC with Win98. It is generally considered worthwhile to
>install a firewall on such PCs, if they are going to connect to the
>internet.
>
>OTOH some people have a PC running Win XP. With SP2, this has a firewall,
>so it would not be necessary to install a firewall on these PCs (assuming
>the Win XP firewall is adequate).
>
>
>Peter


FreedomChooser = Moron
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flat Bed Scanner + Enlarger = Film Scanner? G. Huang Digital Photography 10 08-07-2011 03:46 PM
Virus scanner bug cost Trend $8 million Goofy The Lounge 6 09-16-2005 02:29 PM
epson (or others) flat bed scanner vs film scanner Albert Ma Digital Photography 1 10-30-2004 02:39 AM
Virus, Virus, Virus..... Phil B Computer Support 2 09-22-2003 05:02 PM



Advertisments