Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > FireFox 1.03 won't install themes

FireFox 1.03 won't install themes

Rob J

Every time I try to install a theme from a locally saved or download
linked jar file it says the file is corrupt/invalid. Why is this?

Gordon

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 16:49:59 +1200, Rob J wrote:

> Every time I try to install a theme from a locally saved or download
> linked jar file it says the file is corrupt/invalid. Why is this?

Which platform?

It is a case of the thems having to fit themselves to Firefox, so when
firefox changes it takes a wee while until the themes "catch up".

Remember the themes are written by third parties.

Impossible

news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 16:49:59 +1200, Rob J wrote:
>
>> Every time I try to install a theme from a locally saved or
>> download
>> linked jar file it says the file is corrupt/invalid. Why is this?

> Which platform?
>
> It is a case of the thems having to fit themselves to Firefox, so
> when
> firefox changes it takes a wee while until the themes "catch up".
>
> Remember the themes are written by third parties.

Ah, freedom!

Adam

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 16:49:59 +1200, Rob J wrote:

>Every time I try to install a theme from a locally saved or download
>linked jar file it says the file is corrupt/invalid. Why is this?

Ahah! And I thought it was just me!

I just reinstalled FF and was messing about with Themes and found the
same problem.

Oddly, once you've downloaded the .jar files, tried running locally
(unsuccessfully), then tried the whole thing again from scratch, the
usual "Themes/Extensions" pop-up window fires up and all seems OK from
there on - with the once problematical themes installing fine.

Something definitely not quite Kosher there - but it's still a far
better browser (IMHO) than IE, once you have a few decent extensions
added. I particularly like the Web Developer one - plus ColorZilla and
TabBrowser.

Adam (the one NOT in the UK!).

Thor

Adam wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 16:49:59 +1200, Rob J wrote:
>
>>Every time I try to install a theme from a locally saved or download
>>linked jar file it says the file is corrupt/invalid. Why is this?

> Ahah! And I thought it was just me!
>
> I just reinstalled FF and was messing about with Themes and found the
> same problem.

Themes are just eye-candy, seriousely what do they add to the webpage you
are browsing.

> Something definitely not quite Kosher there - but it's still a far
> better browser (IMHO) than IE, once you have a few decent extensions
> added. I particularly like the Web Developer one - plus ColorZilla and
> TabBrowser.

However in saying that there is a theme installer extention, my favorites
are spoofstick and the gmail checker,

--
*~~~~~~~~~Thor

Adam

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 21:48:22 +1200, Thor wrote:

>Adam wrote:

>> I just reinstalled FF and was messing about with Themes and found the
>> same problem.

>Themes are just eye-candy, seriousely what do they add to the webpage you
>are browsing.

I quite agree (ie. *nothing* <g>) - but I spend a _lot_ of my working
day in a browser. Some of the themes have either more legible icons,
or simply more compact versions. Usability is an issue for me. Once
decided on a theme, I tend to stick with it.

For me, the ability to quickly view the page source and/or validate a
page in a new *tab* far outweighs the dubious eye-candy of a theme.

>However in saying that there is a theme installer extention, my favorites
>are spoofstick and the gmail checker,

Spoofstick looks good - but no workee on 1.03 <??>.

Adam.

Phstpok

Adam wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 21:48:22 +1200, Thor wrote:
>

>>Adam wrote:

>>>I just reinstalled FF and was messing about with Themes and found the
>>>same problem.

>>Themes are just eye-candy, seriousely what do they add to the webpage you
>>are browsing.

> I quite agree (ie. *nothing* <g>) - but I spend a _lot_ of my working
> day in a browser. Some of the themes have either more legible icons,
> or simply more compact versions. Usability is an issue for me. Once
> decided on a theme, I tend to stick with it.
>
> For me, the ability to quickly view the page source and/or validate a
> page in a new *tab* far outweighs the dubious eye-candy of a theme.
>

>>However in saying that there is a theme installer extention, my favorites
>>are spoofstick and the gmail checker,

> Spoofstick looks good - but no workee on 1.03 <??>.
>
> Adam.

Foxytunes and Autocopy are the only extensions that get used here.
Great to be able to control media players from inside the browser,
though it does take up a little real estate.

Rob

rlj

Adam wrote:

>>However in saying that there is a theme installer extention, my favorites
>>are spoofstick and the gmail checker,

> Spoofstick looks good - but no workee on 1.03 <??>.
>
> Adam.

Spoofstick v1.05 works for me in FF1.03

What was the problem?

rlj

Can't install themes. Busman Firefox 1 03-05-2006 12:37 AM
Can't install themes in firefox leonard Firefox 1 10-01-2005 06:18 AM
Thunderbird themes won't install : "not compatible with Firefox" Z Firefox 4 01-08-2005 04:58 PM
Firefox themes download/install lynchknot Firefox 0 11-19-2004 10:22 PM
Really get sick and tired of this. Themes and extensions DON'T install??!!! Galaxy Firefox 8 07-03-2004 11:55 PM

Advertisments