Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Opinions on Fedora?

Opinions on Fedora?

Dany P. Wu

Hi everyone,

It's that time again for me. Time to replace the dead server at home!

I'm tossing up as to what I would like to use. I have Win 2000 and 2003
Server available but somehow they're not quite right. I deal with Microsoft
everyday at work and don't really want to come home to any more if I can
help it.

I've laid my hands on Debian, Redhat and Slackware distros. Recently I have
just discovered Fedora. Can anyone give me their opinions on this distro? I
would like a standard console-based server, i.e. web, mail, ftp, and maybe
Samba filesharing as well. Is this distro suitable? Can I get some kind of
web-based remote admin for it?

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Dany.

shannon

Dany P. Wu wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> It's that time again for me. Time to replace the dead server at home!
>
> I'm tossing up as to what I would like to use. I have Win 2000 and 2003
> Server available but somehow they're not quite right. I deal with Microsoft
> everyday at work and don't really want to come home to any more if I can
> help it.
>
> I've laid my hands on Debian, Redhat and Slackware distros. Recently I have
> just discovered Fedora. Can anyone give me their opinions on this distro? I
> would like a standard console-based server, i.e. web, mail, ftp, and maybe
> Samba filesharing as well. Is this distro suitable? Can I get some kind of
> web-based remote admin for it?
>
> Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Dany.

Check out http://contribs.org/
or use Debian with webmin

Gordon

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 21:20:41 +1200, Dany P. Wu wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> It's that time again for me. Time to replace the dead server at home!
>
> I'm tossing up as to what I would like to use. I have Win 2000 and 2003
> Server available but somehow they're not quite right. I deal with Microsoft
> everyday at work and don't really want to come home to any more if I can
> help it.
>
> I've laid my hands on Debian, Redhat and Slackware distros. Recently I have
> just discovered Fedora. Can anyone give me their opinions on this distro? I
> would like a standard console-based server, i.e. web, mail, ftp, and maybe
> Samba filesharing as well. Is this distro suitable? Can I get some kind of
> web-based remote admin for it?
>
> Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Fedora is the cutting edge for Red Hat.

Ms Penguin has just spotted your posting. Her response was who cares what
colour it is, for it will take you there.

Linux loves to Network, mail, web, php, ftp, Samba and etc.

"standard console-based server" MS Penguin better not see this, think she
missed it on the first reading. WTF would one want a GUI server?

Goo on you for trying something different. Welcome to something which is
different, but not unusual.

Graeme Woollett

Dany P. Wu wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> It's that time again for me. Time to replace the dead server at home!
>
> I'm tossing up as to what I would like to use. I have Win 2000 and 2003
> Server available but somehow they're not quite right. I deal with Microsoft
> everyday at work and don't really want to come home to any more if I can
> help it.
>
> I've laid my hands on Debian, Redhat and Slackware distros. Recently I have
> just discovered Fedora. Can anyone give me their opinions on this distro? I
> would like a standard console-based server, i.e. web, mail, ftp, and maybe
> Samba filesharing as well. Is this distro suitable? Can I get some kind of
> web-based remote admin for it?
>
> Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Dany.

Debian

Shane

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 21:20:41 +1200, Dany P. Wu wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> It's that time again for me. Time to replace the dead server at home!
>
> I'm tossing up as to what I would like to use. I have Win 2000 and 2003
> Server available but somehow they're not quite right. I deal with Microsoft
> everyday at work and don't really want to come home to any more if I can
> help it.
>
> I've laid my hands on Debian, Redhat and Slackware distros. Recently I have
> just discovered Fedora. Can anyone give me their opinions on this distro? I
> would like a standard console-based server, i.e. web, mail, ftp, and maybe
> Samba filesharing as well. Is this distro suitable? Can I get some kind of
> web-based remote admin for it?
>
> Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Dany.

not knowing your skillset makes it harder to choose,
but whats stopping you giving them all a go and seeing for yourself which
best suits your needs?
all the distros are capable, all have their ups and downs, redhat (presume
you mean 9.0) is getting long in the tooth, slackware is my personal
favourite, and Debian has an _excellent_ reputation, although it puts
stability over functionality(?) (i mean new toys)
having said that there are ways and means
HTH

Dany P. Wu

"Shane" <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net...

> not knowing your skillset makes it harder to choose,
> but whats stopping you giving them all a go and seeing for yourself which
> best suits your needs?
> all the distros are capable, all have their ups and downs, redhat (presume
> you mean 9.0) is getting long in the tooth, slackware is my personal
> favourite, and Debian has an _excellent_ reputation, although it puts
> stability over functionality(?) (i mean new toys)
> having said that there are ways and means
> HTH

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I guess I should've mentioned that I've played with various distros of
Linux, on and off (mostly off), since kernel version 1.1.13 or so - early
'94 (or 5?). Back then I was tying up the machine for a day or so
recompiling kernels and other applications to suite my needs.

It's just in the recent times I have only briefly played with RH 9.0 and
Debian. As you already said the former is getting a bit old, and I didn't
quite like the latter - just a personal opinion. I've looked around and
discovered two rather promising looking distros: Fedora and CentOS. I've
downloaded both of them and will give them a try when my new file server
arrives next Tuesday.

