Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Gigabit symmetric broadband...

Gigabit symmetric broadband...

Matthew Poole

In article <aG0be.1178$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Jedmeister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Matthew Poole" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:d4hltu$hvi$(E-Mail Removed)...

*SNIP*
>People like you have no idea.

Oh, is that so? You've played with ISP- and telco-level hardware I take
it?

>Have you every lived overseas? Probably not by your narrow minded comments.

Actually, yes. I've also played this game at the carrier level. I know
what the hardware costs are like.
Fibre is cheap. The hardware to support symmetric gig-to-the-home is
very definitely not. Wireless cannot even do 100Mb/s yet, let alone
gig, and certainly can't do bi-di gig to multiple points simultaneously.
That leaves terrestrial, which needs to be fibre. That requires a
massive investment in the hardware needed to terminate, route and switch
hundreds or thousands of connections. A city the size of Auckland
wouldn't give much change out of a large chunk of nine figures.

--
Matthew Poole
"Veni, vidi, velcro...

My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

Jedmeister

"Matthew Poole" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d4hltu$hvi$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <L8Vae.1090$(E-Mail Removed)>, "JedMeister"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>"Matthew Poole" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:d4h3pk$dnf$(E-Mail Removed)...

> *SNIP*
>>Take that attitude and NZ would be 3rd world in all regards.
>>

> Go blow a goat. My record on this is well documented in this forum.

People like you have no idea.

Have you every lived overseas? Probably not by your narrow minded comments.

Jedmeister

"Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:426c4547$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bling-Bling wrote:
> >
>> Gigabit Symmetric broadband launched in Hongkong!
>>

> The question is, why? At that rate you could download 1GB every 8 seconds.
> 60GB in 8 minutes. You could fill most hard disks within an hour.
>
> The only use would be streaming, but even then it would be unlikely that
> you could anywhere near that unless your ntwork connection service
> supplied things like video or fims on demand, probably at a premium cost.
> I can't see that happening in NZ.
>
> Until the infrastructure is there (and it will probably come) massive
> bandwidth is a waste of money.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Which came first? The chicken or the egg? Applications would quickly popup
that could use that extra bandwidth.

Matthew Poole

In article <pan.2005.04.25.07.53.50.351126@TRACKER>, Bling-Bling <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 06:40:49 +0000, Matthew Poole wrote:

*SNIP*
>> You've tested this? You've passed files that are hundreds of meg in
>> size, simultaneously, between multiple machines?

>Yes.
>
>BTW, my switch is a managed/programable switch. I've stuck it out with my
>router and my server because of the fan noise.

And that cost you how much? Several hundred dollars would be my guess.
It's a far cry from a managed switch for SOHO to a carrier-grade,
chassis-based one suitable for use in a network that will likely end up
replacing the traditional telco network - in other words, it must be
able to achieve the five nines, if not better, and do it for years on
end.

--

In article <pan.2005.04.25.07.57.12.395756@TRACKER>, Bling-Bling <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 06:45:03 +0000, Matthew Poole wrote:

*SNIP*
>There is fibre optic cabling to within 8 feet of my home.
>
>I know this - I saw it being installed.

Connected to what, exactly?
Fibre is, as I said, cheap. It's now cheaper, metre-for-metre, than
copper. The cost is in the termination equipment, be it routing or
switching. Multiply the switching requirement by hundreds of ports, and
it gets really expensive, really quickly.

--
Matthew Poole
"Veni, vidi, velcro...
I came, I saw, I stuck around"

My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

Bling-Bling

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:24:57 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

>> With fibre optic cabling, the population density doesn't
> > matter all that much - because the distribution network
> > could be (is?) modeled just like the Internet, with nodes
> > and backbones in various places.
>>

> The backbone routers (and all other routers on the network)
> would have to be upgraded to multi-gigabit and that is
> expensive.

I don't agree.

My LAN at home is entirely gigabit ethernet. My GigE switch can handle
multi-gigabit quantities of data going through it simultaniously between
all 5 computers (obviously not all going to or from the one computer).

If the technology already exist to cheaply do GigE at home then the means
be also there to provide similar functionality over an ISP's WAN.

The technology is already there with multi-gigabit bandwidth currently
going unused between NZ, Australia, and the USA.

All that is presently missing is the WILL to provide this service for a
reasonable flat-rate fee!

Bling Bling

Matthew Poole

In article <426caa9f$(E-Mail Removed)>, Stewart Fleming <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Matthew Poole wrote:

*SNIP*
>There IS a fair amount of high-level gear out there (via TradeMe etc)
>that makes me wonder if Gigabit networking is not out of reach of a
>concerted small community effort (leave metro to Telcos and other
>consortia).

Oh, there surely is. But that's small-scale and you definitely couldn't
support symmetric gig with any kind of reliability. Not to mention the
minor issue of then linking that back out to the real world. No point
having a massive pipe into your bedroom if you're using ISDN to connect
to the world - it'd be like drawing from a fire hydrant with a garden
hose in order to feed the 90mm hose that's going out the other side.

The thing people forget is that it's not just the infrastructure to
connect your clients to you, it's also the infrastructure to connect you
to the world. And OC-48 (or higher) ATM cards don't come cheaply. Nor
do the routers that you plug them into.

--

In article <pan.2005.04.25.08.32.25.860726@TRACKER>, Bling-Bling <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 07:15:56 +0000, Matthew Poole wrote:
>
>>>There is fibre optic cabling to within 8 feet of my home.
>>>
>>>I know this - I saw it being installed.
>>>

>> Connected to what, exactly?

>The (Saturn) telephone and cable infrastructure within the building.

And at the other end? The end that matters. The end that delivers your
gig-to-the-home connection to you and all your neighbours.

--

In article <pan.2005.04.25.08.42.40.50416@TRACKER>, Bling-Bling <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>The (Saturn) telephone and cable infrastructure within the building.
>>>

>> And at the other end? The end that matters. The end that delivers your
>> gig-to-the-home connection to you and all your neighbours.

>Um...
>
>Both ends matter.
>
>The (de)multiplexing happens at both ends.

And it doesn't connect to the massive core equipment required to support
symmetric gig. There's no call for it, thus it's not installed.
Plus cable isn't ethernet, so the equipment isn't necessarily compatible
in the first place. Cable is incapable of delivering speeds that high,
it's not designed for it. Gig-E is, surprise surprise, delivered over
ethernet, which means that providing you with gig-to-the-home would
require replacement of the hardware at both ends of the link.