Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Gigabit symmetric broadband...

Gigabit symmetric broadband...

Bling-Bling

Gigabit Symmetric broadband launched in Hongkong!
Makes what's on offer here in NZ look totally pathetic!

http://www.convergedigest.com/Bandwi...e.asp?ID=14545
Hong Kong Broadband Launches 1 Gbps Home Service for US$215/month
21-Apr-05

Hong Kong Broadband Network (HKBN) officially launched its 1 Gbps
symmetric service for the residential market. Approximately 800,000
households, out of a total of 2.2 million households in Hong Kong, are
wired to receive the service. The 1 Gbps symmetric service is priced at
US$215 per month.

HKBN noted that its 1 Gbps service is up to 166x faster downstream and
1,950x faster upstream than the advertised bandwidth of the incumbent's
ADSL service.

HKBN Premium bb1000 service is being offered on the same metro Ethernet
infrastructure that delivers the company's Mass Market bb100 (symmetric
100 Mbps for US$34/month) and Entry Point bb10 (symmetric 10 Mbps for
US$16/month) services.

==

Matthew Poole

In article <pan.2005.04.24.13.08.32.575946@TRACKER>, Bling-Bling <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
*SNIP*
>Hong Kong Broadband Network (HKBN) officially launched its 1 Gbps
>symmetric service for the residential market. Approximately 800,000
>households, out of a total of 2.2 million households in Hong Kong, are

*SNIP*

Much as I hate to be seen as possibly supporting our crap network
infrastructure, where in NZ could you find 800,000 households in the
same land area as Hong Kong, let alone 2.2 million?

--
Matthew Poole
"Veni, vidi, velcro...

My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

-=rjh=-

Bling-Bling wrote:
> Gigabit Symmetric broadband launched in Hongkong!
> Makes what's on offer here in NZ look totally pathetic!

We'll get it here one day; but with a 1GB cap

JedMeister

"Matthew Poole" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d4h3pk$dnf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <pan.2005.04.24.13.08.32.575946@TRACKER>, Bling-Bling
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> *SNIP*
>>Hong Kong Broadband Network (HKBN) officially launched its 1 Gbps
>>symmetric service for the residential market. Approximately 800,000
>>households, out of a total of 2.2 million households in Hong Kong, are

> *SNIP*
>
> Much as I hate to be seen as possibly supporting our crap network
> infrastructure, where in NZ could you find 800,000 households in the
> same land area as Hong Kong, let alone 2.2 million?
>
> --
> Matthew Poole
> "Veni, vidi, velcro...
> I came, I saw, I stuck around"
>
> My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

Take that attitude and NZ would be 3rd world in all regards.

Bling-Bling

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 20:41:09 +0000, Matthew Poole wrote:

>>Hong Kong Broadband Network (HKBN) officially launched its 1 Gbps
>>symmetric service for the residential market. Approximately 800,000
>>households, out of a total of 2.2 million households in Hong Kong, are

> *SNIP*
>
> Much as I hate to be seen as possibly supporting our crap network
> infrastructure, where in NZ could you find 800,000 households in the
> same land area as Hong Kong, let alone 2.2 million?

With fibre optic cabling, the population density doesn't matter all that
much - because the distribution network could be (is?) modeled just like
the Internet, with nodes and backbones in various places.

Certainly within The City such a service would be possible for all the
new and existing high-rise accomodation that is being developed. How
Auckland and other places would be able to deal with it is another story.

Bling Bling

FreedomChooser

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 01:08:33 +1200, Bling-Bling
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Gigabit Symmetric broadband launched in Hongkong!
>Makes what's on offer here in NZ look totally pathetic!

we always knew you were pathetic

Enkidu

Bling-Bling wrote:

> Gigabit Symmetric broadband launched in Hongkong!

The question is, why? At that rate you could download 1GB
every 8 seconds. 60GB in 8 minutes. You could fill most hard
disks within an hour.

The only use would be streaming, but even then it would be
unlikely that you could anywhere near that unless your
ntwork connection service supplied things like video or fims
on demand, probably at a premium cost. I can't see that
happening in NZ.

Until the infrastructure is there (and it will probably
come) massive bandwidth is a waste of money.

Cheers,

Cliff

Enkidu

Bling-Bling wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 20:41:09 +0000, Matthew Poole wrote:
>
>> Much as I hate to be seen as possibly supporting our
>> crap network infrastructure, where in NZ could you
>> find 800,000 households in the same land area
>> as Hong Kong, let alone 2.2 million?

> With fibre optic cabling, the population density doesn't
> matter all that much - because the distribution network
> could be (is?) modeled just like the Internet, with nodes
> and backbones in various places.

The backbone routers (and all other routers on the network)
would have to be upgraded to multi-gigabit and that is
expensive.

Cheers,

Cliff

Matthew Poole

In article <L8Vae.1090$(E-Mail Removed)>, "JedMeister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Matthew Poole" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:d4h3pk$dnf$(E-Mail Removed)...

*SNIP*
>Take that attitude and NZ would be 3rd world in all regards.

Go blow a goat. My record on this is well documented in this forum.

--

In article <pan.2005.04.25.07.17.40.431207@TRACKER>, Bling-Bling <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:24:57 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

*SNIP*
>> The backbone routers (and all other routers on the network)
>> would have to be upgraded to multi-gigabit and that is
>> expensive.

>I don't agree.

Oh, don't you just?

>My LAN at home is entirely gigabit ethernet. My GigE switch can handle
>multi-gigabit quantities of data going through it simultaniously between
>all 5 computers (obviously not all going to or from the one computer).

You've tested this? You've passed files that are hundreds of meg in
size, simultaneously, between multiple machines?

>If the technology already exist to cheaply do GigE at home then the means
>be also there to provide similar functionality over an ISP's WAN.

*SNIP*
Do you have any idea how much carrier-class equipment costs? We're not
just talking about a pretend switch with a few RJ45 ports that carries
ethernet end-to-end.
As an example of the costs involved, a switch capable of carrying 52
gig-E fibre ports, all operating at full speed, will happily chew up six
figures of capital expenditure. Dinky little modular, unmanaged
switches don't cut it, carriers use modular, rack-mount, managed
hardware with hot-swap cards and multiple controllers. It's EXPENSIVE
to do it properly, and if you're going to offer this kind of service
properly is the only way to do it.