Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > adsl networking question

adsl networking question

SNOman

JC wrote:
> SNOman wrote:
>
>>JC wrote:
>>
>>>If you join up with one of the providers and they give you a

> standard
>
>>>adsl modem and you have more than one computer in the house, and a

> hub,
>
>>>are you able to share that one adsl modem with all the computers?

> Or do
>
>>>you need a modem/router combination? I hope you can understand

> what I
>
>>>mean. Im new to this adsl stuff.
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>

>>Yes, provided your modem has an ethernet interface to connect it to

> the
>
>>switch/hub

> Also, this may seem a strange question, but is there someway of
> splitting the data allowance between users? e.g. say you have a 10gb
> cap and five users, is there any software that will give each user 2gb
> to use?

Nope, because it's not the individual user/s which is using the data
cap, it's the account name with which the modem/router is logged into
the ADSL network.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

SNOman wrote:
>> Also, this may seem a strange question, but is there someway of
>> splitting the data allowance between users? e.g. say you have a 10gb
>> cap and five users, is there any software that will give each user 2gb
>> to use?

> Nope, because it's not the individual user/s which is using the data
> cap, it's the account name with which the modem/router is logged into
> the ADSL network.

you could do it yourself with a bit of auth and tinkerin, but it'd be
easier to not do it

also, say two users havent used all of their 2GB on the last day of the
month, say 500MB left each, are you gonna share it out? or just leave it
as is.

JedMeister

"JC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> If you join up with one of the providers and they give you a standard
> adsl modem and you have more than one computer in the house, and a hub,
> are you able to share that one adsl modem with all the computers? Or do
> you need a modem/router combination? I hope you can understand what I
> mean. Im new to this adsl stuff.
>
> Thanks

No, unfortunately.

Phstpok

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> SNOman wrote:
>
>>> Also, this may seem a strange question, but is there someway of
>>> splitting the data allowance between users? e.g. say you have a 10gb
>>> cap and five users, is there any software that will give each user 2gb
>>> to use?

>> Nope, because it's not the individual user/s which is using the data
>> cap, it's the account name with which the modem/router is logged into
>> the ADSL network.

> you could do it yourself with a bit of auth and tinkerin, but it'd be
> easier to not do it
>
> also, say two users havent used all of their 2GB on the last day of the
> month, say 500MB left each, are you gonna share it out? or just leave it
> as is.

Plenty of free software out there to keep an eye on what each box is
using, though. The problem is making sure each user keeps that monitor
running, unless you plan to set up a server/client setup, then it gets
both easier and harder.

Rob

Peter

JC wrote:
> Also, this may seem a strange question, but is there someway of
> splitting the data allowance between users? e.g. say you have a 10gb
> cap and five users, is there any software that will give each user 2gb
> to use?

yes - if you set up a proxy server on your network

Jedmeister

"JedMeister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:u2%9e.597$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "JC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> If you join up with one of the providers and they give you a standard
>> adsl modem and you have more than one computer in the house, and a hub,
>> are you able to share that one adsl modem with all the computers? Or do
>> you need a modem/router combination? I hope you can understand what I
>> mean. Im new to this adsl stuff.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> No, unfortunately.

canes will lose .

Robert Cooze

Shane wrote:

>>>yes

>>which question were you answering yes to?

> the ultimate question!
> (do I think the hurricanes will make the finals this year)

42 I think Is the answer

ChrisOD

In article <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>, Shane wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 13:23:39 +1200, Phstpok wrote:
>
>> Shane wrote:

>>> the ultimate question!
>>> (do I think the hurricanes will make the finals this year)

>> Darn, you might have just put the mickey on them.

> and thats why any money I have on the super 12 is on the blues

I suppose you don't like money then.
It is clearly Highlanders or Crusaders for the NZ teams, my pick is
Crusaders 'cos they often improve during the comp. And of course I
am one eyed.

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
"JC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If you join up with one of the providers and they give you a standard
>adsl modem and you have more than one computer in the house, and a hub,
>are you able to share that one adsl modem with all the computers? Or do
>you need a modem/router combination?

If the ADSL thingie they give you has an Ethernet port for connecting to
your PC, then it's pretty definitely a modem/router, and you should have
no worries. Just get a switch, connect its uplink port to the
modem/router, then hang all your PCs off the switch.

Basically: stay away from USB-based ADSL modems.