I'm still discovering the intricacies of Linux distro lincensing. It seems
that RH has commercial subscription for updates or some such? It would be
nice if users can get free notification of updates. I'm quite happy not to
have the updates provided, ala RPM, Deb, etc. It's just as easy to go to the
source of the update and recompile patches, etc. into the necessary bits. As
long as I know that certain things need to be patched. Is there such a thing
out there?

D.

shannon

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 10:58:33 +1200, Dany P. Wu wrote:

> "Shane" <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net...
>
>> not knowing your skillset makes it harder to choose,
>> but whats stopping you giving them all a go and seeing for yourself which
>> best suits your needs?
>> all the distros are capable, all have their ups and downs, redhat (presume
>> you mean 9.0) is getting long in the tooth, slackware is my personal
>> favourite, and Debian has an _excellent_ reputation, although it puts
>> stability over functionality(?) (i mean new toys)
>> having said that there are ways and means
>> HTH

> Thanks for all the replies guys.
>
> I guess I should've mentioned that I've played with various distros of
> Linux, on and off (mostly off), since kernel version 1.1.13 or so - early
> '94 (or 5?). Back then I was tying up the machine for a day or so
> recompiling kernels and other applications to suite my needs.
>
> It's just in the recent times I have only briefly played with RH 9.0 and
> Debian. As you already said the former is getting a bit old, and I didn't
> quite like the latter - just a personal opinion. I've looked around and
> discovered two rather promising looking distros: Fedora and CentOS. I've
> downloaded both of them and will give them a try when my new file server
> arrives next Tuesday.
>
> I'm still discovering the intricacies of Linux distro lincensing. It seems
> that RH has commercial subscription for updates or some such? It would be
> nice if users can get free notification of updates. I'm quite happy not to
> have the updates provided, ala RPM, Deb, etc. It's just as easy to go to the
> source of the update and recompile patches, etc. into the necessary bits. As
> long as I know that certain things need to be patched. Is there such a thing
> out there?
>
> D.

You are going to add pain to your life
Used Debian "testing" and run apt-get update, apt-get upgrade regularly
and let the package maintainers sort out the dependencies for you.

shannon

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 07:51:54 +1200, Shane wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 21:20:41 +1200, Dany P. Wu wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> It's that time again for me. Time to replace the dead server at home!
>>
>> I'm tossing up as to what I would like to use. I have Win 2000 and 2003
>> Server available but somehow they're not quite right. I deal with Microsoft
>> everyday at work and don't really want to come home to any more if I can
>> help it.
>>
>> I've laid my hands on Debian, Redhat and Slackware distros. Recently I have
>> just discovered Fedora. Can anyone give me their opinions on this distro? I
>> would like a standard console-based server, i.e. web, mail, ftp, and maybe
>> Samba filesharing as well. Is this distro suitable? Can I get some kind of
>> web-based remote admin for it?
>>
>> Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Dany.

> not knowing your skillset makes it harder to choose,
> but whats stopping you giving them all a go and seeing for yourself which
> best suits your needs?
> all the distros are capable, all have their ups and downs, redhat (presume
> you mean 9.0) is getting long in the tooth, slackware is my personal
> favourite, and Debian has an _excellent_ reputation, although it puts
> stability over functionality(?) (i mean new toys)
> having said that there are ways and means
> HTH

Thats a common misconception about Debian, you need to choose your
preferred release. Use "testing" or "unstable" or Ubuntu and you get all
the new stuff "stable" is for rock solid production servers that don't get
anything but security upgrades.

Shane

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 10:58:33 +1200, Dany P. Wu wrote:

> "Shane" <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net...
>
>> not knowing your skillset makes it harder to choose,
>> but whats stopping you giving them all a go and seeing for yourself which
>> best suits your needs?
>> all the distros are capable, all have their ups and downs, redhat (presume
>> you mean 9.0) is getting long in the tooth, slackware is my personal
>> favourite, and Debian has an _excellent_ reputation, although it puts
>> stability over functionality(?) (i mean new toys)
>> having said that there are ways and means
>> HTH

> Thanks for all the replies guys.
>
> I guess I should've mentioned that I've played with various distros of
> Linux, on and off (mostly off), since kernel version 1.1.13 or so - early
> '94 (or 5?). Back then I was tying up the machine for a day or so
> recompiling kernels and other applications to suite my needs.
>
> It's just in the recent times I have only briefly played with RH 9.0 and
> Debian. As you already said the former is getting a bit old, and I didn't
> quite like the latter - just a personal opinion. I've looked around and
> discovered two rather promising looking distros: Fedora and CentOS. I've
> downloaded both of them and will give them a try when my new file server
> arrives next Tuesday.
>
> I'm still discovering the intricacies of Linux distro lincensing. It seems
> that RH has commercial subscription for updates or some such? It would be
> nice if users can get free notification of updates. I'm quite happy not to
> have the updates provided, ala RPM, Deb, etc. It's just as easy to go to the
> source of the update and recompile patches, etc. into the necessary bits. As
> long as I know that certain things need to be patched. Is there such a thing
> out there?
>
> D.

yum is what they use on redhat iirc
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras_2fFedoraHOWTO